how common are disk read errors?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by modshroom128, Mar 3, 2007.

1. modshroom128
    OP

modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 24, 2006
    United States
    how common are disk read errors?

will i encounter one if im playing for +2 hours on a wiikey???

2. jaxxster

jaxxster The Heretic

Oct 31, 2006
    South East London
    if you're playing on a wiikey, you dont need to worry. DRE's dont exsist on a wiikey

3. nloding

nloding GBAtemp Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    United States
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Except with terrible media.

4. jaxxster

jaxxster The Heretic

Oct 31, 2006
    South East London
    ^ Good point. Just buy some verbatim-r they're good media and cheap too. You can pick up 50 for £14.50 including P+P

5. skagamer

skagamer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2007
    United States
    I use Verbatim DVD-Rs and got DREs when I tried to burn at a low speed (2x). Now I burn at 4x and get zero DREs.

I am using a Wiinja v2.

6. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    One thing to keep in mind is the discs optimum burning profile isnt usually designed with the slowest burning speed in mind, which could increase PI/PO errors, which is probably one cause of DRE's (without scanning media that causes DRE's I couldnt be certain, but its plausible).

7. 3DPiper

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    If by DREs you mean the media just doesn't work, I get them even with store-bought Gamecube games.. Once I clean the discs, though, they work fine..

Can't wait to play backups since my kids never grasped the "don't scratch/fingerprint this shiny surface" concept..

-Matthew

8. student69

student69 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    Canada
    Its all dependent on the media, I have cyclowiz and when I first got it I was getting all kinds of read errors. This was because I was using Ritek dvd-r discs. I went out and got some high quality discs and they went away completely. I now have 16 burnt games and absolutely zero read errors. I am using Maxell HighGrade DVD-R discs. I didn't expect them to work, as I am not a fan of maxell but they work perfectly for me.

Other mod chips out atm have even better reading then the cyclowiz (pre-update) so I would assume good media on them works just as well. Which means zero DRE's

9. JonoX

JonoX Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2007
    Canada
    I installed a Wiinja V1 yesterday, and have received 0 DREs. Played Monkey Ball, Sonic, Trauma Center, Elebits, Wing Island, Wario Ware and Wii Play. Burned at 8-16x on Memorex (RitekF1) DVD-R using Disk Utility on OS X.

10. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    I'd like to highly reccomend Taiyo Yuden DVD media, very good quality. A little pricy compared to other brands, but they are really unmatched. I really like the white printable DVD+Rs :-)

11. modshroom128
    OP

modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 24, 2006
    United States
    what about Taiyo Yuden brand dvd-r?

i heard that they are proffesional quality like verbatims

12. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    All Taiyo Yuden media is high quality, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD+DL, CD-R, in printable and non-printable varieties.

Occasionally I'd imagine you'd get a bad burn or bad batch, but I havent had a bad burn since switching to TY (i used to use whatever was cheapest).