How did you find out about your R4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by TaeK, Aug 7, 2007.

Aug 7, 2007
  1. TaeK
    OP

Member TaeK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I actually started this thread on NDSThemes's forum, but i'd like to hear a wider range of people's stories [​IMG] So how did you find your R4? word of mouth? a friend of a friend? relative?

My sister bought herself an R4, after her boyfriend told her about it and she asked me to help her with it, since it used a MicroSD, I thought, what the hell... might as well help her and it turned out it was pretty damn easy interface to get used to. After that, i got myself a DS Lite (thus, i got a DS Lite BECAUSE of the R4)

2. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    actually, i just knew there were modchips and stuff for the DS, and wanted to save some money so i searched for modchips and, well, liked the R4 best, [​IMG]

3. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Yeah, modchips. [​IMG]

If you've been hanging around the DS homebrew scene you're bound to find out sooner or later.

4. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I read a thread (Runnig Nintendo DS Roms on a DS from a Flash Card ) on OiNK.

5. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I read it on the internets somewhere

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I found out about it right here at GBAtemp.

7. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was on another forum (where the main talk was emulation and games) and the topic of NDS Flashcards came up. The main one being talked about in the beginning was the X9, and I wanted one really bad, but I just never got around to buying it. Then, everyone flipped out and started talking about something called the R4 that supposedly had perfect compatability with everything. Thus, my interest in the R4 and flashcards in general peaked and I coughed up the money for my very own.

8. aZnXrAvEr

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a slot-1 flash card when the Supercard DS One came out from RealHotStuff. SC DS One sucked, so I exchanged it for a R4DS.

9. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Here's my life story:

Well was looking at ds emulators (Just for curiosity [​IMG]) and found a comment of DS flash carts. Then i found out about the Nintendo DS flashcart and homebrew scene. Joined GBAtemp found the easiest and cheapiest flashcart via reviews. A week or five later and a proud owner of R4.

10. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Pff, I was there for the original acekard video.

11. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Well, I bought the DS-X a few months ago, and I wasn't member on GBATemp until around the Pokemans release. Then, I started reading about the R4, and how good it was compared to the actual flashcarts. As my sister would be getting a DS this summer, I'd buy an R4 and give her my DS-X.

And now it's mine. xD

12. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Ditto.
    I don't think I knew flash carts existed until I came to GBAtemp years ago.
    I only knew of roms, emulators, and PS1 modchips at the time.

13. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I got mine when it first came out, when it was still unheard of. I just saw it advertise on a couple online retailer sites, and I liked the name. I thought, what the hell, it may turn out to be a good cart. So I went ahead and bought one. Actually one for me and my girl. I actually bought it just for the drag and drop function. I was getting sick of running game through a patcher for my G6 Lite.

14. DSGRIM

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I jumped the gun, I ordered from modchipstore (horrible site, unreliable) even after paying for it to be there the next day it didnt get here till a few weeks later and I never got the 15$ back. Th r4 was cheap, had good specs and looked good so I bought it. I bought a Supercard adapter in the same way but from gameyeeeah and it was fast shipping and just an all around great site. (also comes in a package stamped with a shit load of chinese writing which can be made into a bad ass case for your DS)

15. SpectralSounds

Newcomer SpectralSounds Advanced Member

United States
    My friend who had a DS-X told me about the chips. Ive been into emulation since back before the original UltraHLE was around and wanted to play some old games on my DS. He told me to get an R4 instead even though homebrew compatibility was crap back then. I bought one and been very happy with it.

16. pkprostudio

Member pkprostudio No

United States
    I have a slot-2 SuperCard. Then my sister bought a DS and she can't use it, so I did a little research and came up with R4.

17. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    There was a slot-1 announcement orgy during the holidays (2006) and got my attention eventually. I didn't know which one was going to come out as a good card so I watched like a hawk. My patience was rewarded.

What will they think of next? Everlasting gobbstoppers. YES!

18. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My brother bought a DS Lite on release day and I loved it. I eventually ended up buying one and then decided to check if there was any way to play "backups" on it since pretty much every gaming system these days has some kind of way (thinks back to the Dreamcast days [​IMG] ). I searched google and ended up here. I read up on flash carts and what was currently out. Then the DS-X came out and I almost went for it but decided to wait a while longer. Then the love of my life (R4 DS) came along and I picked one up and have never been happier.

19. O.G

Newcomer O.G Advanced Member

Well, I remember the time that slot-1's were announced. People started to talk about the dslink, and ninjads being good carts. I just waited until Christmas 06, when most of the carts started to ship. The R4 caught my attention by the fact. That it wasn't hyped like the m3simply and scds one. It delivered in the reviews what the team promised, and bought one. Thank you, ShaunJ and Costello.

20. ismaboof

Newcomer ismaboof Advanced Member

Canada
    I was interested in flash carts back on GBA, but never got around to it. So when I got my DS i looked for something and when i realized i could play snes on it it was a no brainer. I'm getting r4 because its the most popular i saw at the time