How bad is it being on the opposite side of popular opinion?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Just as you may like a game that everyone else hates (or majority of people will) or a game you like that no one else will, how bad is it? I mean is it dangerous to express the opinion and safe to keep quiet or something? I mean I don't like death threats as much as I dislike being hated. I just was concerned since some people are extreme with such debates. :unsure:

2. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Well, I think it all comes down to the person you're having that debate with! If you know that they will get really into it, or that they will be "offended" by your opinion and take it to an extreme, then I wouldn't say anything. However, you have the right to say what you like and dislike! People should respect your opinion/feelings/thoughts and vise-versa.

3. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Oh, I have plenty where that comes from.

4. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    Frankly, I just keep my mouth shut at this point. People are way too butthurt nowadays....

VinsCool, N1N, dsionr4 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    This post has been removed due to the staff's corruption to money and other people.

Last edited by Vipera, Aug 13, 2017
  6. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    a lot of times popular opinion become word of mouth truth/fact/billie jean. I hate it how people get brainwashed so easily. NO, WONDER WOMAN SUCKED imo, it was a terrible movie. I see this stuff all the time in pro boxing, its sickenng

7. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I like Paper Mario Sticker Star, yet so many other people hate it. I don't really see why though

8. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    For once I can actually agree with you

Dionicio3 likes this.
  9. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Same, I liked it too! It's not the best paper mario game, but it was still pretty good

CeeDee and Dionicio3 like this.
  10. gameboy

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    pmss was extremey flawed, no need to fight enemies at all and the boss fight weakness made zero sense

11. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    It's a lonely hill to be on that is for sure. I'm always have these conversations with people online and IRL and it always goes back down to feels over reals or good old strawmans.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

FYI PMSS was an awful game and anyone who liked it needs to get theit head examine. :P

TotalInsanity4 and gameboy like this.
  12. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I still don't see why it was bad? Care to explain, I want to see the other side of this

13. JellyPerson

JellyPerson GBATemp certified Gorillaz Fan

Jul 26, 2017
    United States
    that place full of lurkers
    To be honest, I actually kinda did like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I mean it wasn't the worst game ever made, and it sure as hell isn't as good as the other ones, but I still kinda liked it.

And yes, I think PM:SS is a good game.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  14. gameboy

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    pmss, you use three stickers to kill enemies and get one back, killing them is completely unnecessary as you just maneuver around them, there were zero clues as to get around sticker gates, i got stuck in the forest for hours because there are no hints if you get stuck (had to use the internet to progress), boss fight sticker weakness were a mess and made zero sense. the game had major flaws

15. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    You just suck, I completed it when I was 10 without the internet

16. gameboy

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    an invisible block with no hints got me, i cant just go around in circles over and over

17. Dionicio3

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Just keep jumping, also, all hidden blocks I have seen had visual clues

18. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    It all depends on how much you value the opinion of others and how much you value your own opinion... What I mean by that is if someone disagree's with your opinion don't get all upset about it. It's OK for people to like different things or not like the same things you do :)

I love some really crap games going by average review scores and I dislike some works of art also going by review scores.

As a couple of examples, I loved Cruis'n on the Wii, a sort of sequel to Cruis'n USA and World. But it was almost universally panned as being bad... It's an arcade style twitch racing game with nothing to do with reality, I had a blast playing it and I still enjoy it. But I think it has like an average of 5.2 out of 10? (I should look it up)

Also Zelda Breath of the Wild... I didn't like it all, I found it boring and uninspired... Buttttt almost everyone on the planet thinks it's a 10 out 10 game and I should burn in hell for not liking it.

But in the end it's like Art or food or cars, it's because not everyone loves or hates the same things that we get diversity and that I wouldn't want gone no matter what, I like having choices and options.

Edit: LOL Holy crap it's got terrible reviews. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/cruisn but you know what? I still had a blast playing it and love it for me the game was like an 8.

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo, Jul 29, 2017
  19. Sinon

Sinon The Wolf Girl

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Hey, I also liked Sticker Star (Still not quite as good as Paper Mario 64 but hey)
    I think Yooka Laylee is good, many seem to dislike Yooka Laylee but I´m ok with it

Last edited by Sinon, Jul 29, 2017
    Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  20. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I hated the original New Super Mario Bros for DS. It was way too simple, easy, and was too many steps backwards from Mario 3 and Super Mario World. But the ratings for the game were through the roof. IGN gave it a 9.5 on a 10 point scale. Seriously!?! That game was pretty bad.

GK Chesterton said "A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." I tend to agree with him.