Hacking How am I not banned?

Souperman9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The first time I did something ban-worthy was installing an NSP in 2018 with Devmenu. Since then, I've turned on 90DNS and installed a lot, as well as using mods for multiple games. About 6 months ago, I updated my Switch to install ACNH, but instead of doing it through ChoidujourNX, I decided to use the official method, to be safer. (In the future I'll just use daybreak.) So naturally, I had to turn off 90DNS, and found that I was still not banned - able to enter the eShop, new updated, etc. I figured that a ban was probably coming soon, so I didn't think much of it. However, I recently updated again so I could get a Dead Cells update, and to my surprise - I still wasn't banned. At this point I was pretty confused, as I should have definitely been flagged and banned months ago. I happen to be blocking devices connecting to non-local numbered IP addresses on my router, as well as a blacklist for the addresses released by Nintendo in response to the GDPR, so those are my only other layers of defense, ones that I assumed wouldn't save me. But somehow... I'm not banned. Why?

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bans are not quite as prevalent as people act like they are. But that doesn't mean you should let your guard down or not listen to what they say. I have a similar experience, I've been hacking for 3 years and have done everything you said plus much more and still haven't gotten banned. Same with lots of my friends, although some of them did get banned. You will never know for sure if something you do will or will not get you banned. Always stay on top of your guard to try and avoid them.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,
Reactions: pofehof

Souperman9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bans are not quite as prevalent as people act like they are. But that doesn't mean you should let your guard down or not listen to what they say. I have a similar experience, I've been hacking for 3 years and have done everything you said plus much more and still haven't gotten banned. Same with lots of my friends, although some of them did get banned. You will never know for sure if something you do will or will not get you banned. Always stay on top of your guard to try and avoid them.
At this point is there any point to try to "clean" my Switch and move everything over to eMMC?

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point is there any point to try to "clean" my Switch and move everything over to eMMC?
I don't think so in terms of avoiding a ban. If you want to get a clean slate, you can probably just stop hacking and you will have nothing to worry about. If they wanted to ban you, they would have done it already, so simply ceasing to hack will be enough. Given how long you have been going, just keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine. That's how I'm playing it out too, I don't even use 90DNS. I still download all my game and system updates normally. I still play (legally purchased) games online every day with no issues. Even hacking online is relatively safe as long as you don't activate any anti-cheat systems or do anything obvious, such as hacking on a leaderboard (I create my own codes so I know that my codes avoid anti cheat systems in the games I play, would never trust codes made by someone else to use online). Just don't play pirated games online and you will be fine.

I should also make this clear to anyone else reading, just because my reckless actions haven't gotten me banned doesn't mean it'll be the same story for you.

Souperman9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think so in terms of avoiding a ban. If you want to get a clean slate, you can probably just stop hacking and you will have nothing to worry about. If they wanted to ban you, they would have done it already, so simply ceasing to hack will be enough. Given how long you have been going, just keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine. That's how I'm playing it out too, I don't even use 90DNS. I still download all my game and system updates normally. I still play (legally purchased) games online every day with no issues. Even hacking online is relatively safe as long as you don't activate any anti-cheat systems or do anything obvious, such as hacking on a leaderboard (I create my own codes so I know that my codes avoid anti cheat systems in the games I play, would never trust codes made by someone else to use online). Just don't play pirated games online and you will be fine.

I should also make this clear to anyone else reading, just because my reckless actions haven't gotten me banned doesn't mean it'll be the same story for you.
I might try that, thanks. With how I've been going, it's a self-ban with 90DNS or an official ban, except I get to enjoy online for a bit.

Reactions: DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might try that, thanks. With how I've been going, it's a self-ban with 90DNS or an official ban, except I get to enjoy online for a bit.
That's how I see it too. There is no point on trying to avoid a ban if you self inflict a ban using 90DNS anyway. Unless you plan on eventually selling the console or stop hacking completely (which once you disable 90dns could get you banned right away anyway). I would rather enjoy all my time and get the most use out of my console than live in fear that Ninty will ban me.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it's anything like sony's banning policy, it's automated (the flag that is), then a person looks at the activity log to see if you've been doing something you shouldn't be. there's no telling if you've been flagged or been flagged multiple times. I know on the 360 there was a way to see if you had been flagged by using an app as something was placed on the system (possibly in the kv). something like that might happen with sony and nintendo systems as well. if you haven't been banned, don't grow complacent like the others have told you. it might only be a matter of time. microsoft used to flag consoles for ban, then ban them in a wave instead of individually. it's more cost-effective that way.

Souperman9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if it's anything like sony's banning policy, it's automated (the flag that is), then a person looks at the activity log to see if you've been doing something you shouldn't be. there's no telling if you've been flagged or been flagged multiple times. I know on the 360 there was a way to see if you had been flagged by using an app as something was placed on the system (possibly in the kv). something like that might happen with sony and nintendo systems as well. if you haven't been banned, don't grow complacent like the others have told you. it might only be a matter of time. microsoft used to flag consoles for ban, then ban them in a wave instead of individually. it's more cost-effective that way.
Sure. I'm definitely very aware that I have a pretty high chance of being banned, but as I said before it's either a self-ban or an official one. I definitely should have been banned in the past 6 months if the system works the way you describe and someone looked at my flag.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true, Nintendo does ban in waves. In OPs specific situation, he has been hacking since 2018, and many bans and ban waves have occurred since then. It's highly unlikely they're waiting 2+ years for a ban wave to happen, especially since many ban waves have already occurred between 2018 and today. As long as he sticks to doing what he's been doing for 2 years and doesn't try anything crazy like pirating games online and hacking world record leaderboards, he should be fine. Of course nobody can say for certain, so it's up to each person to make their own decision on this.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while it may be true that many self-ban themselves, I think most don't want an actually banned system regardless. it's tainted then especially if you go to resell it. on sony's website, there are several questions about bannings in a qa segment. one of them is about whether a ban can be lifted or better if a ban can be lifted if the console is sold. the answer is no to both counts. bans are permanent, and I think bans, in their second wave of steps, are overseen by people to make sure they didn't mess up. I've heard of sony accidentally banning reviewers before when they'd be playing a game early. they got a lot of flak for that. haha.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely fully automated. Automatically detecting pirated content would be/is extremely easy for Nintendo.
User goes online -> system checks ticket DB with Nintendo -> invalid RSA signature on ticket(s) -> ban

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I think a person may be involved after the initial flag. they'd have to be, because you couldn't know for sure if someone was flagged accidentally. that would be sony level arrogance then.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I think a person may be involved after the initial flag. they'd have to be, because you couldn't know for sure if someone was flagged accidentally. that would be sony level arrogance then.
Launching a title with an invalid/corrupt ticket on stock is impossible.
(Edit: actually, I think even having a invalid/corrupt ticket that can be read at all is impossible on stock)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first time I did something ban-worthy was installing an NSP in 2018 with Devmenu. Since then, I've turned on 90DNS and installed a lot, as well as using mods for multiple games. About 6 months ago, I updated my Switch to install ACNH, but instead of doing it through ChoidujourNX, I decided to use the official method, to be safer. (In the future I'll just use daybreak.) So naturally, I had to turn off 90DNS, and found that I was still not banned - able to enter the eShop, new updated, etc. I figured that a ban was probably coming soon, so I didn't think much of it. However, I recently updated again so I could get a Dead Cells update, and to my surprise - I still wasn't banned. At this point I was pretty confused, as I should have definitely been flagged and banned months ago. I happen to be blocking devices connecting to non-local numbered IP addresses on my router, as well as a blacklist for the addresses released by Nintendo in response to the GDPR, so those are my only other layers of defense, ones that I assumed wouldn't save me. But somehow... I'm not banned. Why?
Its simply; because bans are done randomly. If bans were distributed based on pre-defined factors, then everyone would simply avoid them making it harder to ban people. Keeping it random ensures that people who don't use full precautions will always risk being banned ensuring the most amount of bans.

Reactions: Souperman9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back