Suggestion How about rom hacking/translations/homebrew subforum for PS1 and PS2?

Lakum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Presently PS1 and PS2 subforum does not have any subcategories. GBATemp seems to be very popular for translations so I think adding rom hacking/translations subforum like the ones consoles like DS, PSP and 3DS already have could potentially attract new translators and increase the number of translations of PS1/PS2 games.

Last edited by Lakum,
Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By and large forum sections are added when demand for them increases to the point where they could sustain themselves or it is a logical thing (new console gets released, new console gets forums...).

The PS1 and PS2 are not either at this point and simply adding a section is unlikely to do all that much. If you want to make a thread with some tools and techniques, as well as maybe some quirks that are not present in other systems (say the outside the iso filesystem that square (enix) favoured at various points) then we could talk about making it a sticky.

Reactions: Deleted User

kelbiiz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
u99bet.net
XP
Country
I would be tempted to add subforums for game hacking in both the ps2 and ps1 sections, but there's not a high level of interest on that subject. most people that come here these days are mostly into getting their systems modded/exploited and running copies of their games. it's only on rare occasion that we get any help requests on actual game hacking itself. :)

Lakum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I would be tempted to add subforums for game hacking in both the ps2 and ps1 sections, but there's not a high level of interest on that subject. most people that come here these days are mostly into getting their systems modded/exploited and running copies of their games. it's only on rare occasion that we get any help requests on actual game hacking itself. :)
That's exactly the reason why it'd be helpful. Snes/Nes(on other sites) and newer consoles here have their own dedicated hacking, translation and utilities forums but PS1 and PS2 do not so adding such a forum on a popular site like this one would surely increase interest. Someone has to do the first step.

Last edited by Lakum,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sections themselves do not really increase interest from what we and other forums have seen, certainly not enough to justify adding to the forum complexity. Again though if you want to make a sticky covering things, some nice hacks and people do start to appear then it could be considered.

Better yet if you want to mirror some existing projects, do some basic hacks (a full translation hack is a very involved affair, simple tweaks and weekend projects generate no small amount of interest though), advance the state of the knowledge and generally foster things then such things could appear far sooner. I am wary of reading too much into the DS section as the DS was really taking off and hacking was quite nice on it but as nice as translation projects were it was documenting graphics ripping, simple SDAT sound pointer fiddling, cheat making guides beyond infinite health, sound ripping and general low level stuff that any hacker could probably figure out in a few minutes and someone just familiar with the idea of computers and maybe hex could do over a weekend that saw things really take off.
Bonus is from what I have seen the PS2 does not really have any unified/general purpose game hacking forums from what I have seen -- there are a few game specific ones, some covering things like TIM/TIM2 graphics and some emulation/cheat related ones but nothing like GBAtemp's DS or even GBA sections.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for...