Homebrew How can I make my own ctrnand file to use with any 3DS?

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to make a ctrnand of my old 3DS that I can use on any other old 3DS. Is this possible?

edit: Also want to know if I can I create a ctrnand from a sysnand file.

Solution
So I was able to use decrypt9 to dump my ctrnand on my US system. I also found out that JPN systems that are region changed have corrupt or fragmented ctrnand and thus the ctrnand can't be dumped, according to the message in decrypt9. Does a corrupt or fragmented ctrnand mean that the sysnand will also be corrupt, even though sysnand on region-changed JPN systems can be dumped successfully?

I also found out I can use the 11.15.0 ctrtransfernand from my US 3DS to region-change a JPN 3DS.

assassinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kwyjor, after skimming through that thread it seems it is only showing how to do a ctrtransfer using an existing ctrnand file. I'm trying to find an option to do a ctrnand backup or create my own ctrnand*.bin file.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fair enough.

I think you can copy the CTRNAND image out of a NAND backup with ninfs, but I am not sure if the result has the same utility as the files linked in the Guide.

ETA: It should probably be emphasized that restoring a full NAND backup to a system different than the one that was originally used to produce the backup is one of the worst ways to brick a system.

assassinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't be a full nand backup of one system to another. But I want to compare a ctrnand file from my 3DS and see what the difference is from those ctrnand files for region changing that work with all 3DS systems. From what I understand, a ctrnand leaves out all the specific console files that a sysnand uses.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A ctrtransfer backup is essentially a partial ctrnand backup, with console unique data stripped out. I'm not aware of an easy way to create one.
I'm not sure why you would need to make your own though. It essentially just contains the firmware files and nothing else. If you need a specific firmware version of ctrtransfer, there are other versions (than what is on 3ds.hacks.guide) available online. Can't think of any other reason why you'd want to make your own.

assassinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a system transfer and saved the sysnand of my 3DS after the transfer. I wan't to create a ctrtransfer.bin file of a 3DS in a clean state before the system is setup, which is different than just formatting the 3DS.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can't. Pretty sure a ctrtransfer doesn't contain save data like system setup. A lot of that is probably console unique or personal data so it wouldn't make sense to include it and even if you made a custom ctrtransfer image that included it, the actual ctrtransfer itself will ignore the extra files. ctrtransfer only copies the minimum needed folders to restore a bricked NAND to working or to downgrade. It's not designed to do what you're asking.

assassinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was able to use decrypt9 to dump my ctrnand on my US system. I also found out that JPN systems that are region changed have corrupt or fragmented ctrnand and thus the ctrnand can't be dumped, according to the message in decrypt9. Does a corrupt or fragmented ctrnand mean that the sysnand will also be corrupt, even though sysnand on region-changed JPN systems can be dumped successfully?

I also found out I can use the 11.15.0 ctrtransfernand from my US 3DS to region-change a JPN 3DS.

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat