How can HANS lead to piracy?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Pacheko17, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Pacheko17
    OP

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    I've been seeing a lot of people saying that HANS could indeed lead to piracy, but I just really don't see how. Can anyone explain this?

And before anyone says anything, I'm against piracy, and I only have original games.

2. Voxel

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I'm guessing that we can't just run any old 3ds rom because it relies on the system's secure files to be able to play it. (files like ticket.db and encryption algorythms)

3. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    HANS is definitely the most advanced thing we do have, for users who have their methods available, running HANS allows you to have hacks, mods, and better compatibility with some homebrews, but the thing is, even though HANS is the hot shit, it still has some locks and problems with the Internal 3DS kernel, which is mandatory in order to run any sort of Backup Loader, CFW, hell, most of smea hacks resorts in exploiting the system in almost everything but deep Kernel Exploits, as that would allows the possibility of the described method.

Also, if you have original games or not, that's not what it matters, i could go on explaining how saying that you're against or favor to piracy isn't really that important, specially on a forum where the biggest attraction are things like hacks and backup loaders. but this is just another topic, anyway, so in conclusion, yes, theoretically, it is possible to find a way to exploit HANS in order to run that sort of things, but HANS isn't enough, the program itself would have to be supported by another program (Let's say, HANS needs "XXC" program, something that has deeper access to the 3DS commands) so with that, you could fuse "XXC" + "HANS" and that would give you = HanXXC.

But again, this is easier said than done, coding a program like that would take quite an amount of time, I think is easier creating a CFW than a support program for HANS in order to do those things, but i'm not quite sure, so in a nutshell, yes, HANS could lead to piracy if it had some sort of support program, which that isn't the case for the moment, maybe in a soon or late future, who knows, but i predict that another CFW would do the job much better and easier than anything HANS could do for that matter.

Something whatever likes this.
  4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    whatever that guy just said mostly doesn't make sense.
    people assume that hans, with the options it has given us so far, must, on some way or another go beyond the userland access that current hax have given us, which, if it actually was the case, meant that there is an exploit going beyond userland which is where all the cia and piracy stuff happens. with smea as the most responsible of all of us, being the one that has all control over it. since he does not want piracy, he uses that exploit to give us only what hans can do so far, keeping the rest away from us (among other things by keeping the source code to hans private for now, which, if released, might show that exploit to the world and quickly lead to unrestricted access to anything hans supposedly could be capable off)

however, all of that is only assumption, based almost entirely on the amazement of hans and its source being private.

Ericjwg likes this.
  5. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    HANS by itself doesn't allow anything that could lead to piracy.

However, by reverse-engineering it, we could get access to CIA installation, and that is currently being worked on, supposedly a PoC should appear in the next days / weeks.

6. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    That's precisely the thing ; we don't know.
    HANS can do many things that Regionthree/four couldn't. That shouldn't be really "impressive", if there wasn't one peculiar thing ; Smea didn't release the source code, like he did with R3/R4.
    HANS can already bypass all the HOME menu checks ; some people also claim that it bypasses the new AP. Who knows what its full potential is?
    So, everyone is awaiting for someone to RE it, and hope that this "someone" finds something interesting :creep:
    So, this is entirely (almost) baseless speculation, but isn't that what we tempers do best? :P

7. Pacheko17
    OP

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Welp. Thanks for clearing that out for me, guys.

I decided I'll stick to the side that thinks it isn't capable of piracy, but you never know and I honestly don't care.

8. Eskuero

Eskuero Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2015
    United States
    "There's *almost always* more than your eye can see."
    Optimus Prime

However smea have been really carefully with the source code, that leaves the door open to any conspiracy theory. Maybe is smea illuminaty?

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    For me it seems down to one simple fact: You can use both custom code and romfs with it. Theoretically this would allow us to use any code and romfs we want, even ones from completely different games (similar to how Loadiine works on Wii U), but for some reason that doesn't work, though I suspect that is something that could be worked around if we figured out what prevents it from working.

Ammako and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  10. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    Sky3DS.

11. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Seriousness:
    I don't think it makes use of a kernel exploit, but I wouldn't know. If it did, changing the CPU clock on N3DS would be compatible with just about every title. I read somewhere on these forums that an NTR plugin changes the clock speed for *every* game without any problem, and lets you use the C stick normally, unlike HANS.

Not so much:
    smealuminati confirmed.

GotKrypto67 likes this.
  12. TheKawaiiDesu

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Isn't every title compatible with the 804MHz CPU clock feature? I thought all the bugs had been fixed...

SomeGamer likes this.
  13. neobrain

neobrain -

Apr 25, 2014
    That's just entirely wrong. Anyone claiming that HANS is useful for CIA installation is either lying or doesn't actually know what they're talking about.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah, it doesn't.

14. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    I've been out of the loop for about a week. Read that maybe two or three days ago, preceding an update to the homebrew started pack(probably just the eShop launcher) letting you connect to the eShop again, after the maintenance.

Good to know.

15. neobrain

neobrain -

Apr 25, 2014
    You can't use any code or romfs. You have to adhere to whatever limits are set by each target application, and hence cannot load infinite amounts of data, nor can you execute code violating the particular application's access restrictions.

16. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    Just wait, the topic is actually being discussed publicly here, but with a very clever thread title to not get too much attention. I'm not working on that, but so far, several members have agreed that it's theoretically possible and the team that's working on it just need to write the code now. They promised a PoC for the next days, let's see what happens. As far as I know, it could be all a very big troll, but, what can one do.

Last edited by Josephvb10, Nov 10, 2015
  17. dannyboy941

dannyboy941 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2012
    Is something do with ExHeader of the game if Hans shows invaild icache if you use from exemplar like Ninjacubic Code and romfs on Pokemon Y? Why has Hans no costum ExHeader any senses? Because i try make a fail .3ds file with super mario 3d land romfs and exefs and a wrong ExHeader is does same like on Hans if he get that error on Citra 3ds Emulator says Title ID Mistach before booting that game. Sorry for the offtopic or spamming what ever that called

18. TheKawaiiDesu

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    You're talking to neobrain, who is a *really* experienced dev from the Dolphin / Citra team... So I think he knows (a lot) more than us, and probably 99.9% of GBAtemp members :P

Josephvb10 likes this.
  19. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Well HANS support CodeFS and RomFS replacement right?
    So what if I (let's say) put in Cubic Ninja and let it use CodeFS and RomFS from Pokemon X?
    Technically this still counts as a mod :D

20. Msama

Msama Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2015
    France
    It doesn't work.