Homebrew Discussion How can I install Atmosphere, while not having to lose accessibility to SXOS?

HollowSuperHylianHedgehog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have SXOS, and want to have Atmosphere too. (Once I install Atmosphere, I choose what to load based on the payload I send, correct?)

Since I'm a newbie, a step-by-step would be nice

Reactions: shanefromoz

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used to be where you are right now...

To save you from overcomplicating everything I strongly suggest what I end up doing: solo Atmosphere.
Consider two additional things:
- All Custom XCIs can be converted to NSPs (the opposite is not true)
- DPI app (with mtp responder function) makes Atmos nearly as convenient as SXOS used to be.

However if you decide (wrongly) to keep sxos then you MUST:
1) transfer SXOS to an emuNAND which you would keep at a lower firmware
2) keep your sysNAND (Atmosphere) also at a lower firmware (If you fully update sysNAND firmware, then your emuNAND will break)

So if you are still interested to have this question answered, provide the following so people can help:
- single SD card or two different SDs ?
- which console (Erista / Mariko / Switch Light) and which SX product (SX Gear / SX Pro / SX modchip) do you have?

I hope this is helpful to understand the situation.

Reactions: TinyBilbo

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have SXOS, and want to have Atmosphere too. (Once I install Atmosphere, I choose what to load based on the payload I send, correct?)

Just setup an emuMMC with Atmosphere and you're good to go. You can use Hekate to make the emuMMC.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello,

I currently have a unpatched switch on 11.0.0 and use it with sxos and sysnand.
I was hoping to have a dula boot system.
I was told to leave the system at 11.0.0 and to log into atmosphere and use heakte to create a emunand.
Once i create the emunand i can then update it to the latest firmware.
I use payload launcher to switch between the 2 cfw.
Questions:

1/. Do i creat emunand on sxos also or just leave it?
2/. Once i create emunand what size do i make it?
3/. Do i do hidden or files on sd card?
4/. Will the same games work on both sxos and atmosphere?
5/. Will saves work on both sxos and atmosphere?
6/. I was told to add exosphere config to block updates (im already banned). Will it still work with filezilla?

Thank you for your assistance

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I was told to leave the system at 11.0.0 and to log into atmosphere and use heakte to create a emunand.
Questions:

6/. I was told to add exosphere config to block updates (im already banned). Will it still work with filezilla?

1. Use Hekate to create the emuMMC
2. The emuMMC can be whatever size you want
3. Either files or partition is fine
4. There is no game that works only under 1 CFW
5. Save files are stored in the internal memory. When you initially create the emuMMC, it is a copy of your sysMMC so any save files from there will be copied over to emuMMC. However any new save data will not be shared between the 2
6. You can simply use 90DNS instead.

felonius

Trophies
XP
Country

To save you from overcomplicating everything I strongly suggest what I end up doing: solo Atmosphere.
- DPI app (with mtp responder function) makes Atmos nearly as convenient as SXOS used to be.

2) keep your sysNAND (Atmosphere) also at a lower firmware (If you fully update sysNAND firmware, then your emuNAND will break)

So if you are still interested to have this question answered, provide the following so people can help:
- which console (Erista / Mariko / Switch Light) and which SX product (SX Gear / SX Pro / SX modchip) do you have?

Hi, where do i start to do the lateset solo atmosphere?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Yes, or you can use Hekate to choose the payload for a more convenient way to switch between them.
You can also launch payloads from the SX menu but it's not able to launch Atmosphere directly, you must launch Hekate and run Atmosphere from there. But if you use Atmosphere as your primary CFW the first option is better.
There is not much point in using both though. Since you can't launch XCI on Atmosphere you need to install your games as NSPs, so you can't take advantage of the main advantage SX OS has. Atmosphere is superior in just about every other way.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

Questions:

