how come a lot of gamers in the us dont like rpgs

D

Deleted-247497

alot of the people who don't like rpgs are the people who can't do anything but play call of duty and sports games.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Most RPGs are good, but for me it's because I grew up on them. I guess I was pretty much burned out.

That and many RPGs tell the exact same story, or have the exact same setting. I'm probably going to get nerd rage for saying this, but the most generic example I can think of is World of Warcraft.

WoW is your basic fantasy RPG; choose a class, race, etc, complete quests, level up, build skills, and fight evil/good, depending on what side you chose. It also has evil forces that literally come out of nowhere that you HAVE to fight, or said forces will destroy the world, like in almost every RPG or JRPG to date. eg, Lich King and now the dragon from Cataclysm.

As for how WoW has gotten so popular, I have no clue...

No trolling/nerd rage intended, it's just how I see it.
unsure.gif

PS - I actually hate CoD and most other shooters. I like to sit down and think things through, kind of make my own story. I hate running around a corner, only to have my face blown off by somebody running and gunning without using any strategy -.-

Thus why I love games that let you create, like Minecraft, or complicated strategy games that make you think long and hard, like Homeworld (HIGHLY recommend you google Homeworld 1 or 2! Wicked old, but still my favorite strategy series to date! ^.^). The only MMORPG I can say I like is Pirates of the Burning Sea, whose naval combat is rather slow and involves a lot of strategy.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Most RPGs are good, but for me it's because I grew up on them. I guess I was pretty much burned out.

That and many RPGs tell the exact same story, or have the exact same setting. I'm probably going to get nerd rage for saying this, but the most generic example I can think of is World of Warcraft.

WoW is your basic fantasy RPG; choose a class, race, etc, complete quests, level up, build skills, and fight evil/good, depending on what side you chose. It also has evil forces that literally come out of nowhere that you HAVE to fight, or said forces will destroy the world, like in almost every RPG or JRPG to date. eg, Lich King and now the dragon from Cataclysm.

unsure.gif

you can say that stuff with just about any genre

FPS for example, all you do is shoot stuff, get new weapons and repeat that cycle..FPS has the exact same story (war) and the exact same settings.

I think americans lack the patience to grind for levels, or go through a hour of tutorial, it's all about mindless button smashing and pretty graphics in america

D

Deleted-247497

RoMee said:
chrisman01 said:

unsure.gif

FPS for example, all you do is shoot stuff, get new weapons and repeat that cycle..FPS has the exact same story (war) and the exact same settings.

I think americans lack the patience to grind for levels, or go through a hour of tutorial, it's just mindless button smashing

i disagree with this, i have played many rpgs that dont require any tutorial or grinding, fallout 3/new vegas, mass effect 2, lots of others but im too tired to think of them, just because someone isn't into hardcore japanese final fantasy type shit doesn't mean they can't enjoy an rpg.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
snico1995 said:
i disagree with this, i have played many rpgs that dont require any tutorial or grinding, fallout 3/new vegas, mass effect 2, lots of others but im too tired to think of them, just because someone isn't into hardcore japanese final fantasy type shit doesn't mean they can't enjoy an rpg.

those are just shooters with RPG elements..american's RPG are more shooters than RPG

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
snico1995 said:

those are just shooters with RPG elements..american's RPG are more shooters than RPG
I see you're not familiar with the concept of an "action RPG."

The entire genre isn't just comprised of turn-based combat systems.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
I see you're not familiar with the concept of an "action RPG."

The entire genre isn't just comprised of turn-based combat systems.

when did I say only turn-based RPG is the only RPG?
there's plenty of other RPG, like jade empire, or knights of the old republic

games like mass effect or fallout is heavy on the shooter part and light on the RPG part

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
chrisman01 said:
PS - I actually hate CoD and most other shooters.
>>Hates CoD
>>Look at his signature
>>lolwut.jpg

I'm probably taking it out of context, but it was pretty funny.

Anyway, lots of people like RPG's. I dislike the FF series, and love the Mother series. It's all about what your prefer. Who gives a crap about someone else's opinion.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
In America, RPG's just aren't as popular. That's pretty much that. We can all sit here and say, "I like RPG's, and my friends like RPG's, thus, everybody likes RPG's!" but that doesn't mean anything.

It is just the wrong type of game for the average gamer in America, nothing else.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
chrisman01 said:

unsure.gif

I think americans lack the patience to grind for levels, or go through a hour of tutorial, it's all about mindless button smashing and pretty graphics in america

You say this, yet you are an American...

So, as you are proving and as I am proving, not all Americans are impatient or care about graphics, like you just said. Minecraft requires a lot of patience, and it's made of cubes, yet I and many other Americans love it! Strategy games also require a lot of patience, yet many Americans enjoy games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Civilization, etc.

Did you read my edit? I don't like FPS games either, if that is what you were trying to imply.

@8bitwaluigi: LOL yes, I have CoD, but I hated it. And my 360 has been dead for weeks now... 4th RROD. Even when it worked, I didn't play it very often. The 360 needs more strategy games...

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:

So, as you are proving and as I am proving, not all Americans are impatient or care about graphics, like you just said. Minecraft requires a lot of patience, and it's made of cubes, yet I and many other Americans love it! Strategy games also require a lot of patience, yet many Americans enjoy games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Civilization, etc.

Did you read my edit? I don't like FPS games either, if that is what you were trying to imply.
When did I say all americans are like that?

The majority of americans are like that
what's the biggest sellers in america? black ops, halo, gears of wars, etc
we in the USA don't see games like tales of hearts because they know americans won't buy it.

Like I said it's all about mindless button smashing in america

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
chrisman01 said:

When did I say all americans are like that?

The majority of americans are like that
what's the biggest sellers in america? black ops, halo, gears of wars, etc
we in the USA don't see games like tales of hearts because they know americans won't buy it.

Like I said it's all about mindless button smashing in america

um...
unsure.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I see a lot of people slinging broad brushes around here.

Not everyone in the US is a mindless idiot that lives off of Halo, Black Ops and Madden.

I personally DO play Black ops, but I also play puzzle games, fighting games, RPGs, racing games, and action RPGs. Am I the only person in the US with that diverse of a gaming palate? Not even close. So don't paint everyone in this country with that broad brush, please.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
here let me make it easy.

the majority drowns out the minority

and the majority of americans is all about mindless button smashing, if for some reason you think I'm talking about you and want to be offended than have fun with that.
If you're not a like that than be proud of that and know I'm not talking about you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn