How did you come up with your username?

Caofre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When i was like 9 years old,i got a dog,and his name is Fred.Here in Brazil,a known nickname for dogs(that are Cachorro in portuguese)are Cao,and when i was trying to make an account for Transformice,i tried Caofred,but that wasnt available,so i removed the D and i just stuck with it,sometimes i change to Caofrek,or maybe even Caofrel,but never Caofred.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I am curious however, is about the older usernames people had before their current name. I remember a bunch of people who changed it over the years and I wanna know why they decided to go with a new name (and sometimes, more than once).
In most cases it marks a change of identity, where the person feels they're different enough from their past self that the username no longer fits them as a person. (This would also cover situations where the original name was set by the person when they were much younger and they feel the need to update to a more "mature" one.)
For others though it may be related to the character that name represents or other such changes.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is from the TV show Captain N - The game master. I been using that name since i first when online in 1996 with a 14.4 modem. I still have that computer btw. Packard Bell windows 95 pentium 75 mhz. Still has napster installed lol. Computer still works. its more durable then some crap nowadays....

My avatar was captured from the first episode using my Ati all in wonder 8500 gpu/caputre card. that card had no input lag you can connect a console to it like a snes and play trough the monitor of the pc record the input and there was no input lag.

Last edited by Captain_N,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
In most cases it marks a change of identity, where the person feels they're different enough from their past self that the username no longer fits them as a person. (This would also cover situations where the original name was set by the person when they were much younger and they feel the need to update to a more "mature" one.)
For others though it may be related to the character that name represents or other such changes.
Personally I've had my user name for so long that I think it marks my identity as a who, so changing it would be really weird I think xD
"Wait who are you again? Your avatar is familiar..."
The most disturbing case is on Twitter where some people like to change their name once every 3 days lmao

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Partly because of this. Partly because for a while it was unclear what a "Kuwanger" was except that he reminded me a lot of a samurai; turns out that at least in some designs, that's precisely where it comes from: the kuwagata (Stag Bettle). That Boomer Kuwanger chose to go mavericks because of logical thinking* versus infection is sort of icing on the cake.

* Clearly without enough consideration on who would actually win/lose. However, the Reploid/Human relationship is akin to slavery, the proffered solution of the Mother Elf is absurd, and the proffered solution in ZX is even more absurd. So, that's what you get for trying to make something somewhat deep and then having to deus ex it. *shrug*

PS - It'd also be interesting to ask, how long have you had your current username. For me, it's ~22 years.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I've had my user name for so long that I think it marks my identity as a who, so changing it would be really weird I think xD
"Wait who are you again? Your avatar is familiar..."
That makes sense, though I feel in your case you could get away with anything vaguely related to "Vin" and people would still recognize you.
The most disturbing case is on Twitter where some people like to change their name once every 3 days lmao
Yeah I have no clue why people do that there, I've only changed my twitter display name a couple times and that was just tweaking the order of some things.

Last edited by Seriel,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
That makes sense, though I feel in your case you could get away with anything vaguely related to "Vin" and people would still recognize you.
Reminds me I go with Vin Vin ❤️ in some places :P

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
My real name + initial of my last name.

I was REALLY creative when I made it up when I was like 7.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When I created my first e-mail account:

Tony => Toe, Knee => Tooknie (as Toeknee was already taken).

I know someone named ToeKnee.

Yeah I have no clue why people do that there, I've only changed my twitter display name a couple times and that was just tweaking the order of some things.

I know how Seriel got her name:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited by Larsenv,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
My real name + initial of my last name.

I was REALLY creative when I made it up when I was like 7.

I know someone named ToeKnee.

I know how Seriel got her name:

unknown.png

unknown.png
That looks sick. Definitely some solid material for a cast of characters.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
That looks sick. Definitely some solid material for a cast of characters.

"bits" are a race of gnomes that live in the digital world. In fact, there's even a bit called "Larsenv" that's living right here on this site. Ever the adventurer, Larsenv will undoubtedly run into other bits with equally unique personalities, and they will work together to make this site even more entertaining.
LARSENV_BIT.PNG

Deleted member 383179

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
My name is just a description of me when I signed up for this site - just a noob.

I think without the emoticon the name was taken and I didn't want to add some arbitrary number, so an emoticon was my substitute.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
My name is Ryan, and I have no idea where 755 came from lol. Linux file system permissions maybe?
I would have expected 777 for the ultimate owning permissions XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Mother 3 in second place. I guess I'll play that.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anything hello kitty related then
    Could replay Metroid, though. Amazing screen on this thing.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Miyoo are basically repurposed blackberry displays believe it or not I always take my miyoo on the go
    @K3Nv2 You joke but this was amazing for 10 year old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6adnfSaew&ab_channel=IGN
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Install onionos also if you haven't already
    It still looks dope.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Amazingly I didn't really care for the GBA
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, dragon quest 4 bored me
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously