Hotel Dusk Successor Chase: Cold Case Investigations: Distant Memories Coming to the West

On May 11th Japanese audiences got to enjoy a brand new game by former Cing employees, the developers behind DS's sleeper hits Hotel Dusk and Last Window. Now, courtesy of Aksys Games, players in the west will once again be able to try their hand at being a... rather unusual detective. Riddles galore awaits all 3DS fans with Chase: Cold Case Investigations launching on the eShop this fall. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to put my gumshoe costume already!

:arrow:Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Cing games were easily some of the best titles on the DS, among the few games that fully utilized each and every hardware component of the system, from the obvious buttons to the microphone, or even the lid. I'm eager to see what this game has in store - the staff involved has yet to disappoint me, so hopes are high. It's a bit of a shame that the game will have no physical release as I'd probably buy it twice - one copy to play and one to hold in a warm embrace all night long.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cing games were easily some of the best titles on the DS, among the few games that fully utilized each and every hardware component of the system, from the obvious buttons to the microphone, or even the lid. I'm eager to see what this game has in store - the staff involved has yet to disappoint me, so hopes are high. It's a bit of a shame that the game will have no physical release as I'd probably buy it twice - one copy to play and one to hold in a warm embrace all night long.
I actually ended up buying them twice. I sold my first copies because I needed money, then bought them again.
I've played pretty much every game that Cing put their name on, party because they're so few of them, but like you said, they are amazing. Trace Memories (Another Code for the rest of the world,) was actually my first DS game and it was a great introduction to the system for me. I never had a game really make me think about what I was doing and make me think about the story so much. Not to mention that art style just drew me in. I am glad I overlooked so many other games for that one because I ended up an amazing gem.

Reactions: emuashui

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
The music in the trailer is amazing and fo coruse the protagonist is handsome (my opinion...sorry to do this). I just recover to day Hotel Dusk, becouse my original copy have a accidentaly jump in wather one month ago ç_ç, and is amazing game. Probably the best game i play on the DS. I can't wait to have this and i hope this game get a European relase. Even if i can have the japanese version my rate on this leanguage is 0.5/10 (worst then my english) so unfortunaly i have to wait and hope for at least and english relase (even if i prefer a full translate title in italian).

Reactions: emuashui

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
looks pretty boring. :mellow:
The originals had plenty of depth to them, although they were dialogue-heavy. The initial impressions regarding this one are mixed or negative-leaning, but I feel that it might be nostalgia glasses at play - it's been too long since we've had a Cing game to play.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh that's wonderful! I always mean to go back playing the DS games, and now I got another good reason to do that. I got a bit into Hotel Dusk, but then my SD card crashed and I lost my save, since then I've restarted a few times but got busy doing other stuff.

Alright, let's go! :D

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say the DS games were the best ever but if I had to say which games were by far the most underappreciated and deserving of praise then definitely these games. I'm even surprised they are coming to the US after the poor sales and even some missing titles that never got localized to the US. Wonder if they could port or remaster the games on PC like they are doing with the Zero Escape games.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So the 3DS is too big to hold sideways like the old DS? And I read a review of the jap version back in may and I seem to remember that there were gonna be more episodes/cases. I'll see if I can find it...

And I remembered right! Here it is:
https://boukennonikki.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/chase-unsolved-cases-investigation-division/

It's a review, but it doesn't spoil anything. The game is pretty short though. I look forward to seeing cing's art style on the 3DS hardware.

Last edited by Zense,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, so the game is only one hour long? That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping the length would match Hotel Dusks length.
It would seem so, but I can see the reasoning behind it too. The first is that Last Window was a commercial failure (and that CiNG went bankrupt), so making a shorter game costs less and leaves less of a risk. Their games got good scores, but that didn't sell them. The second, seeing that the story doesn't end with this first game (at least I imagine), what they're doing is that they're gonna try to see how much the first sells before they decide to bring over the rest. Considering my last point, buying the game will make it more possible for us to get more. So.. Buy it! I don't really mind it being shorter episodes.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It would seem so, but I can see the reasoning behind it too. The first is that Last Window was a commercial failure (and the cing went bankrupt), so making a shorter game costs less and leaves less of a risk. Their games got good scores, but that didn't sell them. Second, seeing that the story doesn't end with the first game (at least I imagine), what they're doing is that they're gonna try to see how much the first sells before they decide to bring over the rest. Considering my last point, buying the game will make it more possible for us to get more. So.. Buy it! I don't really mind it being shorter episodes.
I'm just glad this is a thing, really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.