How did you come to enjoy classic gaming?

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
For me, I was searching the history of video games on Wikipedia, and I can across something wonderful called an emulator. Played SMB so many times, still can't get past 1-3

How about you? I was born way after the oldies era, so I couldn't play on the actual hardware,
frown.gif

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my first console at christmas 1988 a NES with the original ROB. Id had asked for a robot they tought it was more economical to buy ROB.
The year after that I got Final fantasy 1 which was just an awesome game I really wonder why it has not been remade.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was 1993, I was 2 and my father gifted me an "old" NES console with a shit ton of games.
I played with it for a long time and loved it as I had no idea that there was anything newer. It was only recently that it decided not to work anymore.

Toupee

Trophies
XP
Country
Had to post in this, at age 6 or 7, got a GBA with some hooky pirate carts with "FANTASTIC 1023 IN 1 GAME CARTRIDEGE GOOD SIR!" written on it. It had that GBA version of Super Mario World on it and 100's of old NES games (not that I realized they were NES games until many a-year later). I used to love playing the older games on the cart and ignored the GBA game on it. It was full of weird Mario Bros. rom hacks and I remember that there was a weird Sokoban game on it (it was in Russian, and seemed to take place in a military barracks, odd.). I started getting more of the hooky cartridges from family members living abroad and amassed a collection (okay, 4 of them
mellow.gif
) of the things. As a sidenote, a few of them had NES homebrew on them. One had a snake game called Nibbler or something and had contact info for the developer.

Anyhow, as I found out they were NES games, I looked on the internet for a way to play them on PC and did. Now I buy Retro Gamer magazine and like to play obscure games on MAME.

Edit: Oh, I recently started buying shit off eBay, that is all.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i came to enjoy the oldies by living throught the genesis/nintendo era now then is when sonic games were excellent(sonic 2 was my first game) i remember sitting on my sisters lap when i was young watchin her play then when i was old enough i played on my own with no help or guides or faqs. i still play new games without faqs or guides.

i use my psp when i wanna play some of the classics i grew up with by emulator

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much from the time i was born in 93 I played NES at my grandfathers house (He's 85 and is still better than me at SMB3) then me and my bro got a SNES for christmas when i was like 3, I keep that shit hooked up all the time, imo it's the greatest console of all time.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
I got my first console at christmas 1988 a NES with the original ROB. Id had asked for a robot they tought it was more economical to buy ROB.
The year after that I got Final fantasy 1 which was just an awesome game I really wonder why it has not been remade.

The first final fantasy was pretty sweet.
smile.gif
I played it over and over on the original NES. Oh and it was re-made. There's a version on GBA.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still enjoy all of my old games! My snes with mario allstars, my n64(10 years old and in mint condition) Zelda Oacarine Of Time OMG! I luve, can´t wait for 3ds!

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My first console was a PSX, and I eventually got tired of it because I only owned a couple games. I played my GBC a lot, then upgraded to a GBA. I used to only play like Pokemon on the GBA, lol. I wanted to try some hacks, so I downloaded VBA to play them. (This is not only how I started playing classic games, but how I started pirating everything) I eventually tried other kinds of games, when I realized I could play any GBA game. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power when i was younger and there was a big article on FFIV Advance, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I fell in love with it, and realized there were a lot more games like it for the SNES. And that is how I discovered the SNES is among the best consoles ever.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toguro_max said:
For me, i was brn on 1981, so i got plenty of time to play on the actual hardware.
I still remeber spending days trying to finish Megaman 3 and Ninja Gaiden 3.
But my first console was a Mega Drive (Genesis for US).

Same sort of thing here but 83 and I was more a Micro than a console person. Elite on the BBC was just mind blowing. I guess I was lucky having parents who liked computers so had them around me and available to play with. A lot of people I know of the same age group never had consoles until the PlayStation or computers until the late 90s.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sister was born in 83 so when i was born in 90 we already had a NES an Master System also my Mom had a old Atari.
i remember when i was 3 we got a SNES for Christmas, and a old DMG game boy, so yeah i grew up in the wrong Era for most the games i had, but they are no less amazing and most games today just don't compare.

Reactions: 1 person

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my neighbor used to babysit me when my mom was out and i used to play their atari constantly. this was probably back in 86 or early 87. That was my first exposure to any gaming console.
I still remember going to the local electronic store, it was Crazy Eddie's, back in early 87 with my dad and playing duckhunt on their demo system. I was in awe. i made him take me back every sunday so i could play it. later that year, I was 5 years old and it was xmas 1987 when i unwrapped my first console. The NES. I played super mario bros for 8 hrs straight that day. My mother was afraid that that house was going to catch on fire because the console had gotten so hot. The rest is history and i've owned every nintendo system since aside from the ds and gba. I actually still have that same nes console to this day and the original box it came in. It's the pride and joy of my gaming collection.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was born in '84, so I grew up with "classic" games as they were released (SMB3 was like $80 back then). Good times, very good times.

MrWily

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was born in 85 and we had a NES ever since I can remember. Those days are a bit foggy, but my cousins that lived next door had a master system and a commodore 64 and a bit later we bought a Amiga 500. And after that, consuming games have been quite natural to me.

I would say the most influential games back then was a side-scrolled space shooter called "Life Force" on the NES, a very unforgiving game.
glare.gif
And "Walker" on the Amiga, another side-scrolled shooter, though in a different time but it taught me aiming with a mouse and I haven't looked back... Until now.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Constantly on web forums complaining about how wronged they have been, instead of taking action...