How Crazy are Japanese schools for real?

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are Japanese schools really so much time-consuming and hard as they say? Like you go in early in the morning and are there till later afternoon, then you go immediately to cram school afterwards and when you come home you study till like 10 PM? With almost no time for free time/fun, except what you have during club activities?

And you go to school on Saturdays in many schools?

TheNewbPleaser

Trophies
XP
Country
alidsl said:
According to all the stuff I've seen all japanese schools are full of horny lesbians who have sex all the time.

then shall we all move to japan RIGHT now? horny lesbians? dayum..
smile.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fel said:
Are Japanese schools really so much time-consuming and hard as they say? Like you go in early in the morning and are there till later afternoon, then you go immediately to cram school afterwards and when you come home you study till like 10 PM? With almost no time for free time/fun, except what you have during club activities?

And you go to school on Saturdays in many schools?

On the upside, it's just a few short years, and you end up several time smarter than the average American.

Posts merged

On the downside, I don't think I recall the Japanese getting a lot of mileage out of being smarter.

AP Hacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, they are as hard as people seem. A good friend of mine used to live in Japan until the age of 8, and he already knew his 36x36 times tables. He told me his school hours were from 6:30-5:30, and his parents (this could be different depending on parents, or maybe all parents there are like this) made him study until 10 every night. Weekends, he studied for 10 hours each day.

Although, being the age of 8 and knowing your 36x36 timetables is pretty impressive.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I taught in japanese public schools for two years in the early 90's with the JET program. Although it's still school and there's plenty of horsing around, yeah it's pretty much true. Japanese schools require the students to clean the school too, including the toilets. And a large percentage of the kids do go on to a juku (cram school) after regular school, although it's rather expensive and their economy isn't what it used to be so there's probably less of that going on these days, compared to 20 years ago. Not a lot less, just less.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, here's my experience with Japan. I went to school there when I was in 9th grade. You would normally get up and be at school around 8:00 in the morning. The day would go by like most school's up until about 4:00. From grades below grade 9, the hours between 4-6 were spent doing physical activity at school; either basketball, soccer/football or tennis.

If you were in 9th grade, you would do personal study from 4:00 to 6:00. After that, most students would go to another centre which is essentially just a place where people do their own personal study. Kind of like a library but not really. They would do this from 6:00 to 10:00. The reason 9th graders are already doing such rigorous study is because at the end of 9th grade they already have their big exams.

On Saturday's, students would come into school regular time, about 8:00 again. They would usually just get a half day of school, so they would finish at 12:00 midday. From there, they go the study centre again where they would stay typically until 10:00 again. Sunday was their only true free day.

TL;DR version. Yes, it's that fucking bad.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lolzed said:
fgghjjkll said:
The same are with Chinese schools. The school start ridiculously early and end ridiculously late.
I agree fgg
dry.gif

I got to school at 6:30 AM and end at 4:30 PM.Asian schools FTW
tongue.gif
For an Asian country, that's not bad. Well, it's bad, but comparatively if you know what I mean. Though I have been to school in Hong Kong too and the hours were pretty similar there. I will admit, it was brutal. That is, until I went to Japan. Jesus Christ.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nutella5600 said:
lolzed said:
fgghjjkll said:
The same are with Chinese schools. The school start ridiculously early and end ridiculously late.
I agree fgg
dry.gif

I got to school at 6:30 AM and end at 4:30 PM.Asian schools FTW
tongue.gif

For an Asian country, that's not bad. Well, it's bad, but comparatively if you know what I mean. Though I have been to school in Hong Kong too and the hours were pretty similar there. I will admit, it was brutal. That is, until I went to Japan. Jesus Christ.
I know it's not THAT bad,but sometimes I get too tired,too long hours -_-
don't forget...

QUOTE(Chaosruler @ Oct 18 2010, 06:32 PM)
Remember that Pichu is just 1 year old according to his profile
biggrin.gif
Exactly!Babies should spend their time in bed,not in internet forums and places where you study(something called school!
ohmy.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: