Hardware How are people not bothered with how dull and washed out the colors are on TN screens?

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm playing FF explorers right now and the colors on my 3DS (dual TN variant) are so dull, blurry, and washed out it's as if I'm playing the game with a white filter on my screens. And no I'm not playing the game while the 3DS is tilted off to the side but rather I'm playing the game HEAD ON, you know, how like normal people like you and me play games on our handhelds?

How did Nintendo even get away with producing these cheap TN panels? The visual quality and bad colors on the thing seriously puts me off from playing any game on it. Haven't played a game seriously since.

Why did no one complain about this screen issue and sued Nintendo for it? Their selling IPS variants and TN variants for the same amount of money so a lot of people are gonna pay the exact same amount and get an inferior version of the product.

It just baffles my mind how no one is complaing about this (even if there is, they aren't that many to cause a real issue for Nintendo). Does Nintendo even check the visual quality and color production on bothvariants before sending their units off to game stores? Cause it seems they don't.

Has Nintendo even officially mentioned something about this screen issue? It's bullshit that some of us aren't enjoying our handhelds.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of threads on this issue; some people don't mind TN/IPS and others do. There's also the fact some screens are from different manufacturers.

I think you might be able to ask Nintendo if they could do something about it (for your console, if the screen looks that bad.)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't gonna reply to this kind of thread but i will anyway. "How are people not bothered with how dull and washed out the colors are on tn screens?"

I don't very much care about that, I have a system that works well, that is all i need for it to do. The 3DS to begin with doesn't have impressive graphics with a screen not even displaying resolution of 480 or 360, mostly 2d sprite games are the best looking, even anime videos in them are as good. There is more things to concern with the system than TN VS IPS Color quality when graphic quality or 3D doesn't eve prove well enough for majority of players.

I have 2 new 3ds systems with IPS top screen and TN bottom screen. Depending on the game (yes some games actually use bottom screen to play than top screen) It will be noticable i guess but is not my concern as the game works, i can see well and play just fine.

To be perfectly clear, this is a opinion, and while tn and ips have very much different features, is all opinions that matter. Why do people still use the normal size 3ds instead of 3DS XL? Why do people buy 2DS if the main system existence is to pay games in 3D? I don't have answers for the questions, and i doubt anyone knows why New 3DS systems are sold with either TN or IPS, i think this is probably a accident or a lack of recourse issue that if many buy them, need to supply demand had to get them to use another option to keep up stock. But is all just guess, i would like to know what the deal is between IPS/TN screens being sold but nintendo never addressed the situation. They probably care less about it than most of us do.:unsure:

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are a lot of threads on this issue; some people don't mind TN/IPS and others do. There's also the fact some screens are from different manufacturers.

I think you might be able to ask Nintendo if they could do something about it (for your console, if the screen looks that bad.)

some people just believe they're entitled to a slightly better thing.

ips has slightly better colors in my opinion, i couldn't care less about the viewing angle thing. but its certainly not better enough to warrant sending back 6 consoles and annoying the shit out of overworked retailers that have to go through the paperwork of taking back countless sold 3ds'

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: Hanafuda

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
some people just believe they're entitled to a slightly better thing.

ips has slightly better colors in my opinion, i couldn't care less about the viewing angle thing. but its certainly not better enough to warrant sending back 6 consoles and annoying the shit out of overworked retailers that have to go through the paperwork of taking back countless sold 3ds'
Well you are paying your hard earned money for it. Naturally you want the best of the best. And as for your second point, this wouldn't even happen if Nintendo just settled with the IPS panels in the first place. But no, they just had to be cheap and greedy.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got pictures of O3DS, O3DS XL, and N3DS XL all running Moon--I'll find them later today, but it's a thing of chance to get a screeen you'll be comfortable with. I have dual IPS (new) and dual TN (old) on both XL, but I couldn't tell you which one I prefer for colors. Obviously, IPS has the advantage on angles, but 75% of the time it's opinions and circumstances.

From a realistic view on business, you get whatever material you can get at a decent price. Also, this is the real world and crazy stuff happens--you never know, maybe the people at a certain manufacturing plant want 10% more for their screens beause that company refuses to pay higher taxes to cover their employees who work longer hours to keep up demand of their product and that company feels Nintendo is big enough to eat the cost, rather than foot the bill themselves. There are also manufacturers who would undercut others just to put Nintendo as a business partner to get their name recognized. I'm sure there a lot of other shady business deals that go on that our bodies aren't ready for.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife has a top IPS and it looks great. She barely plays games. I have quadruple TNs basically between my o3ds and n3ds, but never really give the matter much thought when actually playing a game.

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got pictures of O3DS, O3DS XL, and N3DS XL all running Moon--I'll find them later today, but it's a thing of chance to get a screeen you'll be comfortable with. I have dual IPS (new) and dual TN (old) on both XL, but I couldn't tell you which one I prefer for colors. Obviously, IPS has the advantage on angles, but 75% of the time it's opinions and circumstances.

From a realistic view on business, you get whatever material you can get at a decent price. Also, this is the real world and crazy stuff happens--you never know, maybe the people at a certain manufacturing plant want 10% more for their screens beause that company refuses to pay higher taxes to cover their employees who work longer hours to keep up demand of their product and that company feels Nintendo is big enough to eat the cost, rather than foot the bill themselves. There are also manufacturers who would undercut others just to put Nintendo as a business partner to get their name recognized. I'm sure there a lot of other shady business deals that go on that our bodies aren't ready for.
Pictures please!

