Hori to release left Joy-Con with actual D-Pad

l_5ab3312ed1b24.jpg

If you've been feeling let down by the Nintendo Switch's four detached directional buttons and miss the classic D-Pad, worry not, as gaming accessory manufacturing company Hori will soon be releasing a Joy-Con that has a real D-Pad. Hori's official Japanese site already has a picture of what it'll look like, as well as the technical specifications of the controller. Of course, there are a few drawbacks to this; you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con. This third-party left JoyCon will be hitting retail in Japan sometime this July, will come in a dark blue color only, and will cost 2,480 yen, which is equivalent to about $24.99.

:arrow: Source

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it comes with some sort of rumble. I always play in handheld mode so I don't mind the lack of gyro control or wireless capabilities.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll grab a couple and cannibalize a used joycon to see if you can put regular joycon internals into it and just use the shell/buttons.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer separated my self, but I don't like is really xbox\xbox360 D-pad in a disc

I like how Nintendo made it, just wished the right joy-con was at the same level as the left one.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well N aren't going to like that! E3 announcement?!
Why would Nintendo not like it? Hori is Nintendo's oldest 3rd party licensee. Nintendo officially licenses their products. It's a cheap alternative to buying a 1st party joycon. Nintendo knows that not everyone is willing or can afford the first party product, and can still make money from licensing fees. For people that only use portable mode and prefer an old school dpad, this product isn't bad at all.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why would Nintendo not like it? Hori is Nintendo's oldest 3rd party licensee. Nintendo officially licenses their products. It's a cheap alternative to buying a 1st party joycon. Nintendo knows that not everyone is willing or can afford the first party product, and can still make money from licensing fees. For people that only use portable mode and prefer an old school dpad, this product isn't bad at all.
even for portable only mode they could have added rumble... just because you play portable does not mean you dont want rumble.

Reactions: gumbyx84

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree. Rumble is a staple these days.
no to mention the reason it has no wireless and only works on portable mode is i bet no batery, since it only works in portable mode it wont have a batery and be continous leeching your switch batery, just wait and see.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no to mention the reason it has no wireless and only works on portable mode is i bet no batery, since it only works in portable mode it wont have a batery and be continous leeching your switch batery, just wait and see.
It really shouldn't affect the battery much, as there's virtually nothing in it. The lack of battery, wireless, and hd rumble is probably a cost cutting measure. Not to mention if it had a battery, the switch is constantly trickle charging the batteries of both joycons, plus Bluetooth and rumble use more power then not having them. If anything it would use way less power, and probably extend the battery life of the switch.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It really shouldn't affect the battery much, as there's virtually nothing in it. The lack of battery, wireless, and hd rumble is probably a cost cutting measure. Not to mention if it had a battery, the switch is constantly trickle charging the batteries of both joycons, plus Bluetooth and rumble use more power then not having them. If anything it would use way less power, and probably extend the battery life of the switch.
that makes no sence saying the switch would spent batery charging joycon batery, if it has no batery is constantly charging it noone stop so it even works so its constantly ticking the joycon charge...

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that makes no sence saying the switch would spent batery charging joycon batery, if it has no batery is constantly charging it noone stop so it even works so its constantly ticking the joycon charge...
I'm sorry I forgot that the joycon batteries magically charge without the switch. And with no battery...nothing is being charged...Plus no Bluetooth to drain power...and no rumble to drain battery. So the 3rd party joycon is literally acting as an extremely low powered wired HID, probably using less power than a keyboard or mouse would use. It makes plenty of sense. All day the joycon's bluetooth radio and he rumble motors are using power. Even if the joycons battery is powering said parts of the joycon, it would use that battery. Which would make that battery discharge, and the switch would charge it. More than likely the battery isn't being used when attached to the switch, which means the switch is powering the Bluetooth and rumble motors directly. Either way it is draining more power than it would without Bluetooth and rumble.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm sorry I forgot that the joycon batteries magically charge without the switch. And with no battery...nothing is being charged...Plus no Bluetooth to drain power...and no rumble to drain battery. So the 3rd party joycon is literally acting as an extremely low powered wired HID, probably using less power than a keyboard or mouse would use. It makes plenty of sense. All day the joycon's bluetooth radio and he rumble motors are using power. Even if the joycons battery is powering said parts of the joycon, it would use that battery. Which would make that battery discharge, and the switch would charge it. More than likely the battery isn't being used when attached to the switch, which means the switch is powering the Bluetooth and rumble motors directly. Either way it is draining more power than it would without Bluetooth and rumble.
cmon are you for real? joycons batery lasts well over 20 hours the switch batey lasts like 3-4 hours and when you charge the swithc the joycons also charge so your rarely if ever drain any batery from the switch unless you have the joycons on the controllers dongle and use docked switch you will never run out of joycon batery before switch batery...

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cmon are you for real? joycons batery lasts well over 20 hours the switch batey lasts like 3-4 hours and when you charge the swithc the joycons also charge so your rarely if ever drain any batery from the switch unless you have the joycons on the controllers dongle and use docked switch you will never run out of joycon batery before switch batery...
You are missing the point. If the joycon is at all under 100% it will still be charged by the switch. So in turn, it will still drain the switch battery. My original point was that they didn't add any of that as a way of cutting costs, and giving consumers a cheaper alternative to the oem joycon. You started the whole battery tangent. Having a battery in the joycon will not stop the joycon from leeching off the switch battery, having less in it to power will lessen the amount being leeched though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr