Hacking Question How can I have a working dual boot setup SX OS / Atmosphere with the SX Dongle?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I can't get my mind around one thing at the moment,

Given that I want to use both Atmosphere and SX OS with my SX Dongle. Following situation.
This is exclusively about the SX Dongle, which is tied to boot.dat - not anything else. Of course I could just inject either the one or the other payload if I use phone, computer, other injector. But with SX Dongle you can't.
  • The SX Dongle is tied to the boot.dat, it doesn't load anything else, and the SX OS boot.dat includes the whole CFW, the SX Gear boot.dat ist just a Chainloader.
  • When I want to use SX OS CFW, I have to have the SX OS boot.dat on my card
  • the SX OS Payload does nothing else but redirect to boot.dat
  • Since SX OS 2.6, you can not boot Atmosphere from SX OS bootloader anymore, it just blackscreens. It also does not work to load another Chainloader like Argon, and try to load Atmosphere from there. If booted with SX OS boot.dat, you can't start Atmosphere
This essentially means, since there is no other way to get into SX OS but the SX OS boot.dat, and the SX OS boot.dat won't allow loading Atmosphere anymore, I can not have a working setup that lets me choose between SX OS and Atmosphere - right?
At least not on SX OS 2.6 - it worked fine on 2.5.3 but that is obviously no future proof solution

There is one thought that crossed my mind - if it was possible to take the SX OS Payload.bin (that you have to use if you don't have the dongle) and redirect it to something else than boot.dat - maybe call it sxos.dat then, and put a custom boot.dat that goes to ArgonNX and you can choose from Modified SX OS Payload (redirecting to renamed boot.dat) or Atmosphere. But I don't know if one can edit the Payload that way.
Any other ideas, Anything I am not seeing?

Last edited by wurstpistole,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kosmos does the job
Maybe... elaborate? What does Kosmos do? Boot SX OS and Atmosphere?
Or do you speak of Kosmos as a CFW that can be booted from SX OS?
Are you sure about that? Did you try it with SX OS 2.6?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I use Hekate to dualboot (or triple boot actually since I'm on 6.2.0)
Yeah but how?
Mind that I speak exclusively of using the SX OS Dongle, which is part of the problem. Not anything else. If I take anything else - third party injector, phone, computer, of course I can just inject the payload I want.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe... elaborate? What does Kosmos do? Boot SX OS and Atmosphere?
Or do you speak of Kosmos as a CFW that can be booted from SX OS?
Are you sure about that? Did you try it with SX OS 2.6?

Yeah but how?
Mind that I speak exclusively of using the SX OS Dongle, which is part of the problem. Not anything else. If I take anything else - third party injector, phone, computer, of course I can just inject the payload I want.
Well kosmos uses hekate and atmosphere so you can use kosmos instead of that to boot to atmosphere. Also when using reboot to cfw you can make it so that it boots to hekate using the Kosmos toolbox and through that boot to whatever you want

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The sxos payload can chainload hekate
I know that, but does booting Atmosphere from there work, if chainloaded with SX OS?
Since using a boot manager like Argon to do this did work on 2.5.3, but not on 2.6

Well kosmos uses hekate and atmosphere so you can use kosmos instead of that to boot to atmosphere. Also when using reboot to cfw you can make it so that it boots to hekate using the Kosmos toolbox and through that boot to whatever you want
But does that work with SX OS 2.6? Did you try it?
I know that it should work - in theory - but as you see it, booting Atmosphere doesn't work anymore when it did just fine on 2.5.3

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know that, but does booting Atmosphere from there work, if chainloaded with SX OS?
Since using a boot manager like Argon to do this did work on 2.5.3, but not on 2.6

But does that work with SX OS 2.6? Did you try it?
I know that it should work - in theory - but as you see it, booting Atmosphere doesn't work anymore when it did just fine on 2.5.3
I don't use sxos but i know someone else uses it that i know and it's the best thing you got for an sxos user. He boots it just fine on 2.6. Plus you can boot in to sxos and also use the reboot to cfw function to choose whatever you want to boot through hekate so that's a win/win in my eyes

Last edited by kumikochan,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use sxos but i know someone else uses it that i know and it's the best thing you got for an sxos user. He boots it just fine on 2.6. Plus you can boot in to sxos and also use the reboot to cfw function to choose whatever you want to boot through hekate so that's a win/win in my eyes
Okay, I'll give it a try. Also hekate itself could work.

