Gaming How can I check if my X-Box 360 is hacked?

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
My X-Box 360 was a gift from a friend few years ago and he told me at the time that it was hacked. It came with a lot of legit games and a CD case full of non-legit games.

At the beginning, I've tried to play non-legit games but they didn't work and since the console came with a reasonable amount of legit games that I enjoyed, I didn't spend much time trying to figure out how the CFW worked. But now, I want to take things to another level and mod it or at least learn how to (re)activate and work with the CFW.

I've asked my friend for more details about the console, but he said the CFW was installed by his ex's brother and they don't talk since the breakup with his ex.

Is there any way to check if my X-Box 360 is modded before I end up bricking it for trying to hack it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Yes and no.

There are two types of mod for the 360, maybe three but nobody really cares about shared live profiles and related stuff there these days (shared profiles aside it was all very minor and does not add much to things).

DVD mod.
This allows you to play as it was 1:1 DVDs from a compatible region if you burn them. There are ones that replace the drive and take in a USB there too. The drive replacement side of things is obvious but the plain DVD mod is not.
MS did also release an update for some later games that rewrote the DVD firmware to allow it to support slightly larger games (see XGD3) that might mean both the DVD mod and its abilities to play older burned games is gone and you will need to find the key and flash it...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and no.

There are two types of mod for the 360, maybe three but nobody really cares about shared live profiles and related stuff there these days (shared profiles aside it was all very minor and does not add much to things).

DVD mod.
This allows you to play as it was 1:1 DVDs from a compatible region if you burn them. There are ones that replace the drive and take in a USB there too. The drive replacement side of things is obvious but the plain DVD mod is not.
MS did also release an update for some later games that rewrote the DVD firmware to allow it to support slightly larger games (see XGD3) that might mean both the DVD mod and its abilities to play older burned games is gone and you will need to find the key and flash it again, as well as maybe reburn some of those discs after being fixed. There are also some other games that do other things here (see AP2.5) but we will skip that for now. Equally some of the really old stuff might not support the newer things (its internal security blocking them as bad when in fact they are just newer than it knows about).
You can check the discs if you want with a PC tool called ABGX360 and see what that says.
If you tear into the drive in some models there will be signs of wires and other things, or replacement PCBs. Others will appear as stock drives.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-hack-your-360.334203/ has some more there, and also for what follows, and what you might need to have to attempt it.

It playing a copied DVD is a fairly decent giveaway of a mod, however there are also plenty of reasons why some of those existing discs might not work so I am not 100% pending what kernel it is on, what drive type it is (you can tell from external clues) and what ABGX360 says about the discs in question. I am not sure I have a reliable way of telling with it in the system other than it reading a copied disc. Outside the system with a flashing setup then maybe, though at that point...

Dash mods and other things.
Cheats, homebrew, xbla, dlc, modded versions of all of said same, region free, USB loading, hard drive loading, any replacement hard drive you can convince to be powered by it, software USB mouse-keyboard adapters... does tend to come at the cost of online play though* unless you do system link over the internet (which you can do with a modded box and a stock box as the ping checks are only for the host I think it was). Amusingly enough does not allow copied DVDs to inherently work (enough of the security being in the DVD drive means it can not command it to ignore it from the system itself), though if it is modded you can read out the various keys and thus decrypt the DVD keys which is usually 99% of the annoyances with DVD modding, not sure what went with the ability to flash from the modded dash.
There are some things you can try like powering on with eject and you might see the xell/xellous bootup screen vs the flashy normal power on. Equally if you can see inside the case then the wires needed to do either a JTAG mod or a RGH mod will be obvious. This sort of mod is far rarer than a plain DVD mod.

*dvd mods can do online, in the past there were banwaves but I doubt we will see another. For RGH there is also dual NAND option but it is very annoying and tedious to do.

Solution

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
OP
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for spending your precious time with such a detailed explanation and advice.

I'll make sure I'll look into all the aspects mentioned in your comment above and will try to figure out what my console is capable of in terms of modding.

And, with that, I'm sure I'll find a good way to take the best advantage of CFW in a X-Box 360.

I'll come back to this thread if I have any questions.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse