How dangerous is cIOSCorp?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davidsl_128, Oct 2, 2009.

Oct 2, 2009
  1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Because the HackMii guys and many other people say that CIOSCorp is too risky, I've refrained to use it for a while. But I recently got Rock Band 2 and for some reason the DLC stacks up in my nand even if SD mode is enabled.

I read that by loading Rock Band through the Disc Channel, this isn't a problem... but my Wii has a tendency to damage discs (I had to buy Zelda TP two times because a part of the game before the Mirror Chamber was damaged), so even for the games I legally own I use backups. For this reason, I have to install CIOSCorp to play RB2 through the disc channel.

So my question is, is cIOSCorp really as dangerous as people say? Also, I read that cIOSCorp was not compatible with the HackMii installer. But if I already had BootMii before, I can still do NAND backups and restores, right?

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    cIOScorp rewrites over almost every IOS in your Wii's system to allow them to play backups from the disc channel.

its like having cIOS 249 installed into every IOS individually.

Its a risky installation obviously.

It depends on whether you care about the condition of your IOS's

but know cIOScorp comes with an uninstaller to you can always revert back your IOS's

3. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    IF you already have bootmii as boot 2 then it is not so risky, I mean I have installed and updated Cioscorp on my wii many times, just not to 3.4 yet everything I have plays fine with it. And I do not know about restoring Nand , because I have never done it, but you can still back up your nand with it installed

4. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ok then I'll give it a shot, thanks. It'd be nice if someone could confirm that NAND restoring works, though. My Wii is already crappy as it is, I don't want to mess it up more irreversably (that's a real word right? [​IMG])

5. infinete

Member infinete The Temp's cynic.

United Kingdom
    So long as bootmii is installed as boot 2 (i.e you can access it by merely turning your wii on with the sd card in) then yes, a nand back can be used to restore it. Just remember to make a nand backup first. As for risky, everyone says it is risky, but I personally have never had a problem with it. I think that with a little common sense, not much can really go wrong. Just make sure you wii is not turned off during the 3 or so minuet installation and do not try to delete the iso's or do a nintendo update to remove them.

6. xzxero

United States
    yea if you have a nand backup you can restore your wii.

the thing that doesnt work is the hackmii installer, the program that install bootmii and HBC

7. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Ah... ok. I have other question, though... I read that Rock Band only needs IOS37 and IOS60 to play, so if I install cIOSCorp, and then use Dop-IOS to overwrite all the IOS except for IOS37 and IOS60, there's no problem with that, right? Can it be done?

8. xzxero

United States
    yes but its easier if you just install cIOS37-v3612-v3.4.wad and cIOS60-v6174-v3.4.wad from the corpv3.4 folder you get when you dl cioscorp.

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If the game does not work from usb or disc with only a cIOS instaled, ok. But why the whole cioscorp directly? Install the one cIOS from cioscorp you need for this game(cIOS37?), select that in SoftChip and you can play with 0%* brick chance.

*I'm not counting system menus that are patched to use really unusual IOS

New Wii + old cioscorp = brick, so remove the "always"

10. uimy

Newcomer uimy Advanced Member

United States
    Before trying I recommend you have a working nand backup + bootmii on boot2 and preloader with the homebrew channel working. I've only tested this on system menu 4.1. I've found the best way of removing cIOScorp with little brick chance is to run DOP-IOS on all the files It'll let you update, make sure you do all the patches on IOS36, IOS53, IOS55, IOS60 don't patch any other files then those listed and you should be rid of cIOScorp, make sure to reinstall preloader afterwards to get rid of the system files are corrupted message.

11. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    And here I patched all the IOS XD I'll fix that later. Thanks!

12. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Are you having a problem with the DLC being stored on the wii and not being properly deletable/movable to SD? This is the problem I'm having with gh5, although I'm using usb loader gx. So for the time being, I have enough space to download maybe 3 songs at a time. I'd choose SD, and I'd get two copies, one on the wii, and one on sd. Then, goto the wii's data management and delete the dlc from the wii. Then it will only remain on the sd.

13. xzxero

United States
    if you email cioscorp@thewebpost.net,
    it gives you the link for the official cIOScorp 3.4, an uninstaller for LU64+ Wii's, and an uninstaller for older Wii's.

So it's still safe to say always right?

14. uimy

United States
    Is there anything the cIOScorp uninstaller does different then using DOP-IOS?

15. xzxero

United States
    its offline a more efficient in reversing the effect as it comes from the person who made cioscorp 3.4

16. nknave

Member nknave GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    cIOSCorp 3.x and Higher is not Dangerous.

What makes it dangerous is the level of knowledge and comprehension of the software from the end user.

I'm not going to get into the fight to defend it.

There's many ways to load backups.

From safest to "dangerous" as some call it:

BackupLoaders like NeoGamma work like a Charm (of course, external app, takes about 10 seconds longer to boot your game)

Most clean:
    PreLoader configured to use IOS249 and forcing games to reboot to IOS249 (newer games will freeze due to the IOS reload or dump you an Error 002)

Installing only IOS60 (to load from disc channel and view banners from games) from the cIOSCorp Package and patching Your ISOs to use IOS249 (Requires ISO Patching in computer and newer games will freeze due to the IOS reload or dump you an Error 002)

Installing full cIOSCorp Package and load from disc channel with banners and all, 99% of the games working perfectly fine. (Downside is that your whole OS is messed with and other apps, specially from Team Wiizzers will refuse to work due to anti-piracy policy they work with).

It's your choice, let us make our own!!!

17. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Well I'm ok with using a Backup Loader, so I'll only install the cIOSCorp wads I need for Rock Band (37 and 60). Thanks for the help [​IMG]

18. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    DoP-IOS does nothing but trucha patch the IOSs. This does NOT allow you to play backups from the disc channel. cIOSCORP is *MOST* of the IOS files that are not only trucha patched, but the DIP module used in IOS249 (cIOS) is added to all of them. Another thing is that all IOS files in cIOSCORP have the version numbers maxed out so Nintendo doesn't bother you to update. The side effect is that later on you may need to use DoP-IOS to install a regular (fresh or trucha patched only) IOS on top of it to update.

19. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Games always use only 1 IOS. IOS60 is used by the system menu, if you mess with that, there's a brick chance. Ok, if you use the right tools, it's very low, but there is one. If you only install cIOS37 and use it in SoftChip, there's no brick chance and the game will work.

20. uimy

United States
    Will you have to use the - button in DOP-IOS to downgrade the IOS's since the version number is maxed?