Hacking How can you tell which copy of an IOS you have?

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We got a wii for christmas and I've jumped right into homebrew and backup loaders.

I've understood most of what I've read and done and such to my Wii and have HBC installed, some homebrew games, some emulators(which i made wads for myself with WADDER woo!) and backup loader gamma 3 all on 3.4U. I can get wiidumper to work and have made straight 1:1 backups that have worked 90% the time(1 failure, rayman raving rabbids 2) I've also downloaded and burnt some other games, with about a 4/5 success rate(8 games worked, 2 haven't: okami/wii music) Both were PAL copies and supposedly patched. I think thats the source of my problem, but Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 was NTSC and a direct 1:1 copy done by me and doesn't work.

While searching and reading the forums trying to figure out why this handful of games won't work I've gotten a found a ton of possible solutions. Some I can try, different media, burn speeds, wiigionfree and brickblocker patching but none of them work.

What I haven't tried is other backup loaders or the new cioscorp. I followed the thread and it was pretty iffy/complex sounding and I was just scared to try it myself. I am sure I could figure it out, but it seemed to be a lot more risky than any of the guides I've followed.

I am also wondering if the cIOS249 I have is the latest or not. I got it from a guide I found on here around Christmas and can't find it now. I am wondering if there is a way to tell what version a IOS file is? I don't have it saved on my pc/sd card anymore, its just on my wii. How can I find out?

Or should I just remove it with anytitle deleter and install the latest I can find? Would that maybe be the problem? An older IOS249? Would deleting it and installing a new one be 'okay' to do?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice, forgive me if I sounded like a total noob(I am!)

Rudolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think you could try Title Lister.

Don't have any experience with the app, but I believe it does what you requested.

evilkarma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything you've described is exactly the same boat i'm in. Did you use the Softmodding guide for Dummies too? I researched the same for many days and i believe it has something to do with cIOS249 also, but attempts to remove and reinstall it bring lots of errors. Thought about downgrading but just gave up instead. Games that don't work for me:
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Okami
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Shawn White Snowboarding

Wish i knew what they all had in common or why they didn't work because I would really like to play them.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get the zip in my signature - Install cIOS from homebrew channel - and install Wii-ish.wad channel.

The cIOS is the latest and will overwrite the older ones - no need to uninstall.
The Wad will install as a new wad so you can test - if it works ok you an remove the old one from the wii channels menu.

Should help you both.
By the way , you'll notice the file location is the same as wiigators original release - he hosted it on my server and i was one of the beta testers.

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply taz!

got that zip downloaded and waiting for my gf to get off the wii to try out your solution.

will post results.

if it works ill love you forever

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im starting to hope it wont work now
tongue.gif

If it works , all i ask is that you help 1 other person on this forums , even with the smallest thing.

evilkarma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey djtaz,

Thanks for comin to our aid! Runnin into errors though, I ran the cIOS Installer and after it downloads all 15 parts it errors with Add_ContentStart somethin something... -1017 and then exits out.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That error is beause your on version 3.3v2 or version 3.4 - you obviously updated your wii. It makes like a lot trickier

using the files on your SD card , do the following

go to the 6. wad manager and install your copy of ios16
go to the A. custom wad manager and install cios_fix
make sure your wireless is on and go to B. IOS Downgrader and run that

Now go back and try it again and say thanks taz
biggrin.gif

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an error when trying to install the cIOS from the homebrew channel.

so i tried
QUOTE said:

I can install ios16

but when i try to install cios_fix it says error (ret = -1035)

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
franky86 said:
I got an error when trying to install the cIOS from the homebrew channel.

so i tried
QUOTE said:

I can install ios16

but when i try to install cios_fix it says error (ret = -1035)

are u using custom wad manager or wad manager to try to install it ?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It should work , but sometimes doesnt and you have to go to normal wad manager again - try that one to install cios fix

and your welcome - should resolve the issues

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using the regular wad manager worked.

got ios_fix installed

downgraded the wii fine
installed cios

launched up okami, forced ntsc and it now loads, no error!

launched up wii music, and still get green screen.

can't test rayman raving rabbids(used the dvd as a coaster since it didnt work and threw it out) need to rent it and try again. but it was giving the same error as okami so i think it would work now. sweet.

i've read that some games can't be forced to switch region, is that true? perhaps wii music is one of them?

either way, i have 2 out of 3 of my problematic games working.

Thanks a lot djtaz =)

R

r3v3rb

djtaz said:
Get the zip in my signature - Install cIOS from homebrew channel - and install Wii-ish.wad channel.

The cIOS is the latest and will overwrite the older ones - no need to uninstall.
The Wad will install as a new wad so you can test - if it works ok you an remove the old one from the wii channels menu.

Should help you both.
By the way , you'll notice the file location is the same as wiigators original release - he hosted it on my server and i was one of the beta testers.

DJTaz,

Will this also get 'House of the Dead 2' working or is the only way to patch the dvd itself still with the 249 patcher ?

regards,

r3v

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what happens when you try to play House of the Dead 2?

do you get a green screen error or 'cannot read disk, please eject and restart wii'?

cause this solution helped fix those problems for me

if thats what u have, this might work.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@franky - your welcome and glad u got it working ... nice to see your helping others as well
biggrin.gif

I have wii music NTSC and PAL and both work for me , though someone else i did it for had an issue with the pal version so im not sure.

@r3v3rb - if your getting the 002 error with that game or most other errors , then yes getting the latest files should resolve most issues as long as the disc you have is ok - the latest gamma loader combined with cios34 rev7 seems to get almost everything working, though some need to be rebooted with hooks to work for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol