how can i know my wii hardmoded or softmoded

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mhzainn, Sep 7, 2011.

Sep 7, 2011
  1. mhzainn
    OP

Newcomer mhzainn Member

United States
    how can I know if my wii hardmoded or softmoded ?

i bought modified wii 4.2U with neogamma r8 beta 7 (IOS 249) (Rev14)
    and homebrow channel

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well a hardmod is a hardware modification like a modchip/wode. Softmod is software like Homebrew Channel, Custom IOS' to run USB loaders/Disc Loaders.

3. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    You could always try comparing the seriel number to ones released post 2008 I believe. People on this forum are knowledgabe about this (can't advise google here cause I cant find much info on this) or you could just do a test burn and see if it'll load up [​IMG] I would advise using a GC game cause I have more success on those then I do actuall Wii games due to the fact I have a hardmod/softmod console. Make sure you do not have a cMIOS but the official one if you burn a GC game to test out; this is a sure fire way to tell; also I would advise a single game burn not multi-disc. Wind Waker is a good choice seeing as it's not advised to burn dual layer or with other games.

I do want to say the main benefits of having a hard/softmod are
    • you have extra brick protection
    • GC Games will load up through disc channel so no need for neogamma (from what I've experienced)
    Cons of having a hard/softmod are
    • newer Wii games will give you error002, etc unless played through USB.

4. mhzainn
    OP

Newcomer mhzainn Member

United States
    but how do i know which one is my device [​IMG] i don't want to open it

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Why do you want to know?

JUST SOFMOD THE DAMN THING USING MODMII!

6. mhzainn
    OP

Newcomer mhzainn Member

United States
    may cause a brick i am afraid of this because i bought it from week ago

7. kylster

United States
    no need to open it at all. A hard mod Wii will be able to play Burnt Games w/o the need of a cIOS or cMIOS so if you burn a GC game and use the homebrew app called Dop-Mii, or you use ModMii to DL an official MIOS.WAD you can install via MMM or WiiMod; just stick in your burnt game and see if it'll play through disc channel.

I use memorex dvd-r and burn using imgburn @2.4x for gamecube.

If your wii will play this with an offical MIOS then it's both hard/softmoded.

8. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    If you are that afraid from bricking download the latest Hackmii installer here. Use to update your homebrew channel & try installing bootmii in boot2. If you can install it in boot2 then make a backup & you will be have an unbrickable wii. If you can't then install priiloader which will make your wii almost brick free unless you do something really stuipd. After that you can use modmii to softmod your wii as it currently have a really outdated cios.

9. mhzainn
    OP

Newcomer mhzainn Member

United States
    sorry i bother you guys
    can i play the any new games of wii 2011 by using usb or dvd, if yes how

10. kylster

United States
    We wont know if you can play games via DVD unless you try on your end sorry.

USB loading is easy just format your ext.hdd to FAT32 cluster size 32kb and use your fav USB Loader (CFG Loader, USB Loader GX, WiiFlow) and rip the games you have to usb; alternatly you could just use the homebrew app CleanRip which does the same thing.

11. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The Wii came with NeoGamma and a cIOS installed and you seriously ask if you have a modchip???

My list looks different, hardmod only advantages over softmod only:
    - Gamecube audio streaming
    - 100% gamecube compatibility
    - Full read speed for Wii backups on discs

If you want import games, you need either priiloader(only works on 50% of games), or some kind of loader(works on >95% of games). Well, and for import games, there's US tvs are crappy problem, where loaders are recommend(video mode patching).

You only get 002 error if you don't update from the discs. The only problem about the updates, are import games. With 4.2+, you need priiloader for those in the disc channel or a loader. And you must not update from an import game of course, because that would brick your Wii.

12. kylster

United States
    WiiPower: I have a cycloWiz and the tongle switch was never installed for me, so it has the very 1st FW available for this modChip which makes it not as good as say a WiiKey or the other modchips out ther atm. Either way it goes I would prefer to not have a modchip in it cause it is just bothersome at times.

I should also note that CycloWiz was in fact very good when I did use it however their description of how to update wasnt quite clear since their main description said "1st modchip to update by cd" yet the term tongle and switch was never mentioned.