Hardware How can I use my US-Wii in Australia?

exar khun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I'm planning to move from the US to Australia soon.
In this regards, could anybody help me out on how I can use my US-Wii over there?

What do I need to buy?
Where can I buy the items I need?

EDIT: i've just did some more browsing and this is what i've come up with....
for my US/NTSC Wii, the only thing i need is get a universal ac adapter that can accept an input of 100-245V, 50/60Hz and gives an out of 12V, 3.7A, right?
and its safe to assume that most (if not all) latest model TVs sold in australia is a multi-system (NTSC and PAL), right?
so is my understanding is correct?

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need to buy a power converter since they might use a difference power outlet than we do.

And a TV that supports NTSC

cheapassdave

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Austrailia uses 220 volts while the US uses 110v, so you'll need a coverter and maybe an adapter for the wall. then you plug your wii onto the converter, thats it. i bought one in Iraq for around US$20-30 bucks.
also you should be ok with the TVs over there

something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-THG-750-Voltag...84725890&sr=8-9
that's both a step up and step down so just look for step up converters, it'll be chaeper.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia uses 240V not 220V. MOST appliances work from 100 to 240V to save on manufacturing costs. The Wii might have that but im not entirely sure about that. The only place you could get a power cable is EB(I think). Or buy a USA to AUS powerpoint converter for 10 bucks from Jaycar.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd assume you could just buy a Wii Power cord in Australia and it would work fine. My Gamecube Power cord from my PAL-Gamecube (bought in Austria) works perfectly fine on my Japanese Gamecube too, so I'd assume it would be the same case with the Wii.

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia uses 240V not 220V. MOST appliances work from 100 to 240V to save on manufacturing costs. The Wii might have that but im not entirely sure about that. The only place you could get a power cable is EB(I think). Or buy a USA to AUS powerpoint converter for 10 bucks from Jaycar.

Actually Australia uses 230V/50hz. You are right that the power supply coverts between voltages.
240V is still within tolerances though. The best solution would be to shell out a little a get an Australian Wii power cord.

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: i've just did some more browsing and this is what i've come up with....
for my US/NTSC Wii, the only thing i need is get a universal ac adapter that can accept an input of 100-245V, 50/60Hz and gives an out of 12V, 3.7A, right?
and its safe to assume that most (if not all) latest model TVs sold in australia is a multi-system (NTSC and PAL), right?
so is my understanding is correct?

If you don't want to buy a new cord, the only thing you need is an adapter to convert the pin differences ($5). The Wii power supply will take care of the voltage difference. You dont *need* to buy anything else. Although it would be much neater to just buy the new cord.

Most TV's sold here work for both PAL and NTSC.

Do gamecube cables work? They would be cheap.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Where abouts in Australia are you planning to move to? If you know what you are doing buy a new cord and change the ends(ie snip of the US connectors and put an AUS connector on the end). Only do that if you know how to do it(You could die)

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All you need is a step-down convertor or a Austrailian wii power supply. Changing the end of the cable WILL NOT work and will blow the power supply and maybe even the Wii. (Different voltages). If you have alot of US equipment you want to keep I suggest a high powered step-down convertor.
If you buy a recent TV it should have NTSC support.

Gamecube cables will not work, different connections.

exar khun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Austrailia uses 220 volts while the US uses 110v, so you'll need a coverter and maybe an adapter for the wall. then you plug your wii onto the converter, thats it.  i bought one in Iraq for around US$20-30 bucks.
also you should be ok with the TVs over there

something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-THG-750-Voltag...84725890&sr=8-9
that's both a step up and step down so just look for step up converters, it'll be chaeper.

would this also be a good option ?
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-AC-Adapter...84772837&sr=8-1

Or the safest thing is to just buy the PAL AC Adapter when I arrive in Melbourne. How much is it?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be safer to get an official Wii power supply but finding one is difficult, Nintendo don't have an official store in Austrailia but they may have an official re-seller you would have to email them to find out.

I recommend a decent step-down convertor though, it will service your other US devices aswell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Pffffft sending me a PM stating we're all a bunch a mean azzholes :creep:. Same here DUDE