how dangerous in softmod?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lafleche, Jul 7, 2010.

Jul 7, 2010

how dangerous in softmod? by lafleche at 10:36 PM (923 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. lafleche
    OP

Member lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Perhaps a bit of a worry after it's been done but I recently softmodded my WII 4.2e (using the sticky topic)

Everything works great, homebrew, usb loading ..
    However reading this forum I read that people having black screens, corrupted system files, non-syncing remotes and often it seems related to softmodding.

I know it's difficult to point a finger to softmodding but on a scale from 1 to 10.... what are the chances of a good working softmodded system suddenly crashing big time (like full brick) ? Should I worry :-)

2. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    suddenly? and without provocation? extremely low.

suddenly, and with the user deleting things they didnt understand, installing things they think they understand, and without the foresight to make a nand backup before? pretty freakin' high.

sterkte, lafleche, sterkte.

3. egurgle

Member egurgle GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    if u didnt do wrong choices with IOS, installed correct IOS before System Menu update and, and dont POWER OFF while updating some vital IOS, then ur risk is too low (1 - 2). But mistakes can happen and increase ur chances [​IMG]
    But, if you are lucky to have bootmii as boot2.... u lucky ^^

4. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    The only reason a wii fully bricks is cause the idiot didn't fully read what he was doing

Follow the instructions to the letter and you will never have a problem.

5. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    Or at least make it much less likely. Never is a strong word that we cannot gaurentee.

Even official updates have a chance of bricking.

6. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    the op sounds like the people ive softmodded, every little thing that goes wrong has something to do with what i did, not the fact that the kids plugged the usb in the wrong slot, or the wiimote batteries were dead, but its the softmods fault. maybe you should just box it back up n return it to walmart

7. lafleche
    OP

Member lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I don't box-up anything :-) The WII is way to old for that (=first gen with also wiikey1).
    I just won't install nor de-install any new softmod/wads/patches on my wii anymore which should reduce any chance of a brick... if it works, don't repair.

and I still have bootmii + recent nand-copy ready... just in case.

8. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I say if it's not broke, don't fix it. If everything is in good working order, leave it alone! [​IMG] but if you must update things, do so AFTER reading tutorials, and other users success and failure rates [​IMG]