Hacking How can I flash/hack my DS Lite to support WPA connections?

Blazikun

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let me get this clear

1)I'm not going to unsecure my wireless connection
2)I'm not changing to WEP encryption cos its sh*t
3)I need to know how to hack my r4ds/ds to support WPA2-PSK encrypted networks instead of only UNSECURED or WEP.
4) I'm not buying an adapter

I have a DS Lite with an R4 running Wood R4 RPG, but i can switch back to regular R4 Firmware.
I have a launchable YSMenu aswell

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The DS/DS Lite don't support WPA. So you either have to live with it or get an DSi - that supports WEP as well.

D

Deleted User

That's your problem. I really do not care just use WEP. If not too bad. Or Get a DSi.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pyrosurfer said:
lol.... WPA isn't much better.

Read up on how to obscure your WiFi signal (turning off SSID broadcasting, MAC filtering, etc) and use WEP.
If anyone wants to get on your WiFi signal bad enough, they'll get it. Period.

Might as well enjoy yourself rather than being paranoid.

Blazikun

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
pyrosurfer said:
lol.... WPA isn't much better.

Read up on how to obscure your WiFi signal (turning off SSID broadcasting, MAC filtering, etc) and use WEP.
If anyone wants to get on your WiFi signal bad enough, they'll get it. Period.

Might as well enjoy yourself rather than being paranoid.
ok but i dont want WEP. wired equivalent privacy. 3 words that sums up why i think its sh*t.
i mean its easily cracked with aircrack. my friend had his network hacked. wpa is better.

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pyrosurfer said:

What's so bad about WEP? First I also had WPA but I changed it to WEP (without letting my family know cus they'll go crazy if I change anything). I haven't had any problems and I can acces wifi on my DS.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pyrosurfer said:
ok but i dont want WEP. wired equivalent privacy. 3 words that sums up why i think its sh*t.
i mean its easily cracked with aircrack. my friend had his network hacked. wpa is better.And you can do the SAME THING with WPA...

WPA is only marginally better than WEP right now, so it doesn't really matter which one you use because (as I said) if someone wants to get onto your WiFi, they will.

QUOTE(Jasper07 @ Apr 12 2010, 03:32 PM) What's so bad about WEP? First I also had WPA but I changed it to WEP (without letting my family know cus they'll go crazy if I change anything). I haven't had any problems and I can acces wifi on my DS.
WEP is not as secure as WPA.

Think of it like this...
WEP = a gate with a doorknob... Anyone who can turn a knob can open it with ease.
WPA = a gate with a latch... Anyone who can operate a latch can open it with ease.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best right now is probably WPA2/AES, with SSID broadcast disabled, MAC filtering enabled, WiFi router access disabled, and a totally random gibberish, SSID name and long (ie, more then 36 characters) key.

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
selinewwww said:
get ndsi please, then there will no problems!
But flashcarts can't use the DSi's features. Including its WPA compatible wifi.
EDIT: thanks for the post below
tongue.gif
, big mistake.

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
WEP is not as secure as WPA.

Think of it like this...
WEP = a gate with a doorknob... Anyone who can turn a knob can open it with ease.
WPA = a gate with a latch... Anyone who can operate a latch can open it with ease.

Yes that's true. But, anyone who can, and would want to hack a WEP encryption thing, could probably also hack one with WPA, if he/she would want to. So I don't think they are that different.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pyrosurfer said:
Only 2 options here:

1 - use an unsecured WLAN of a WEP secured connection from your neighbour (which should be easy for you since you claim WEP is sh*t)
Or
2 - don't use WEP and just live without a connection to your DSI

QUOTE(pyrosurfer @ Apr 12 2010, 07:34 PM) 3)I need to know how to hack my r4ds/ds to support WPA2-PSK encrypted networks instead of only UNSECURED or WEP.

You can do it but you have to do a little bit of work. Take the following steps:
- Disassemble your Nintendo DS
- Unsolder the EPROM holding the firmware program data and read it out with an Eprom programmer ( Some EPROMs might be protected, in that case plan a break-in at the Nintendo DS design centre to obtain the source code )
- Reverse engineer the firmware code to compilable source code (if you had to steel the source skip this step)
- Program the WPA 2 PSK encryprion code. There are open source examples in the Linux kernel, that would be a good start (note: you may have make hardware changes to swap the WLAN chip if the chip in the DS it doesn't support WPA, in that case use another chipset and modify the driver to use that one instead.
- Compile the program with you changes. Be sure to keep the same memory map since some games may depend upon it. If the memory of the DS is too small to hold the extra code you may have to expand that too. You may consider a hardware redesign in that case.
- Burn your new EPROM
- Solder the modified EPROM back into your Nintendo DS
- Assemble your Nintendo DS

As you see, easy and simple. Good luck and be sure to report back here, some others may be interested in your modified EPROM and the required hardware changes you had to make.

By the way, the WPA 2 specifications are publicly available at ISO and ETSI for a small fee. There are also companies who will sell you the equipment to verify compliance with the WPA 2 standard. You have to buy a sh*tload of equipment, but hey, not a new adapter as you requested.

Good luck!

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Stropdasje said:
pyrosurfer said:
Only 2 options here:

1 - use an unsecured WLAN of a WEP secured connection from your neighbour (which should be easy for you since you claim WEP is sh*t)
Or
2 - don't use WEP and just live without a connection to your DSI

QUOTE(pyrosurfer @ Apr 12 2010, 07:34 PM) 3)I need to know how to hack my r4ds/ds to support WPA2-PSK encrypted networks instead of only UNSECURED or WEP.

You can do it but you have to do a little bit of work. Take the following steps:
- Disassemble your Nintendo DS
- Unsolder the EPROM holding the firmware program data and read it out with an Eprom programmer ( Some EPROMs might be protected, in that case plan a break-in at the Nintendo DS design centre to obtain the source code )
- Reverse engineer the firmware code to compilable source code (if you had to steel the source skip this step)
- Program the WPA 2 PSK encryprion code. There are open source examples in the Linux kernel, that would be a good start (note: you may have make hardware changes to swap the WLAN chip if the chip in the DS it doesn't support WPA, in that case use another chipset and modify the driver to use that one instead.
- Compile the program with you changes. Be sure to keep the same memory map since some games may depend upon it. If the memory of the DS is too small to hold the extra code you may have to expand that too. You may consider a hardware redesign in that case.
- Burn your new EPROM
- Solder the modified EPROM back into your Nintendo DS
- Assemble your Nintendo DS

As you see, easy and simple. Good luck and be sure to report back here, some others may be interested in your modified EPROM and the required hardware changes you had to make.

By the way, the WPA 2 specifications are publicly available at ISO and ETSI for a small fee. There are also companies who will sell you the equipment to verify compliance with the WPA 2 standard. You have to buy a sh*tload of equipment, but hey, not a new adapter as you requested.

Good luck!
SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
how_do_i_do_that said:
He already asked this in the WIFI section.

We already told him NO.
I assumed he wouldn't take NO for an answer. I can't believe there are people who think a simple hack can change WEP into WPA2 PSK. Apparently they don't have a clue about the massive amount of specification and technology there is behind WLAN and its protocols and that you need either a sizable R&D department to build something like that or have to buy it from a chip vendor (who did the the R&D in that case).

Nintendo DSses, cell Phones, flat screen televisions, PC's etc are all commodity devices but all of them are extremely complicated. Even an R4 card seems simple but isn't. Far from it. Asking to hackin some new piece of technology is absurd. Something like that can only be done if it is already in but is software wise disabled or something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: and that's a clean report center