How bad is it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DaFees, Jul 16, 2008.

Jul 16, 2008

How bad is it? by DaFees at 1:24 AM (8,263 Views / 0 Likes) 81 replies

1. DaFees
    OP

Member DaFees GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well hello everyone. I'm semi-new here. I have a wii and recently got into the TP hack and the homebrew channel. I've installed a few things so far. MK64, SSB, and such. Well I wanted Super Mario Kart on my wii, with it's own channel and such. Well I got this game in .wad format, installed it and restarted my wii. Well I get the health and safety warning, but then I get sent to a blank screen, with no sound or nothing.

Did I brick my wii? Any hope or means of repair? Anyway I could back my data because I'ven't done so yet?

Forgive me if I am wrong by making this post, but this is the first time I've ever done something of this caliber to something I own.

2. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    you got banner bricked. if you have a modchip, you can fix it, if not... [​IMG]

3. jayparadox

Member jayparadox GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    If you have a modchip, download this ISO and burn it with ImgBurn(latest version): http://rapidshare.com/files/121448651/WAD-...OBOOT_.rar.html

Just pop in the Disc on the Warning screen, and it *should* repir your Wii. You need to have the WAD that bricked in the SD before you run this disc.

If you're from USA, you've got to use RegionFrii to make this disc work on your system.

4. DaFees
    OP

United States
    Well I am from the USA with a USA wii, no imported games though. I do not have a modchip nor exactly know where to get one nor how to install one.

is the necessity of a mod chip my only answer? Plus what is regionfrii and how do I use / apply it? Lastly, I know for a fact the images I used in my banner were perfect to what they had to be, how else could this have happened?

5. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    your screwed

6. jayparadox

Spain
    Well, if you don't have a modchip, there is nothing we can do.

RegionFrii is a program that changes the region an ISO has. PAL ISOS don't work on other region systems, and this program changes the region so it does work on other systems.
    The banner part, even if the images were "perfect", I'm almost 100% sure it's a BRLYT file problem.

7. DaFees
    OP

United States
    So there's nothing I can do, all my data is lost then. Would I have any luck sending it to ninty for repair or no? Also, even though I don't have a mod chip installed, could I install one?

8. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    for once, i can say i totally agree with your post sammy

9. jayparadox

Spain
    You could install one, and it would help you get it corrected.

I don't really recommend you sending it to Nintendo...

10. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It would have to be one that you flash with an actual chip programmer. Since you wouldn't really be able to program it from a disc. He seems too unprepared to do anything but send it to Nintendo and hope for the best...

11. jayparadox

Spain
    He can install a normal chip, and get the ISO running. It would uninstall the bad channel and repair his Wii.

If he sends it to Nintendo, they will send back a formated/new Wii with absolutely nothing in it(savegames, etc...).

12. DaFees
    OP

United States
    ok, I am willing to try this mod chip approach. What mod chip do you recommend? What tools will be required? A tutorial perhaps?

13. jayparadox

Spain
    Get someone to install it for you.
    I'm not really a "hardware" guy, so maybe someone else will help you out with that [​IMG]

14. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Depends which drive chip your wii's DVD-ROM has...

How old is it?

Put your serial in here and tell us what it says -> http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php

If it's a DMS / D2B without cut legs - get a wiikey.

Otherwise, D2Pro9 or Wasabi V2

15. DaFees
    OP

United States
    "Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-DMS.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut."

Any recommended modchip retailers? Also when you say "get someone to install it for you", what do you mean by someone?, [​IMG]

16. SenorClean

Australia
    It's an old one then... probably out of warranty anyway!

Wiikey or Free-Clip programmed with YAOSM are probably your best options.

You can get free clip from here -> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12714 You'll need a tri-wing to get your wii open too -> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7705

Note - you will have to use the programmer to program it yourself... if you aren't comfortable with this, just get a wiikey.

I don't really know of any good mod shops in the USA, but I'm sure they exist.

17. DaFees
    OP

United States
    Well of course it's old, I've got a launch console. I suppose I shall look into a wiikey. Can I assume I would need to get a soldering iron or would the mod chip come with those tools?

18. SenorClean

Australia
    Free clip needs no soldering....

Wiikey does - and you'd need an iron. If you don't already have one, I'm assuming you don't have much experience.... the wii is pretty crazy-tiny, even though the wiikey is much easier to install than d2c mods - I wouldn't recommend it as a first project!

19. DaFees
    OP

United States
    well I have done some basic soldering in a high school physics 2 course. Is one mod any better than another. I mean could one do something the other can't?

Also, wht programming language does the free clip use or require?

BTW, thank you all for your help and at the very least I have learned / am learning my lesson.

20. SenorClean

Australia
    Functionality is much of a muchness...

Free clip can be programmed with YAOSM (Yet Another Open Source Mod Chip) there's info about it here -> http://wiinewz.com/forums/yaosm/ You won't have to do any coding yourself... just attach the programmer to your computer, run winpic, feed it the latest YAOSM and it'll flash it for you.

There are plusses and minuses of open source vs commercial chips. Both will ultimately give you the same result.

The advantage of free clip - is that if you still can't unbrick your wii - Nintendo will probably be nicer to you if try to return a board that hasn't been soldered to!