Hacking How are Sandisk MicroSDHC cards

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't get Sandisk. for 2GB get an A-DATA. I use a 2GB Apacer (not sure how good it is), and it works fine.
smile.gif

visitor000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have two genuine Sandisk 8 GB (class 4) cards and they working great with M3 Real. Don't know how they compare to other cards but I'm happy - no complaints.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's not really possible to tell wether sandisk works good with m3 real.
i have sandisk 4GB class2 and i never had any SD-related problems.
however there are a lot of people who do have problems with sandisk.
(examples of SD-related problems: twewy freezing during one of the first cutscenes, and choppy video with movieplayer)

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
it's not really possible to tell wether sandisk works good with m3 real.
i have sandisk 4GB class2 and i never had any SD-related problems.
however there are a lot of people who do have problems with sandisk.
(examples of SD-related problems: twewy freezing during one of the first cutscenes, and choppy video with movieplayer)

With SDHC you preferably want a high class one.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have an 8GB Sandisk Class 4 microSDHC card myself (genuine) and it freezes in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on occasion. I have it formatted to FAT32 explicitly set to 32KB cluster size. I confess I never tried the game in the non-Sakura firmware, I will later, but is anyone else with that card having problems with Portrait of Ruin with or without Sakura? Is anyone with a different card not having problems with that game in Sakura?

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
AMPonzi said:
I confess I never tried the game in the non-Sakura firmware, I will later, but is anyone else with that card having problems with Portrait of Ruin with or without Sakura? Is anyone with a different card not having problems with that game in Sakura?

I've had the same problem and i've bought transcend class 6 microsd. PoR is playable right now, but sometimes it freezes too (very rarely).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it's a very rare occaision that it freezes, with seemingly nothing in common each time, then it could be a problem with contact. A bit of dust can cause such problems, but more likely it's because the M3 Real isn't a 'perfect' fit in NDS phat or lite slots (I've tried both, with 2 M3 Reals, although the second did fit better than the first in both NDSs). Occaisionally, if it's not a perfect contact and/or if you move about when playing, it can lose contact for an instant, which can be enough for freezes.

That's happened to me a couple times when playing a really frustrating boss, although it's always isolated incidents. Just have to remember to play games calmly and to treat my NDS like I treat my PSP - gold and win in a box!

BTW, I use SanDisk MicroSDHC 8GB C4. I also have SanDisk 2GB, 1GB and 512MB (the latter being provided by Motorola). No problems with any of them at all, except for TWEWY on all of the above in the opening cinematic (but no freezes after that). I haven't tried with Sakura, but I probably don't need to - others have already attributed TWEWY freezes with slow card media.

MaXiM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a 2GB Sandisk, 8GB Sandisk SDHC (Class 4) and a 4GB SDHC (Class 4) Kingston and all work 100%. I don't think testing cards on Sakura right now is a great option as it's still too new... If you are going to report games hanging on your cards, rather do it testing them on the last M3Real Official Firmware as the Sakura has bugs....

So far the Sandisk 8GB is the easiest to work with and it came with a kickass MicroSDHC Reader... My M3DS bundled Reader died after 7 days and I had to use my non-SDHC Sandisk Reader (Mobilemate SDDR-103) which others have said won't read or write SHDC cards and it works 100% with both my SDHC Cards... Go Figure.

TWEWY froze when the ROM was first released for me, but a new firmware version didn't help until I read somewhere that you need to delete the Save Game file which I did and now it works 100%.... so much for slow memory cards being the problem
smile.gif
.. it was the firmware and the initial save game....

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you know whats funny actually?
so far i've had 2 in-gameplay freezes since i have my NDS.
both times where with an official need for speed underground 2 game.

Nagaroth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a 4 GB SanDisk (Class 2... when I found out it was too late) and to this date I have yet to experience any kind of slowdown, freeze or data corruption. Maybe it's just luck, dunno. I'm no expert so stick to what others have said, just wanted to clarify that not all the cards are the same even if they are the same brand/class.

visitor000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I never had any freezes on sandisk 8 gb, but I never tried "Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin" (which is hanging for AMPonzi). Hopefully, I'll try it later today or tomorrow and see if it hangs or not.

P.S. I don't know if this matters or not, but after every copying of new files/folders to sandisk sdhc card I always do a quick defrag with JKDefrag (like "JKDefragCmd.exe -a 2 f:"), to eliminate fragmented files, maybe this is why it never freezes for me?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
visitor000 said:
I never had any freezes on sandisk 8 gb, but I never tried "Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin" (which is hanging for AMPonzi). Hopefully, I'll try it later today or tomorrow and see if it hangs or not.

P.S. I don't know if this matters or not, but after every copying of new files/folders to sandisk sdhc card I always do a quick defrag with JKDefrag (like "JKDefragCmd.exe -a 2 f:"), to eliminate fragmented files, maybe this is why it never freezes for me?
you know you're reducing the lifetime of your SD by doing that right?

visitor000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
visitor000 said:

you know you're reducing the lifetime of your SD by doing that right?

Who cares, we live only one life
smile.gif

1) I don't add files often, let's says 2-4 times per month.
2) this defrag option only defrags fragmented files, does not touch already continuous files (does not optimise free space), so would not have big impact.
3) And by the time it dies 8GB cards will be so cheap, because 32 GB (and bigger) cards will be out there. It's not a floppy disk days anymore, no need to worry about it that much... And I prefer convenience today, than hypothetical long life of hardware.

biggrin.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've never heard that defrags lower SD life before, but then again it does make sense. Somewhere buried in manufacturer websites they provide specifications for the average lifetime for memory cards. I think it was something like 100,000 read/write cycles, maybe more. Basically, somewhere around the same as the time it takes to wear down the contacts for the memory card in the first place.

visitor000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
I've never heard that defrags lower SD life before, but then again it does make sense. Somewhere buried in manufacturer websites they provide specifications for the average lifetime for memory cards. I think it was something like 100,000 read/write cycles, maybe more. Basically, somewhere around the same as the time it takes to wear down the contacts for the memory card in the first place.

Yeah, who cares about this read/write limit - apocalypse could come earlier, and if not - you could always buy a new card as replacement
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
According to 70% of world religions, the apocalypse should have already come several times by now. Well, whilst waiting for something along those lines to happen, we can always enjoy playing new games on our handheld consoles for years to come
biggrin.gif

visitor000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
According to 70% of world religions, the apocalypse should have already come several times by now. Well, whilst waiting for something along those lines to happen, we can always enjoy playing new games on our handheld consoles for years to come
biggrin.gif

Crap, it's already 70%, I didn't think that it's that bad already! Not much time left then! Have to start playing games more often, before it's too late!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

MaXiM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Who cares, we live only one life
smile.gif

1) I don't add files often, let's says 2-4 times per month.
2) this defrag option only defrags fragmented files, does not touch already continuous files (does not optimise free space), so would not have big impact.
3) And by the time it dies 8GB cards will be so cheap, because 32 GB (and bigger) cards will be out there. It's not a floppy disk days anymore, no need to worry about it that much... And I prefer convenience today, than hypothetical long life of hardware.

biggrin.gif

Exactly...
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.