Yes. It works if going through Hekate. Thanks for the input, I can include it into my Tutorial then

Reactions: kumikochan

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I set it up the same way myself now. Hekate as the Reboot-to-Payload, and from there you can boot SX OS or Atmosphere whichever you want.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using kosmos/hekate or hekate standalone ? It's better to use kosmos tho since it has hekate and atmosphere together
Hekate just as the middle man between SX OS and Atmosphere. Booting Atmosphere payload from Hekate. Can as well just autoboot it, then Hekate is just the chainloader.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys,
I can't get my mind around one thing at the moment,

Given that I want to use both Atmosphere and SX OS with my SX Dongle. Following situation.
This is exclusively about the SX Dongle, which is tied to boot.dat - not anything else. Of course I could just inject either the one or the other payload if I use phone, computer, other injector. But with SX Dongle you can't.
  • The SX Dongle is tied to the boot.dat, it doesn't load anything else, and the SX OS boot.dat includes the whole CFW, the SX Gear boot.dat ist just a Chainloader.
  • When I want to use SX OS CFW, I have to have the SX OS boot.dat on my card
  • the SX OS Payload does nothing else but redirect to boot.dat
  • Since SX OS 2.6, you can not boot Atmosphere from SX OS bootloader anymore, it just blackscreens. It also does not work to load another Chainloader like Argon, and try to load Atmosphere from there. If booted with SX OS boot.dat, you can't start Atmosphere
This essentially means, since there is no other way to get into SX OS but the SX OS boot.dat, and the SX OS boot.dat won't allow loading Atmosphere anymore, I can not have a working setup that lets me choose between SX OS and Atmosphere - right?
At least not on SX OS 2.6 - it worked fine on 2.5.3 but that is obviously no future proof solution

There is one thought that crossed my mind - if it was possible to take the SX OS Payload.bin (that you have to use if you don't have the dongle) and redirect it to something else than boot.dat - maybe call it sxos.dat then, and put a custom boot.dat that goes to ArgonNX and you can choose from Modified SX OS Payload (redirecting to renamed boot.dat) or Atmosphere. But I don't know if one can edit the Payload that way.
Any other ideas, Anything I am not seeing?
I think you can use any payload with a chainloader to boot the SX OS payload (not the boot.dat but the actual payload that goes on the dongle)

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use Hekate to chainload Atmosphere, ReiNX, SX OS.
What you're not getting is that you cannot do this with
THE SX DONGLE
which this is all about.
Since SX OS is written into the boot.dat
and boot.dat is what the SX Dongle exclusively boots
and you cannot replace the boot.dat by Hekate
Since then you won't have SX OS anymore.

Of course, with any other payload injector I could just whatever chainloader I want. But not with the SX Dongle.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THE SX DONGLE
which this is all about.

Of course, with any other payload injector I could just whatever chainloader I want. But not with the SX Dongle.

Just get an regular RCM dongle then, SX OS Dongle is overprice anyway when you can get the payload online.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
THE SX DONGLE
which this is all about.

I guess you are right, I didn't consider that. You can load other payloads through SX OS/SX Gear, and you can load SX OS from other payloads, but as both methods rely on swapping out the boot.dat and/or payload.bin, you cannot do both easily. Maybe hex editing the SX payload so that it will load another file like for example boot.da2 would work, so you could have two SX payloads, with SX Gear payload as boot.dat loading into a chainloader like Hekate, and the other payload (which you load from the chainloader) loading into boot.da2 containing SX OS. I don't think the main RCM payload is encrypted so it should be hex editable.

But it would be easier to have SX OS as the main payload, and use the payload loader feature to load into Hekate or another chainloader when you want to use other payloads like Atmosphere (even if Atmosphere doesn't work directly from SX' chainloader it should work from Hekate)

Alternatively you could pick up another dongle. I ordered an RCMloader One on AliExpress the other day and it was only $10.69.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@wurstpistole it's a long way around it.. but try this app – it allows the 'reboot to payload' to select between different payloads - https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher

So the long way would be, use SX dongle and boot to SX OS, run the app and select the reboot payload as atmos.. then it should reboot into atmos and you can have both OS on the same SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.