How can I Optimize my Wifi Signal?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Gaisuto, Dec 29, 2006.

Dec 29, 2006
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I'm constantly lagging in some games and it angers me. What are all of the ways to make the signal better? What ports to open, I heard something about DMZ before, could someone explain that?

*I'm on a Satalite Internet connection, I believe, in case that matters.

2. question

Newcomer question Member

welcome to the world of the wireless friend. Sorry to say but wireless are no good match with games in multiplayer. You wont get a very stable connection. The best you can do is change antenna on your router to one that have greater reach. measured in dpi, higher the better... same with the wireless card in your computer.

DMZ or "demilitarized zone" has nothing to do with your stability. Its a local secure place for lets say your servers. So if you have a webserver in your dmz people who connects to your website wont have access to your other computers which is connected to the same router.

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    What exactly do you mean "wireless are no good match with games in multiplayer." Isn't the DS Wireless only anyway?

4. the_joeba

Member the_joeba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    he means satalite, it is always the worst in multiplayer

5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    So there's absolutely nothing I can do? Damn it, I've always hated this new internet and now I have a better reason to...

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I can speak from experience. Satellite and online games do not work well together. When I was living with my parents, I was stuck with their Hughes.net (Direcway at the time) internet for a few years and hated it. And of course I researched to find ways to fix it, but couldn't find anything.

The main problem with satellite is that the upstream (upload speed) is way too slow, which has an annoying affect on any games that require quick responses. For example, when I was playing World of Warcraft, the downstream was just fine. I could watch other people and npcs and such do stuff without any lag. However, whenever I did anything that would require sending packets to the game server (such as casting a spell), it would take 2-3 seconds before the action actually registers with the server.

There is just no way around it except getting cable, dsl, local wireless, or some expensive corporate connection such as T1.

7. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    I'm not sure he even means satellite people.

I'm guessing your not of the .001% of people with internet connections that have satellite and are talking about your wireless router. There are several ways to increase the stability of any wireless network:

1) Boost the signal toward your preferred access point
    2) Grab a router with a higher network speed, ie 108mbps as opposed to 54mbps
    3) If using the Windows Zero Configuration Utility, let it connect then turn the service off. This utility will randomly try to connect to other networks in your area if it detects them. This will disconnect you from your own AP for a split second, but in online games its enough to disconnect you or cause serious lag.
    4) Buy an antennae for your network card with a higher sensitivity.