How did you get Introduced of This Whole Modding..

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me? Well I first got introduced to Flashcards by watching a Youtube video of this guy playing Battle Courses Online with Mario Kart DS. He told me he was using a Flashcard and that's when I first heard of them in my my life.

So what's your story?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I first heard of flash carts back in the early 90's, when the old Game Boy flash cart was still new and being advertised in (I think it was EGM).

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got involved in the whole modding scene around 2003 when a new kid moved in down the street, and I went to say hello. Turns out his parents are website designers and his dad is a big modding scene guy. He burned me a CD of 500 or so GBA roms and I found out about flashcarts like 2 weeks later.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across a site that had GBA roms on there and people were talking about what card to play it on...and at that time, I only had a GBA emulator on my HP that I would sometime play, and had NO IDEA that there was a cart for a DS and what-not.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Originally, I played Pokemon ROMs on VBA.
Then I wanted to play them on my real GBA.
Looked for flashcarts, I thought they were crazy with the prices, so I didn't buy one!
A year or three passed, then I noticed my cousin had a DS. And a DS-Xtreme. I wanted one, but again thought the price was crazy.
Another 6 months passed and I ended up getting a R4DS for my birthday. It was awesome.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Friends had flashcarts.
Me see friends with flash carts.
Me wants flash cart.
Friend gets me flash cart.
Me happy and modded with R4DS in my DS.
biggrin.gif

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When I went to the Philippines, when I was 6, to visit my family members. They sell modded Wiis etc there now. XP

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got introduced by a friend of mine, back in 96 or so...real big into Japanese culture and all that. He had his original Playstation modded and was playing all these import games.

That was insane to me. It was so much harder to find games back then and they were nothing size-wise compared to now. That and the fact that broad band was just getting started.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in '97 I first learned about a program in windows that allows you to play snes games, I believe it was super pasofami or something like that. It was before zsnes and snes9x. A year later I got a psone, and later learned about modchips. in 2000-2001 the gba came out and I learned of flash carts, I bought a 64MB Flash Advance for like $179....OUCH. I remember it took about 5 minutes to write a game to it. Amazing how things have changed now.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wanted to buy a GBA SP (because those things were awesome at the time) and I wanted to take my ROMs with me. From there I self taught everything I know by reading what other people have done.

It was from Costello that I found GBATemp because he wrote the X-ROM Flasher software for my flashcart.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, I found out about emulators.
Then, I saw GBA flash cards about "cool".
Later, I understood what modchips were adn considered doing it to my PS2 (never did though).
Eventually, I discovered DS cards and this site. Shortly after, I got an R4.
After lurking for a while here, I decided to mod my Wii.

The End.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started messing around with SNES emulators and roms and stuff in the late 90s I guess.

About 3 years ago while trying to find a way to back up my GTA San Andreas game which had become nearly unplayable I discovered soft-modding the ps2. Around the same time a friend of mine showed me a NES emulator for the GBA that he had on a flash card. I did some searching on my own and discovered a few sites including this one. I haven't looked back since.

S

scubersteve

"modding"?
Well, first encounter was probobly playing burned PS1 games on my friend's modded PS1.
Then, I heard that the dreamcast could play burned games without modding.
Did it with my friend's DC.
Had a totally legit PS2 for a while, then I got my PSP and modded the shit out of it.
Now, my PSP has been sold for a DS Lite, and I bought myself a DSTT.
I knew OF ds flash carts since my friend bought the original "phat" DS. GBA rominating was something to get me through the summers. I think I got to 50 years in HM:FoMT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."