How can i set my windows boot to start Windows boot manager instead of gnu grub?

Portable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dualbootet my Acer Notebook. I installed ubuntu 19.10 on an externel hdd. But i've got a Problem. My Notebook boot directly into windows without grub, even after changing the boot priority. So i typed in cmd bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
. After a reboot, my system is rebooting all the time and shows for 1 sec "System bootorder not found initializing defaults
Creating boot entry "Boot001d" with label "ubuntu" for file "\EFI\ubuntu\shinx64.elf"
Then I've searched a bit and found out that secure boot needs to be deactivated. So I did after another reboot my system was booting gnu grub from where I could launch windows and ubuntu. And here is my problem. I wanna change the boot settings again. I want that my system directly boots windows. But I am afraid messing up again. Could you please explain me in steps what I have to do, to boot directly into windows 10?

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dualbootet my Acer Notebook. I installed ubuntu 19.10 on an externel hdd. But i've got a Problem. My Notebook boot directly into windows without grub, even after changing the boot priority. So i typed in cmd bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
. After a reboot, my system is rebooting all the time and shows for 1 sec "System bootorder not found initializing defaults
Creating boot entry "Boot001d" with label "ubuntu" for file "\EFI\ubuntu\shinx64.elf"
Then I've searched a bit and found out that secure boot needs to be deactivated. So I did after another reboot my system was booting gnu grub from where I could launch windows and ubuntu. And here is my problem. I wanna change the boot settings again. I want that my system directly boots windows. But I am afraid messing up again. Could you please explain me in steps what I have to do, to boot directly into windows 10?
This should help you change the order to make windows boot by default.
https://tipsonubuntu.com/2018/03/11/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu-18-04-lts/
it also sounds like you installed the bootloader in the wrong location.
Did you read the ubuntu guide?

Last edited by Mythical,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Portable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just installed ubuntu on an external hdd. I partitioned itmy self by following a guide. I installed the boot loader on the efi partition of my extrnel hdd. And I can't install
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer, because it says no release file and that this can't be installed In a safe way, and that's the reason why it is deactivated. How can I just restore my old boot configuration? I did not touched my windows hdd. The only thing I did in windows was in cmd: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
And by the way if I start my notebook without my external hdd (where ubuntu is installed). Grub shows up but don't shows something to boot. It shows some kind of cmd

Last edited by Portable,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed ubuntu on an external hdd. I partitioned itmy self by following a guide. I installed the boot loader on the efi partition of my extrnel hdd. And I can't install
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer, because it says no release file and that this can't be installed In a safe way, and that's the reason why it is deactivated. How can I just restore my old boot configuration? I did not touched my windows hdd. The only thing I did in windows was in cmd: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
just undo the bcedit then. But you didn't install linux correctly. You might have followed a guide but you want to follow the release guide.
I didn't mean to quote you like that but yeah my answer is above

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here, I think this will undo the bootloader mistakes
bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
also find a different repository
https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer
the reason you still see grub is that you installed the bootloader in the wrong place

Last edited by Mythical,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Portable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay so I just boot windows 10 and open cmd as administrator. Then I type in bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
Right? Or should I do something else too.
I just wanna make sure, that I understood everything, because I don't wanna brick my notebook.

Last edited by Portable,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I just boot windows 10 and open cmd as administrator. Then I type in bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
Right? Or should I do something else too.
I just wanna make sure, that I understood everything, because I don't wanna brick my notebook.
Yeah it's like the original edit you made but undoing it

Portable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay i typed in the command, but windows cmd Shows something like "The specified delete command is not valid". What can i do?
I even don't care anymore about ubuntu because my Installation of ubuntu got corrupted. I just want that windows boot manager Boot directly windows 10. I don't want grub. Every time i start my Notebook grub Shows up.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay i typed in the command, but windows cmd Shows something like "The specified delete command is not valid". What can i do?
I even don't care anymore about ubuntu because my Installation of ubuntu got corrupted. I just want that windows boot manager Boot directly windows 10. I don't want grub. Every time i start my Notebook grub Shows up.
go through your history where you found that original command. In the same place there should be an undo command to follow.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the same as yours but there was another, but there is also a warning if I can't boot windows I have to use the installations disc or something like that. I don't have a installation disc of windows. It came preinstalled.
Here is the link of the site that I used: https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/
did you run command prompt as administrator before you performed the command I sent you?

Portable

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's without my ubuntu hdd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200422-192636_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200422-192636_Gallery.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 147

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubuntu doesn't even Show up in the bios.
I'm not really sure, if I was there in person I could probably fix it. At this point I would probably just reinstall windows on your spare hdd then copy your files over then redo your linux install

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself