Gaming "Hostname not found"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was using uTorrent 2.0.3 and I updated it. Once I started using 2.0.4 it said that "Hostname not found" for any torrent I download. I've tried multiple sites (which I will not name) that are up and running with torrents.

I read this on the uTorrent forums and tried as was suggested at the bottom. I re-enabled the Firewall (mine was off), uninstalled uTorrent, reinstalled it, made sure the Firewall was allowing uTorrent, and tried again. Still no dice. I checked to make sure it was being allowed correctly and it says it is, but it simply won't connect. Even tried the "Check for Updates" thing on uTorrent and it won't even connect to that.

Any help?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
So I was using uTorrent 2.0.3 and I updated it. Once I started using 2.0.4 it said that "Hostname not found" for any torrent I download. I've tried multiple sites (which I will not name) that are up and running with torrents.

I read this on the uTorrent forums and tried as was suggested at the bottom. I re-enabled the Firewall (mine was off), uninstalled uTorrent, reinstalled it, made sure the Firewall was allowing uTorrent, and tried again. Still no dice. I checked to make sure it was being allowed correctly and it says it is, but it simply won't connect. Even tried the "Check for Updates" thing on uTorrent and it won't even connect to that.

Any help?

I had this in my inbox on a private tracker this morning not sure what trackers you use but:
QUOTESystem
URGENT READ AT ONCE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All µTorrent versions between 1.8.5 and 2.0.4 have been banned. I've left 1.8.5 for now, but for security reasons we will STRONGLYencourage you to downgrade to 1.8.2 and be careful.
Any µTorrent newer than 1.8.2 is
neither supported nor recommended. Maybe one day the BitTorrent
developers will develop a quality client again, but don't hold your
breath waiting for it.

THIS BECASUE THE OTHER CLIENTS FLOOD THE SERVERS WITH CONNECTIONS AND MAKE THEM COLLAPS

This didnt effect me any I'm still on uTorrent 1.8.4.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It could be a DNS problem. Are you having difficulties browsing to any sites?

You could also try deleting your settings.dat file for Utorrent. It should be located in "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent". That's the path for it in Windows 7. Replace 'User Name' with the user account name, also you may have to enable hidden files.

What firewall are you using? If you're not using the Windows one, make sure it's off and not interfering.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
It could be a DNS problem. Are you having difficulties browsing to any sites?

You could also try deleting your settings.dat file for Utorrent. It should be located in "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent". That's the path for it in Windows 7. Replace 'User Name' with the user account name, also you may have to enable hidden files.

What firewall are you using? If you're not using the Windows one, make sure it's off and not interfering.

I'm browsing sites and the like at regular speed, there's no problem there.

I'm using Windows XP by the way and I don't have any Application Data for uTorrent apparently.

I'm using the standard Windows XP firewall. I've tried with it on and having uTorrent as an exception and off.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm using Windows XP by the way and I don't have any Application Data for uTorrent apparently.

For XP it's “C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\uTorrent”.

Or another shortcut to it is start menu -> run and paste in %appData%\uTorrent

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Guild McCommunist said:

For XP it's “C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\uTorrent”.

Or another shortcut to it is start menu -> run and paste in %appData%\uTorrent

I checked the wrong place before but I was able to find and delete the settings.dat, but I'm still getting the "Hostname not found" and same problems.

EDIT: Okay, it randomly started functioning fine again, that's odd. I am uninstalling an old anti-virus that I don't use any more so maybe that was blocking it.

Well, thanks for everyone's help though, much appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: