Hori's Gamecube-ish Wii pad, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by randompikachu, Apr 1, 2011.

1. randompikachu
    OP

Newcomer randompikachu Newbie

United States
    I'm thinking of getting this for use with a Mayflash usb adapter (the one that takes the wii-mote plug end), I don't know much about Hori's products but this looked pretty interesting. But I wanna know more details, preferably from someone who already has one so I can get a second hand opinion and not just guesses. I want to know how well this controller is for both 3D games and 2D platforming games. I've only played with a GC controller at a friends (Soul Calibur 2, Smash Brothers Melee), and other than having a tiny Dpad it seemed like a comfortable controller (for the games it was made for anyway).

I wanna know the following so I may make an informed decision:

1: Dpad on the Hori appears to be larger than GC's, is it and how accurate is it for rotations / straight diagonals? Can you still comfortably play 2D platform games with it in the position it is in?

2: How tight are the analog sticks, no looseness (ie: wobbly tops)?

3: Are 'Start Select and Home' metal clickers (like the stock Classic Controller) or are they normal rubber membrane buttons?

4: How good do the YXBA's feel for say, Super Mario World, where you'd hold Y to run and flex and hit B with the butt of your thumb to jump?

5: How good do the L and R and zL / zR triggers feel? (I remember the one Z on original Gamecube being somewhat stiff)

[​IMG]

2. Pedro_Lambrini

Member Pedro_Lambrini Gēmu Bōi Adobansu

United Kingdom
    I can't say that I've tried this pad but my past experience of Hori products has been only positive. The Wii arcade stick is solid and well built and feels like a first party product. Same goes for the GC Gameboy Player controllers I have. Also, the Hori screen protectors for the DS are by far the best quality I've tried. So, long story short, if nobody gets back to you I'd take the risk as they are a quality company. [​IMG]

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    what in the fuck are all them switches for? [​IMG]

4. Pedro_Lambrini

Member Pedro_Lambrini Gēmu Bōi Adobansu

United Kingdom
    Lots of buttons requiring auto fire! [​IMG]