How come psp can emulate gba games at full speed, but 3ds can't?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Bryon15, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I wanted to play golden sun. But it runs like molasses on mgba. But works great on tempgba4psp. Isn't the 3ds more powerful than the psp?

2. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    I have the same thought...

3. Pikm

Pikm Thy Lord and Savior

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Delaware
    PSP has a better processor.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The PSP's processor is better, because its meant to run console games. The o3ds's processor just straight up sucks.

4. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    Ohhh! Right forgot about that...

5. Rosselman

Rosselman Spooky Skeleton

Oct 29, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Santiago
    Under no circumstance this is true. The PSP is running a single core, 333MHz MIPS CPU, while the o3DS is running a dual core, 268MHz ARM11 processor. Even with a lower clockspeed, the architecture alone is above the PSP in raw power.

Last edited by Rosselman, Mar 2, 2016
  6. Darkyose
    This message by Darkyose has been removed from public view by Veho, Mar 2, 2016.
    Mar 2, 2016
  7. Yayo1990

Yayo1990 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Italy
    This thread again...
    The hacking scene in the PSP environment has been around since the console's release, so it should answer your question about the emulator's full speed.
    As mentioned above, the PSP has a faster processor compared to the 3DS, but that doesn't make a point, because if we could make an example about emulation, the PS2 (which is stronger than the PSP) has a SNES emulator that struggles running some games with the audio enabled.

The 3DS has built-in GBA hardware (or emulator, whatever it is) much like the PSP does with PSx games. Just follow a guide to install the AGB firm thing and you'll be fine, otherwise get a DSTwo or one of those flashcards that boot GBA ROMs as well

8. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    You go on and keep thinking that, pal. The PSP has a faster processor, but that doesn't matter at all when the 3DS's processor is an immensely better architecture. Hell, if you want to go even further on the same topic, the New 3DS is even MORE powerfull and the GBA Emulation still isnt perfect.

They just need more work put into them, and if you have the option, you might as well be using AGB_FIRM which is 100% perfect

Last edited by Robfozz, Mar 2, 2016
  9. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Actually the DSTWO runs a GBA Emulator (gpSP clone) on its internal processor. gpSP was a 'new' GBA emulator built from the ground up specifically for the PSP.

I agree it's probably easiest to install GBA games to SysNAND then run them via a patched AGB_FIRM (I used the "classic" one that has the Gameboy Advance bootscreen enabled); since I use GW via 4.x MSET I use an old Pasta CFW that uses the exact same DS Profile so I only need to swap SD cards when I want to play a GBA game.

10. Alan Treecko

Alan Treecko GBATemp's official fanfiction disposer

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    I think the reason why GBA emulation is better on the PSP because the hardware is understandable. The 3DS *hax scene isn't even like 3 years old yet.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Put your fanboy facts aside and do some actual research. The PSP only runs a single-core 333 MIPS CPU with 32(64)MB of RAM, compared to the 3DS running ARM11 2x MPCore & 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor 268MHz (128 MB FCRAM.) Which may seem weaker, but is still a dual-core CPU and a better architecture.
    The reason we can't have full speed emulation yet is because of software limitation, not hardware. *hax only runs in usermode, which means it only has as much power as usermode is allowed. We also have full understanding, kernel access, and full hardware control over the PSP, compared to the limited control we have over the 3DS. Once the 3DS gets to the same level as the PSP, you will more than likely see better emulation popup on it.
    Not to mention the New 3ds which is way more powerful, running at 4x MPCore, 4x VFPv2 , running up to 804MHz (256 MB, 64MB dedicated to the OS, 10 MB VRAM.) Yet GBA emulation is still poor on that as well because of the limited access in usermode.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Mar 2, 2016
    Igu, zfreeman, Noelemahc and 5 others like this.
  12. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    What about converting it to a CIA? It runs fullspeed then....

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That's because it's running in native hardware support compare to userland emulation. Once *hax has full hardware support, things will be different.

DarkFlare69 likes this.
  14. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    Whoops, didn't read OP's question right.

15. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Its called "optimization" my friend. The PSP modding community has been around for quite a while so they had more than enough time to optimize and program it properly. The 3DS didnt start that long ago and since no one really own Cubic Ninja, not that much people could've had access to homebrew. The fact that we can downgrade and run homebrew directly with Menuhax is a huge leap if you ask me.

TheKawaiiDesu and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  16. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    GBA emulation on 3DS is pretty much 100% perfect, 60fps no frameskip. Just install an inject.

17. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    3DS is basically a generational improvement beyond the ARM chip(s) that were in the DS(i), which were a generational improvement from the GBA itself.

The PSP has more of a general purpose capable CPU, that is both more flexible but also can be dialed up and down dynamically within the app/game compiler as needed. One example you could see with this is with KH: BBB where you could choose what speed to operate the PSP on.

The other thing is simply, the PSP was hacked early, completely, and has had plenty of time to have some good SDK's done for it, complete with the Media Engine accelerators from the official stuff done open source to leverage code that would allow its chip to process things quickly.

At present, 3DS homebrew is in its infancy, is still dependent on what level firmware you could run, and we still don't know anywhere near completely what its chips could do, or if they could even be linked together for better performance, IIRC.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  18. VictorMoreno015

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I'm sure that this only applies to people with CFW. The injects are already running on GBA bios on the 3DS optimized by Nintendo themselves. The gpSP emulator isn't as stable as it and needs to be optimized on the 3DS' hardware.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  19. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Well lucky me, then. :P

No but really, why would you want to play GBA on a 3DS anyway, the circle pad sucks for GBA games and D-pad is too low lol

20. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    That's not emulation, that's running on arm7 which is native hardware

21. VictorMoreno015

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I personally don't like the D-pad on the original 3DS consoles but the D-pad on the New 3DS XL feels really nice. It feels so much better imho.