How can I play PAL games on NTSC(backups)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by forbore, Nov 1, 2008.

Nov 1, 2008
  1. forbore
    OP

Member forbore GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I tried to run 2 PAL games on my NTSC-U console but I have problems. The first game is The Dog Island. When I run it, I get the normal screen problems when running Pal on Ntsc. So I tried to do Force NTSC in Wiigators 0.3 loader but when the gmaes launches, the screen goes black and the DVD drive seems to stop. I also tried Harvest Moon Magical Melody and I had the same problems so I tried using Force NTSC and I get a green screen. What should I do. By the way, they are 1:1 burns on 0.3 loader. I have tried many other games and they all work.

2. Clockswork

Newcomer Clockswork Newbie

Sweden
  3. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    try force pal 'cause on my pal wii when i wanna play ntsc games i have to force ntsc not force pal

4. forbore
    OP

Canada
    Ok I'll try Beatchu's way first and if it doesn't work, ill try clockswork's way! Thanks for the help.

5. Beatchu

United Kingdom
    yeah if mine doesn't work, clockswork's will

6. quim69

Member quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Andorra
    If you want to play a NTSC game on a PAL console you don't need to do anything - it will playback as NTSC automatically. If you want the game to playback as PAL (50 or 60hz) then you will need to force whichever PAL mode you require. Lots of games won't work if they have their video mode changed though.

The Force options are only there if you want to change the default video mode (and if the game allows it).

7. Beatchu

United Kingdom
    i always get a green screen without force ntsc

8. quim69

Andorra
    Are you running some modified version of the loader that forces one of the pal modes? I'm using the original wiigator one and on my PAL wii if I don't select anything NTSC games will run fine (albeit with a red tinge as I'm using an RGB cable). I can also force NTSC and they will run too. If I try to Force PAL then depending on the game some will run but most just green screen.

9. Beatchu

United Kingdom
    i use a channel, doubt that has anything to do with it though.

no force ntsc = green screen
    force ntsc = perfect

i'm using a scart cable

10. quim69

Andorra
    I guess it's a composite scart (or an RGB scart in the composite socket of your TV) then if it runs NTSC games fine? RGB scart on the wii with NTSC has the red screen problem (not just restricted to the backup launcher, modchip users have the same problem :/ ).

Try the cable in a different scart socket on your tv with a pal game and see a massive improvement of video quality. :>

11. forbore
    OP

Canada
    I tried to do Force PAL 60 & 50 but they both failed. In both, I get screen problems.

EDIT: I finished downloading Littlest Pet Shop(PAL) for my sis and I was able to make it work using FORCE NTSC. I still have problems with the 2 others though.

12. quim69

Andorra
    as I said above, not all games allow you tor force their videomode - some do but others will just hang at a green screen.

Nothing that can be done about that at the moment. Your choice is to either get a TV that fully supports PAL or get NTSC copies of the games.

13. forbore
    OP

Canada
    I tried to use WiiFrii On Harvest Moon: Magical Melody. I did: PAL to NTSC-U and then I chose the smart patch but now, it doesn't do anything when I launch the game normally in the loader but it works a little bit better when I force NTSC it. THe game runs at about 7-10FPS, in black and white and with black & gray lines all over it. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for a loader with more compability... Thanks for the help!

14. quim69

Andorra
    A new loader won't help though, as the game is compatible. It's your TV that isn't.

Unless someone finds a way of 100% forcing videomodes on the wii then you will be out of luck (other than the two suggestions in my previous post).

15. forbore
    OP

Canada
    Ok Thanks! I Guess I'll get NTSC copies...

16. Photokon

Newcomer Photokon Member

United States
    Quick question, should I use the "brick blocker" program after I use wiiFrii to convert a Pal game to NTSC?

17. quim69

Andorra
    No, and there is no point converting a PAL game to NTSC.

When used with the backuploader that has no effect.

18. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Nintendo doesn't support PAL output from NTSC systems. Notice the lack of a menu option.

However, it's merely inaccessible by legit means. So homebrew can still access the feature.

This is why PAL games run on an NTSC Wii with the backup loader, don't need patching to NTSC or 'Force NTSC' selected. They'll play fine in their original video mode if you have a PAL capable TV. [​IMG]