How can i update to the newest firmware upgrade on 3ds luma?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CFWScrub, Apr 29, 2017.

1. CFWScrub
    OP

CFWScrub Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Hello,this is my first time posting here i am not really good at this cfw stuff i had my cousin install Luma for me. After doing so he also somehow updated Luma and installed the latest version of the 3ds firmware that was bugging me and asking for confirmation to start the install. He did it successfull and my 3ds is now on version 11.3.0.36E. Now my 3ds asks me permission to update to the newest version for about 5 days now i thinl. Normally i wouldnt mind not updating but to be able to participate in the latest internet mission in Pokemon Sun it tells me that i need to update my 3ds firmware again. Since i have no idea if i can safely update or not or if it is gonna mess with the fw im asking here for some proffessional advice and help

Nio likes this.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    All you need to do is download the latest Luma3DS from the repo and place the "arm9loaderhax.bin" into the root of your SD card.
    https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
    From there, you will be safe to update to the latest OFW.
    Do note, it's almost always safe to update to the latest OFW because Luma3DS will protect your hacks. But the latest ones have caused some problems with CFWs.
    Also thanks for asking before hand instead of blindly updating!

Nio likes this.
  3. Nio

Nio GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2007
    Gambia, The
    I need to know too. I am in the same situation and all the information is too. omplex for me. I need some straight yes or no!

I already updated lumia zo 7.0. on zhe 3ds itself withouh downloading anything. do i need to do more?

Last edited by Nio, Apr 29, 2017
  4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    With 7.0, you are safe to update to 11.4. All bugs introduced through 11.4 have been fixed.
    I do however suggest updating the latest Luma3DS for more bug fixes.

Nio likes this.
  5. CFWScrub
    OP

CFWScrub Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Alright so i downloaded and extracted the content,got a lot of folders,a bin and PY files.All i have to do is slide my SD in a slot in my pc,there i should look for a folder named Root and i paste everything in it?Any chance there are identical files in there since Luma is probably already inside and do i have to paste over them? The last time my cousin updated Luma it was through the luma updater inside my 3ds is this the manual way?

Last edited by CFWScrub, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    You just need the "arm9loaderhax.bin" file. The rest are for other methods of loading your CFW, so don't worry about them.
    The root of your SD card is actually the "root" or when you plug the SD card into the computer, it's the very first screen that pops up containing all of your folders. It will contain folder like "luma" and "Nintendo 3DS"

7. CFWScrub
    OP

CFWScrub Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Oh i see now..soo

1)I plug in my sd
    2)I ONLY copy/paste the arm9loaderhax.bin on the first screen that appears and ignore all other files it extracted
    3)Open my 3ds with the sd card inside and go to settings and update the official firmware?

i thought it would be more complicated :P what exactly does this amrloaderhax file do to the system to allow it to safely update?

8. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    It should ask you to replace the "arm9loaderhax.bin" accept to replace it. And you should be good to go from there.
    Nope, Luma3DS is a pretty simple CFW to work with.

9. CFWScrub
    OP

CFWScrub Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Thanks a lot for the replies :) the initial install looked a bit tricky so i had my tech sawy cousin do it and it was weird with the bottom screen visual glitch,the resets the bios of your 3ds being visible and tampered with from within the console so i though every update would be as hard as that but i guess it is not

Ah...one last thing i forgot,i got a second sd card which is a small 4gb one,do i have to put the loaderhax in there too?My cousin only threw in some files on that sd to allow it to boot the 3ds because without those files it would shut down when trying to boot

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, you need the arm9loaderhax.bin on every SD you want to use unless you place arm9loaderhax.bin in CTRNAND (but if you place it in CTRNAND you need to remember to update the file in CTRNAND every time)

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Ah, sounds like he installed A9LH.
    With that in mind, just remember to keep an eye on the forums with each update. We are always on top of any problems found in OFW updates and it's best to be aware of these issues and knowing when they are fixed.
    My suggest is to just stalk the Official Luma3DS thread.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/luma3ds-noob-proof-3ds-custom-firmware.411110
    If you need help, they are always willing to help with Luma3DS related questions
    If you have questions related to 3DS hacking, my suggestion is to check out this thread
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/

12. CFWScrub
    OP

CFWScrub Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    ok i bookmarked the thread im gonna be on the lookout everytime my 3ds bugs me about updates.Eveything went well i updated the ofw 3ds booted up and it plays both downloaded games and the ones i bought nad put in my cartridge slot. Thanks again for all the help i think im done for now :P. Gonna put the file on my other sd too now

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  13. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am glad to hear everything went smoothly for you! If you have any issues or questions, never hesitate to bring them up!

14. Nio

Nio GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2007
    Gambia, The
    I still dont get it. I installed arm9loader about 1 month ago. do i still need to copy files to sdscard or is it enough to run the luma3d updater?

i think i am on sysnand by the way. is that important too? my health channel is normal. i floowed 3ds guide when installing everything.

15. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The updater will download the latest Luma3DS, so that's enough to update Luma3DS.
    Once you are running the latest Luma3DS, you are safe to update your sysNAND

Nio likes this.