How can i achieve this style of glow in PS ?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by omarrrio, Jan 25, 2016.

1. omarrrio
    OP

omarrrio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2010
    Macau
    nowhere
    Hi, the red arrow shows everything:
    [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The way I usually do it in GIMP will be similar to what you have to do here, however I am not in front a copy of photoshop right now so I will have to go theory instead.

Anyway select the alpha of the text layer.
    You can increase the size of the selection if you want.
    Make a new layer and with the alpha still selected fill it with black/grey/whatever you want. Put it behind the text.
    Pick your preferred blur (Gaussian is what I usually go for) and pick one that makes a suitable effect for you (larger images tend to want more blur for the same relative effect).
    If you did not have it behind the text then put it behind now, for some things I shuffle it a few pixels in a given direction.
    Some also like to increase or decrease the transparency of the blurred layer. If you want it slightly darker then duplicate the layer.

You can twist this is a few different ways. As well as increasing the pixels or blur you can blur one layer a little bit and then another underneath that more to have the glow go further and taper off more quickly.

As I do have GIMP here I thought I would do an example
    glowdemo.jpg

omarrrio likes this.
  3. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    [​IMG]

effects added : outer glow / removed the noise from the outer glow in the setting / colour overlay was used just to choose white text as i wrote in black innitially lol / and stroke to give the text its outline. gives similar effect to yours , all those settings can be tweaked of course with the sliders.

or it could just have a drop shadow and move its alignment to behind the text rather than off to one side.

Last edited by pwsincd, Jan 25, 2016
    omarrrio likes this.
  4. omarrrio
    OP

omarrrio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2010
    Macau
    nowhere
    for me the outer glow effect does nothing AT ALL, it being active or not, size being 0 or 250 px, doesn't change a single pixel on the text.

Although FAST's way was more efficient yet less "text" editable, but that was not the point, thanks guys.