Some games won't work on SX OS as they require a newer firmware that won't work with SX, also you can't use XCIs so if you want to run the same games on both you have to install all of them as NSPS, in which case there is not much point to using SX OS since XCI loading is the main advantage it has over Atmosphere.
Don't touch the sysNAND; it's best to leave it clean for your legit games so you can go online and get updates and all that and you won't get banned. You can run multiple emuNANDs on different firmware versions. Actually by default SX OS and Atmosphere expect the emuNAND to be in different locations on the SD card so you don't even really have to change anything to be able to use different emuNANDs with both. Just the actual formatting of the card is a bit tricky since if you format the emuNAND from either Hekate or SX it wipes the card, deleting the other emuNAND you had. But you can manually create the Atmo emuNAND partition using an older method (resizing the FAT32 partition to make the emuNAND fit, and manually making a new partition of size 29856 MB on the end of the card, leaving it unformatted), Hekate should be able to detect it and flash the NAND files to it without formatting. Of course you need to make the SX emuNAND first since that will wipe the card anyway and there is no way to make a SX emuNAND without wiping the card since it gets put on the beginning of the card, the FAT32 partition has to be recreated/moved.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

lipanz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i use different sdcard, one for sxos as i want to keep old emulator works fine, and another one with atmosphere to play switch games. it keep me less headache. both is running on emunand. so sysnand will keep at the lowest possible firmware.

felonius

Trophies
XP
Country
i use different sdcard, one for sxos as i want to keep old emulator works fine, and another one with atmosphere to play switch games. it keep me less headache. both is running on emunand. so sysnand will keep at the lowest possible firmware.
Hi, can you tell me where to start atmosphere on a new sdcard?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[/p1111

This is mostly incorrect.

Most NSP CAN me converted to XCI just fine.
MTP works great in SXOS. Tinfoil is my preferred MTP client. There are a few,
You can have your EmuNAND and SysNAND at completely different Sys Versions. It wont break EmuNAND.

I do not recommend using SysNAND for Anything.. Except maybe going online if your SysNAND is untouched..
This is exactly what I did...keep sxos in sysnand 11.0 and setup emummc with atmo..works well for me
I don't recommend this at all. SXOS has less brick protection than atmosphere. You can have multiple EmuNAND. That is the sane approach. They can be on separate SD cards or multiple on the same SD.

The type of console changes a few steps however it doesn't change the end result. If you were running SXOS in the first place you can run SXOS AND Atmosphere on it.
I can load atmopshere but every time i try to run a game it says "Game can not start".
Sigpatches have been updated
Games you installed using SXOS's built in installer do this in atmosphere. You can reinstall them with Tinfoil/awoo etc etc. SXOS installer patches them in a way Atmosphere isn't compatible.

You have a few choices...

1. You may set up a SEPARATE SDs with each CFW. 1 SD with your SXOS EmuNAND. 1 SD with your Atmosphere EmuNAND. This is easiest and fairly self explanatory however swapping SDs is a pain and your consoles SD slot is kinda fragile. Just make a Second SD for Atmosphere and update that EmuNAND only.
  2. You may Setup BOTH on the same SD using a Hidden partition EmuNAND for one CFW ( I recommend Atmo on the Hidden partition if you go this route) And the other CFW in a file based EmuNAND. The only issue I have with this is that file based EmuNANDs tend to corrupt.. Then you lose your save files.
  3. You may setup 2 hidden partitions (my preffered setup, most stable) for all your CFW needs. There is no current tutorial. I am writing one up but haven't had time to work on it for a few days now. I'll work on it soon.) This route is the safest. Installing/running NSP files and XCI files carries some risks. Jerks have put bricking code in to them in the past. EmuNAND stops the code from being run on your real SysNAND. If it bricks you just make a new EmuNAND. Going this route also leaves the SysNAND available for going online. This is the standard. If you have an untouched backup you can restore it and go online with almost no chance of a ban.
Each EmuNAND costs 32 GB of space on your SD but you can shrink them. I have my SX EmuNAND at 8GB currently just for save games. For ALL games I made Super XCIs with the updates and DLC built in. Even for NSP games. In my SXOS EmuNAND I am ONLY running XCIs from my USB drives.

I am working on the tutorial to make 2 hidden partition EmuNANDS on the same SD. I will test it and make sure it's 100% compatible with Eristas. I will have someone test the Markio consoles too then I will release it. I don't want the community frying their SD reformatting too much. Expect sometime next week if life stops getting in the way.

Be careful who you listen to regarding SXOS information on this board. A lot of people just try to get you to ditch it. They either don't know and are talking out of their ass or are blatant liars. SXOS is hated in the Temp. Some pirate pirates code intended to circumvent Nintys protections (pirate-ish) and now the pirates are butt hurt. They willfully spread misinformation. You can use SXOS for EVERY 11.0 compatible game. Most NSP work fine as XCI and you don't have to chose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans