Homebrew How come psp can emulate gba games at full speed, but 3ds can't?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to play golden sun. But it runs like molasses on mgba. But works great on tempgba4psp. Isn't the 3ds more powerful than the psp?

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to play golden sun. But it runs like molasses on mgba. But works great on tempgba4psp. Isn't the 3ds more powerful than the psp?
PSP has a better processor.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The PSP's processor is better, because its meant to run console games. The o3ds's processor just straight up sucks.

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

The PSP's processor is better, because its meant to run console games. The o3ds's processor just straight up sucks.
Under no circumstance this is true. The PSP is running a single core, 333MHz MIPS CPU, while the o3DS is running a dual core, 268MHz ARM11 processor. Even with a lower clockspeed, the architecture alone is above the PSP in raw power.

Last edited by Rosselman,

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This thread again...
The hacking scene in the PSP environment has been around since the console's release, so it should answer your question about the emulator's full speed.
As mentioned above, the PSP has a faster processor compared to the 3DS, but that doesn't make a point, because if we could make an example about emulation, the PS2 (which is stronger than the PSP) has a SNES emulator that struggles running some games with the audio enabled.

The 3DS has built-in GBA hardware (or emulator, whatever it is) much like the PSP does with PSx games. Just follow a guide to install the AGB firm thing and you'll be fine, otherwise get a DSTwo or one of those flashcards that boot GBA ROMs as well

D

Deleted User

You go on and keep thinking that, pal. The PSP has a faster processor, but that doesn't matter at all when the 3DS's processor is an immensely better architecture. Hell, if you want to go even further on the same topic, the New 3DS is even MORE powerfull and the GBA Emulation still isnt perfect.

They just need more work put into them, and if you have the option, you might as well be using AGB_FIRM which is 100% perfect

Last edited by ,

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
otherwise get a DSTwo or one of those flashcards that boot GBA ROMs as well

Actually the DSTWO runs a GBA Emulator (gpSP clone) on its internal processor. gpSP was a 'new' GBA emulator built from the ground up specifically for the PSP.

I agree it's probably easiest to install GBA games to SysNAND then run them via a patched AGB_FIRM (I used the "classic" one that has the Gameboy Advance bootscreen enabled); since I use GW via 4.x MSET I use an old Pasta CFW that uses the exact same DS Profile so I only need to swap SD cards when I want to play a GBA game.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Put your fanboy facts aside and do some actual research. The PSP only runs a single-core 333 MIPS CPU with 32(64)MB of RAM, compared to the 3DS running ARM11 2x MPCore & 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor 268MHz (128 MB FCRAM.) Which may seem weaker, but is still a dual-core CPU and a better architecture.
The reason we can't have full speed emulation yet is because of software limitation, not hardware. *hax only runs in usermode, which means it only has as much power as usermode is allowed. We also have full understanding, kernel access, and full hardware control over the PSP, compared to the limited control we have over the 3DS. Once the 3DS gets to the same level as the PSP, you will more than likely see better emulation popup on it.
Not to mention the New 3ds which is way more powerful, running at 4x MPCore, 4x VFPv2 , running up to 804MHz (256 MB, 64MB dedicated to the OS, 10 MB VRAM.) Yet GBA emulation is still poor on that as well because of the limited access in usermode.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What about converting it to a CIA? It runs fullspeed then....
That's because it's running in native hardware support compare to userland emulation. Once *hax has full hardware support, things will be different.

Reactions: DarkFlare69

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its called "optimization" my friend. The PSP modding community has been around for quite a while so they had more than enough time to optimize and program it properly. The 3DS didnt start that long ago and since no one really own Cubic Ninja, not that much people could've had access to homebrew. The fact that we can downgrade and run homebrew directly with Menuhax is a huge leap if you ask me.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS is basically a generational improvement beyond the ARM chip(s) that were in the DS(i), which were a generational improvement from the GBA itself.

The PSP has more of a general purpose capable CPU, that is both more flexible but also can be dialed up and down dynamically within the app/game compiler as needed. One example you could see with this is with KH: BBB where you could choose what speed to operate the PSP on.

The other thing is simply, the PSP was hacked early, completely, and has had plenty of time to have some good SDK's done for it, complete with the Media Engine accelerators from the official stuff done open source to leverage code that would allow its chip to process things quickly.

At present, 3DS homebrew is in its infancy, is still dependent on what level firmware you could run, and we still don't know anywhere near completely what its chips could do, or if they could even be linked together for better performance, IIRC.

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA emulation on 3DS is pretty much 100% perfect, 60fps no frameskip. Just install an inject.
I'm sure that this only applies to people with CFW. The injects are already running on GBA bios on the 3DS optimized by Nintendo themselves. The gpSP emulator isn't as stable as it and needs to be optimized on the 3DS' hardware.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure that this only applies to people with CFW. The injects are already running on GBA bios on the 3DS optimized by Nintendo themselves. The gpSP emulator isn't as stable as it and needs to be optimized on the 3DS' hardware.
Well lucky me, then. :P

No but really, why would you want to play GBA on a 3DS anyway, the circle pad sucks for GBA games and D-pad is too low lol

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well lucky me, then. :P

No but really, why would you want to play GBA on a 3DS anyway, the circle pad sucks for GBA games and D-pad is too low lol
I personally don't like the D-pad on the original 3DS consoles but the D-pad on the New 3DS XL feels really nice. It feels so much better imho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr