Homebrew How can I get my edited .BCSTM music (BGM) files to loop correctly? (DQMJ3)

MemBat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm thoroughly enjoying the fan translation of this game, it so good to finally be able to play through it, really hoping someone works on the professional version in the future soon, anyway, as title says.

I have successfully extracted and converted all the BGM music .BCTSM files, just to lower their volume as I find the music volume in DQMJ3 to be excessively loud. All I've done is lower the volume by about, well, according to Audacity by about 12Db or lets for arguments sake say it's about 75% quieter. However when rebuilding my .3ds file, it outputs a file that is larger size for one, but also, the tracks are not looped, they just sort of play once to the end then stop playing, this is especially a problem in "open world" areas.

So my question really is, what do i need to do to re-import these edited audio files so they loop correctly? Or better, do i need to extract them to a specific length first (some are 1:06 and another is 2:16 for example with BGM Track 4 which is the Reactor Room theme music) then convert them back with loop data, if so how?

Any help would great as I feel i'm almost there.

MemBat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought i'd answer my own question for those interested! With a bit of time and trial and error in these particular times, i figured out how to do it, it was quite simple actually, hopefully my method doesn't have knock on issues down the line but I don't see why not.

Using "Looping Audio Converter" I added all the "BGM" files to it, i selected the "amplify(db)" check box and the "amplify ratio" check box, in the DB i selected in this case -16db and left the ratio at 1.000, i left the format as the same (BCTSM) but crucially for some reason in this case i UNCHECKED the bottom right "covert directly between BCTSM etc" checkbox. In doing so (albeit 1 file at a time as LAC seems to occasionally crash with more than 1 or 2 files at a time) i made 28 in this case exact copies of all the BGM files for the game, rebuilt my .3ds file (in this case I am playing the game on Citra) and viola, the game works perfectly as normal, with now, much lower volume BGM but still loud enough as not to kill the atmosphere. This results in battles having much clearer and more detailed sound effects being able to here each attack and enjoy it much clearer! Didn't think it would be as easy as this but turns it was. For future reference that's how you do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong