how come wiifree is not popular here?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by platylover, Mar 13, 2007.

Mar 13, 2007
  1. platylover
    OP

Newcomer platylover Newbie

United States
    It seems like wiifree is not a popular solution on this message board. I'm wondering why this is? I chose it after considering the chiip due to the following reasons:

1) easy PIC-based solution, no need to build a board
    2) easy to find JDM programmers on ebay
    3) upgrade-able, super easy with a socket
    4) opensource
    5) only 5 solder points to install, same as wiinja (LED option available)

I just installed the mod this past week and it's working great with both Wii and GC backups. The feature set is great and the updates come quickly, there were actually 2 updates last week. The current version is v1.51 and has the following features.

Changelog:
    1.50 - 1.51: Updated the code, added comments. Better detection of backup disc insert. Cleaner drive detection and alternate LED blink when error.
    1.23 - 1.50: GC backups support!!! Updated the patching code, removed the wait_disc routine AND ..... Disco!!!
    1.22 - 1.23: Updated the code, functionality is the same.

This code is based on the famous WABCheap mod!!
    This is what is does:
    - Run gamecube originals
    - Run gamecube backups
    - Run Wii originals
    - Run Wii backups
    - Support for DMS, D2A and D2B!!
    - Support for 12F629, 12F675 and 12F683 chips (the installation for the 12F683 is the same as the 12F629)

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think it's 'cause everyone is discussing it on the "official" support board at WiiNewz... Many people that post here post there for Wii specific stuff too.

No need to spread the WiiFree info over both boards.

This board is more Chiip focused in terms of the free chips.

3. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Chiip was available first, and had more features, more quickly.

1-2) Why buy a JDM programmer, when you can build a Chiip AVR programmer for under $1? Plus, Chiip code will port to PIC soon.
    3) Also super-easy upgrade, socket
    4) Source soon to be available.
    5) Also five solder points

I've used both. I have a fancy Willem programmer which I used to program a WiiFree, and I *still* prefer the Chiip [​IMG]

4. Hooya

United States
    I built a JDM programmer for about $4... The D9 Sub connector was the most expensive part of a total of 6 parts (not including wire).

Since the Chiip code will port to PIC, I'll be able to use that with that programmer as well.

5. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    When Wiifree supports on-the-fly region patching, I will begin using it as it will become very cheap for me to mod other people's systems. [​IMG]

6. No Name Trowa Barton

Member No Name Trowa Barton Namaiki iun-ja naiyoâ„¢

United States
    this forum has more people from europ on it. the Chiip guide not only links to a german chip site but i have had a insane time finding the chips where i live. on the other side i did get a order of the WiiFree chips on its way. before i use that solution i will probly mod in the cable to do the WAB loader probly first but who knows lol.

7. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you can get 3 chips fo' free from this site http://sample.microchip.com/Default.aspx?testCookies=true

PIC12F629-I/P

is the model chip you want;

you need a non-free email address i used my university email, i got a shipped conformation at 6.

3 PICs for free. Even shipping is free. To anywhere in the world from what i read, Europe, even Canada. You can get the hex and diagrams @ wiinewz: http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/wiifree/53...ase-1-01-a.html

got all this info from xboxbman on the xbox-scene forums btw, so credit goes to him.

8. Hooya

United States
    You get your free chips fast too. They ship via FedEx from Thailand. I got mine in just a few days.

9. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    The mod is still useless without region patching though...but its looking EXTREMELY promising.

10. Hooya

United States
    It's coming very soon I have a feeling. Especially now that the source is out in the open someone will put it in by the end of the month.

11. Fatal

Newcomer Fatal Advanced Member

United States
    Is the sample site down for anybody else? Also, your second link is broken.

12. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think you'll like the new version we'll be releasing soon. [​IMG]

13. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    I think you'll like the new version we'll be releasing soon. [​IMG]

[/quote]

Damn it. Why you guys gotta work so hard? Haha. I'm just mad cause only my friend has a programmer, and I just got it all programmed and installed today. He lives so far too...

I shouldn't say I'm mad, because you guys have done a great job so far. I'm loving everything about wiifree right now. Only thing I could really want more is on-the-fly region patching (not so important for me) and update via dvd (cd please? is that possible?). Keep up the good work.

Oh and about the CD thing, I don't know if this says anything, but I tried to burn Animal Crossing to a CD just to see if it would boot, and it wouldn't. Is it because the DVD drive can't read CD's? Or is it something in the firmware that could possibly make it read CD-Rs? That would really rock for homebrew and updating chips. Just wondering.