How can I make backups of the games I own?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by jbeave, Jul 13, 2009.

Jul 13, 2009
  1. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
    I don't own any flash carts or anything yet, I want to know what I need first.

I've read that I can back up a game to a slot-2 device, which is the GBA part right? I have an idea of what to buy but I need to know how to do the actual backing up process. Are there any guides on how to do it?

And no, I can't download the games off the internet. That seems to be the popular way of doing it everywhere I look. I want to back up my physical copies to digital. Any help is appreciated.

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Why not just download copys of games that you already own. Would save you alot of hassle. Anyways just get a proper slot-2 flashcard and download rudoplhs back up tool, should be on the download section of this site i believe.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Because that would be illegal.

4. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
    Is that really all there is to it? Would I still need an M3 or whatever to play the backups?

I need to find a slot-2 flashcard, would EZFlash 3-1 work?

5. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    It might be illegal, just like driving over the speed limit is illegal, and dangerous.

Downloading games that you already own is not ill-moral, since you already paid for them. Use some logic and common sense. Or you worried the Nintendo police are going to track you down and sue you if you download roms?

6. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
    If I could download them, I would. I just don't have the greatest connection and it would take forever (yes, it's that bad).

Please answer my question if you can.

7. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    get rudolphs nds backup tool. yes you could use an ezflash 3 in 1, provided you have a slot 1 card as well. personally i use a max media dock. for the ezflash 3in1, download the 3in1 backup tool, if you decide to get a slot 2 card, go for the slot 2 backup tool, if you want to use just a slot 1 card, no slot 2 card or ezflash, and you have wifi, get the wifi backup tool. you should be able to find them all on rudolph's site.

8. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
  9. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I'd recommend this one:
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

It's cheaper and it works. I also recommend getting an Acekard 2 from that same site. Only problem is that it takes forever to ship...

10. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Pretty sure the M3 Real expansion won't work with the NDS Backup Tool slot-2 version. I'd recommend the 3in1 first, or if you must get something else, get something with its own microSD slot that can run DS homebrew (slot-2 Supercard, slot-2 M3, possibly EZ-Flash IV, etc).

In theory you can use the "wifi" version of NDS Backup Tool right now, but it would require you to setup your own FTP server on your computer. This isn't difficult, but transfer speeds would be very slow.

11. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
    Really? Not too sure I want to trust dealextreme with this type of thing. That site has a bad rep for selling fake flash anything, at least that's what people say at another site I go to. I might think about it since it's so cheap though...

12. jbeave
    OP

Newcomer jbeave Member

United States
    One last thing. Does that mean I can't backup anything without a slot-1 card? I just wouldn't be able to play the backups, right?