How can I cross-region purchase on the Virtual Console?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by TeeR, Sep 22, 2012.

1. TeeR
    OP

Member TeeR GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Would I be able to cross-region purchase on the Wii through the Virtual Console channel? Specifically to download Panel De Pon and SMB2 Japan (cheaper) via the japanese Virtual Console channel. And haven't they changed to a cash system? Basically, I'd just want to know:

How/If I'm able to cross-region purchase
    When I should add Wii Points
    If I can leave with no Wii Points left unspent.
    If I'd lose any money or games.

If someone were to help me with this, thanks in advance.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm pretty sure that you can't purchase cross-region content in any legitimate way, mainly because of the PAL/NTSC division which is still instituted for some reason.

...you're free to install illegitimately-acquired WAD's though, if that answers your question.

1 person likes this.
  3. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I've spent points and downloaded free content with a 4.2 system menu using the shop channel from 4.3 so they're not that good about telling what system menu you have.
    BUT
    I think your shop account IS tied to the specific console ID so I wouldn't know if they have records or pay attention to what region you were the last time you connected. I also don't know if there's an independent system per-region or not. If there is then you'd simply create a new account for each region.
    I also remember reading somewhere something like "if you format your Wii please delete your shop channel account first." but I'm not sure if that means multiple accounts with the same Wii is possible or not.
    This is all speculation, of course.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You can't purchase from other regions unless you're willing to delete your shop account, that means you will lose all purchases you've already made. Then if you ever wanted to change back to your normal region you would have to do the same thing again.

1 person likes this.
  5. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Seriously just do this. Its way easier.

6. TeeR
    OP

Member TeeR GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Would it be legal if say...
    I already owned a European version of Pokemon Ranch & downloaded a WAD of the Japanese Pokemon Ranch with update?

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    No i would not be legal. Bu it would be easier and way less of a headache haha