How can I create my own font in Windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Gizametalman, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    So my question here is, how can I make a personal font out of hand drawn letters and numbers?
    The purpose is to use them in personal projects like games and videos.
    Is there any way to do this?
    I count with a scanner, a lap, pen and paper and free time.
    :D

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Most PC fonts are vector artwork rather than old school bitmap fonts. Said bitmaps are used in a lot of older consoles and handheld console games but even the mainline consoles have been seen to use vector fonts for a while now..

I must confess I have never really looked into bitmap fonts on the PC but that might be an option for you to use for video purposes. That is assuming you want basic subtitles and such rather than something like the following which very much does make use of vectors

You can trace your hand drawn letters and make vector images out of them but it is lot of work -- if you think your job ends having pressed inkscape's trace function then you are mistaken or are making a bad font. Most people would design them in the PC from the start these days.

Most of my font bothering is to edit them, usually because someone did think pressing trace in inkscape was a good plan and it was, at least until I needed a lot of text to be printed at a very large size with a resolution you could definitely pick things out for or they thought their job was done when it was loaded in and neglected to properly sort the kerning and all the other stuff you need.
    https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/ is a good start there. It can make things from scratch too.

Gizametalman likes this.
  3. SamThiiSaminator

SamThiiSaminator Makes everything 3ds-related brick

Dec 14, 2016
    West Sussex, England
    I recommend FontForge. Remember to scan your glyphs in PDF format!

Gizametalman likes this.
  4. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Nice! thank you both of you!

5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I used this for my handwriting.
    http://www.myscriptfont.com/

6. Anapan

Anapan Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2003
    Canada
    I know how! I made the pokemon font (from Pokemon Factory - my old site), and a bunch of others. I don't really hang around GBATemp anymore. Contact me at my old address - anapan8@hotmail.com