1. boombox

boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Yeah, I don't really get the 'disappointment' with the D pad either. It's a current console and there are peripherals you can buy if you're missing the D-pad for retro game-play. I'd say this is for a pretty niche audience.

Deleted-355425 and DarthDub like this.
  2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Thought this was a good idea, but when I went looking, only seen the "Add-Pad". Base on reviews, doesn't seem good either. Complaints about falling off. Not to mention, not sure what that adhesive would do to the casing of the Switch. I was kind of hoping to find a case that would go over the Joy-Con.

peteruk likes this.
  3. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    If you want a dpad, either case swap or deal with the shortcomings of this hori one. These ghetto dpad "mods" are a waste of time, effort and money.

4. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    Well like i said i use a different one wich i can't find a link for and it doesn't fall off and it basicly almost feels the same as a d-pad. That one was the first i could find and i linked it here to give people alternatives but there are surely other ones wich are better but it still is a better alternative and cheaper alternative

peteruk likes this.
  5. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    With all those cons, you might as well just dpad mod a nintendo joycon

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

Up through at least the Gamecube and maybe Wii years, I think the guy who claimed Hori stuff was better than Nintendo's wasn't far off the mark. Maybe not better, but at least as good. If their quality has gone downhill since, that's a shame. Last Hori product I bought was a 3DS-XL hardshell case - hardly something you'd measure by.

But if their stuff is not even up to 8bitdo's snuff, that'd really be a shame. I bought an SN30 controller to pair with my new SuperNT. Can't diss it overall - BT works well, action buttons and shoulder buttons work well. But the d-pad sucks. There's plenty online about why the d-pad sucks ... physical dimensions of the pad itself is not matching OEM ninty, and the layout on the PCB for the contact pads for the d-pad is simplified vs OEM ninty, resulting in diagonals registering too easily, too sensitively. I transplanted a real Ninty d-pad from a genuine controller (totally reversible, so why not) and now it only kinda sucks. There's also an easy mod done with small pieces of electrical tape placed precisely on the board to prevent unintended diagonals from registering - guess I'll do that too. I'm using it and it's fine for lazy platformers, turn based RPGS. But for run-n-guns & shmups, no way. 8bitdo gets a 'mixed' rating from me.

7. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy
    Banned

United States
    By better, you mean less features, less usability. Oh, like how Macs are somehow better than other PC's.

DarthDub likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I believe Hori was the one who made the fantastic N64 controller. So, I'll give em that.

9. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    They also made the Gamecube controller that was shaped like a SNES pad. High dollar item nowadays.

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Oh, right, THAT thing.. It's a high dollar item because it's obscure. The actual use of it was questionable at best and was just plain weird.

Last edited by Memoir, Mar 23, 2018
  11. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    FWIW, I've read elsewhere that the best d-pad available for the Switch so far is the wired controller sold for Pokken Tournament. But that's usb through the dock, so not portable.

Memoir likes this.
  12. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    I'll be biased here (since I own one) but I'd rather go for a SN30 if I want a proper dpad.

I have hori stuff but this one felt more like "ok let's go for a low risk (i.e. cheap to produce) controller that has its niche and see how it goes.

13. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    No they don't.

DarthDub likes this.
  14. Bonestorm

Bonestorm Banned
    Banned

Canada
    Mac OS is infinitely better than Windows.

Also Hori made a better N64 controller than Nintendo.

Last edited by Bonestorm, Mar 23, 2018
  15. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Why the di not make right joy-con with properly placed analog :/

16. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    TBH, first you want a properly placed analog, then you want a appropriately sized one, and a more comfortable sized grip... the solution, just get a Pro Controller and use the Switch with the kickstand on the go.

PS: A more comfortable solution for people that want to carry a brick sized but comfortable console on the go would be a complete case (with the corresponding correctly placed and sized analogs) with the size and shape of a Wii U gamepad where you just insert the switch and you use that to control it.

17. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Or make this one ;-)

18. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    They often had terrible battery life, though

Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. Subtle Demise

United States
    What I'm getting at is these 3rd parties keep cheaping out on bluetooth, even though it's standard technology at this point. The only exception was third party wii remotes.

20. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Yeah, but I remembered and was angry at how bad it was. My controller did have Bluetooth, but it might as well not have been wireless, given how the battery lasted like 10 minutes.... Lul

Subtle Demise likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - release, actual,