Hacking How can I translate a game with all its configuration files in .lua?

SagiCL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How can I translate a game with all its configuration files in .lua?

I want to translate dont starve, but all its configuration is in .lua

Reactions: Heynerdb

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This will depend upon many things. First whether the lua you have is compressed or turned into bytecode type setups (puzzle quest on the DS being an example of this).

Many a game using lua has its strings in the same files, however the reason we often use separate text files is because you don't want to have to compile a whole game if you made a typo or want to change phrasing. To that that end it is entirely possible to have to translate a lua using game as you would in a more conventional ROM hacking scenario (pointers, encodings and such). Speaking of encodings I have in the past seen games (Zombie Daisuki on the DS) where you had mixed and matched strings of different encodings and you would have to play to that (or edit the whole game).

So yeah step one is open up the lua files in a text editor and see what you can do, and if the text is in them. After that it is conventional ROM hacking territory, give or take said lua files being compressed with a known compression with tools for it.

SagiCL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This will depend upon many things. First whether the lua you have is compressed or turned into bytecode type setups (puzzle quest on the DS being an example of this).

Many a game using lua has its strings in the same files, however the reason we often use separate text files is because you don't want to have to compile a whole game if you made a typo or want to change phrasing. To that that end it is entirely possible to have to translate a lua using game as you would in a more conventional ROM hacking scenario (pointers, encodings and such). Speaking of encodings I have in the past seen games (Zombie Daisuki on the DS) where you had mixed and matched strings of different encodings and you would have to play to that (or edit the whole game).

So yeah step one is open up the lua files in a text editor and see what you can do, and if the text is in them. After that it is conventional ROM hacking territory, give or take said lua files being compressed with a known compression with tools for it.

If you could help me translate the game would be great.
I can not find a way to translate it

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
You need check every file that contains text files, like one i'm currently translating.
Every game have their files extensions. so the first step for searching the game text is using HxD,CrystalTile2, or any Hex editor.
You also need check if the game have ABC font, if not, that will be harder to remplace the font with Katakana and Hiragana font.
i can help you if you want i guess.
also, what game is that you will translate it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wut.