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I don't mind playing on TN screens if I have no access to IPS screens, but if IPS is available, it's far superior IMO. It's worth the effort to get at least top IPS.

It's not fair that people who pay the same price might end up with inferior TN screens... but that's just how it is.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people not bothered by the low resolution and pixilated screens of the 3ds? The Vita oled screen is at least twice as good.

See how that makes you sound?

There are a lot of people who don't necessarily care. You, on the other hand, seem to be sensitive to it. That's fine. And I know there are others. But trying to make an argument about it isn't a good practice.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm playing FF explorers right now and the colors on my 3DS (dual TN variant) are so dull, blurry, and washed out it's as if I'm playing the game with a white filter on my screens. And no I'm not playing the game while the 3DS is tilted off to the side but rather I'm playing the game HEAD ON, you know, how like normal people like you and me play games on our handhelds?

How did Nintendo even get away with producing these cheap TN panels? The visual quality and bad colors on the thing seriously puts me off from playing any game on it. Haven't played a game seriously since.

Why did no one complain about this screen issue and sued Nintendo for it? Their selling IPS variants and TN variants for the same amount of money so a lot of people are gonna pay the exact same amount and get an inferior version of the product.

It just baffles my mind how no one is complaing about this (even if there is, they aren't that many to cause a real issue for Nintendo). Does Nintendo even check the visual quality and color production on bothvariants before sending their units off to game stores? Cause it seems they don't.

Has Nintendo even officially mentioned something about this screen issue? It's bullshit that some of us aren't enjoying our handhelds.
Because it doesn't look dull and washed out to me?
I don't know what else to tell you man.
It doesn't look as colorful as an AMOLED screen, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - AMOLED screens are way oversaturated. It looks colorful enough to me.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imho, ppl are too hung up on this shit. If it's not 4k, 60fps and the most brilliant screen ever, people bitch. Look, it's a nintendo system and a handheld to boot. If nobody would have discovered that 3ds systems ship with different screen types, most ppl would never notice. And i know it makes me WAY uncool, but I'm perfectly fine playing games that are 30fps. I highly doubt it looks so washed out as to appear to have a white filter. If it does indeed look that bad, maybe your system is starting to die/malfunction. You could post a pic to show us what is so terrible about your screens.

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
How are people not bothered by the low resolution and pixilated screens of the 3ds? The Vita oled screen is at least twice as good.

See how that makes you sound?

There are a lot of people who don't necessarily care. You, on the other hand, seem to be sensitive to it. That's fine. And I know there are others. But trying to make an argument about it isn't a good practice.
Yeah but we aren't comparing a Vita to a 3DS here. We're comparing the SAME product only difference is product#1 has superior IPS panels while product #2 has the inferior TN panels. Nintendo doesn't tell the buyer that they use two different display tech in their N3DS line. People buy a N3DS without knowing what the screen of the system they're buying even is. See how unfair that is? Pay the same exact amount only to receive an inferior variant.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Imho, ppl are too hung up on this shit. If it's not 4k, 60fps and the most brilliant screen ever, people bitch. Look, it's a nintendo system and a handheld to boot. If nobody would have discovered that 3ds systems ship with different screen types, most ppl would never notice. And i know it makes me WAY uncool, but I'm perfectly fine playing games that are 30fps. I highly doubt it looks so washed out as to appear to have a white filter. If it does indeed look that bad, maybe your system is starting to die/malfunction. You could post a pic to show us what is so terrible about your screens.
I would take a pic but whenever I take a pic of my 3DS's screen with my phone, the colors of the taken pic appear more colorful than what they really look like if you were looking at it close up in person.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am actually more confused as to why this is a big deal? It's not you paid anything different for them and most of them the differences aren't extremely noticeable. It just seems like something extremely trivial and people are just overreacting over it.
Honestly I don't think people really give a shit.

Reactions: V0ltr0n

mario-lucis-caelum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am actually more confused as to why this is a big deal? It's not you paid anything different for them and most of them the differences aren't extremely noticeable. It just seems like something extremely trivial and people are just overreacting over it.
Honestly I don't think people really give a shit.
Why wouldn't it? Pay money for the inferior variant while people who paid the exact same amount as you get the superior one.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that most probably don't give a shit about any of this.

Cause Nintendo is still installing TN displays in their N3DS line. Heck, the special Pikachu edition that just came out recently? Heard all of them have dual TN panels in em'.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why wouldn't it? Pay money for the inferior variant while people who paid the exact same amount as you get the superior one.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that most probably don't give a shit about any of this.

Cause Nintendo is still installing TN displays in their N3DS line. Heck, the special Pikachu edition that just came out recently? Heard all of them have dual TN panels in em'.
The thing is, I've used both versions and really it's not that big a difference. I would be upset if my screen was so grossly inferior that it offended my eyes just looking at it. But it's not, it just mildly different. And unless someone set there pointing every single detailed difference, no one really notices nor cares. Only a small crowd of people seem to get bent out of shape about it like they paid extra for it.
You know what is something worth getting bent out of shape about? Hyrule Warriors on the old3DS.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Alex658

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only time I have really noticed a actual change in bluerness / dullness is when i'm using the XL's for the most part I could play on the smallest screen and wouldn't mind it at all.

Also to easily end up finding an ips screen is ordering a 3ds, wait, open it (don't break the box or 3ds.) turn it on, don't continue & decide if its an ips or tn.

If it's whatever screens you want keep it, if not return it :P

Repeat the cycle.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because having bought a 3DS on launch meant there wasn't any IPS panels available.

^ also that.

Reactions: naddel81

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs