Hori to release left Joy-Con with actual D-Pad

l_5ab3312ed1b24.jpg

If you've been feeling let down by the Nintendo Switch's four detached directional buttons and miss the classic D-Pad, worry not, as gaming accessory manufacturing company Hori will soon be releasing a Joy-Con that has a real D-Pad. Hori's official Japanese site already has a picture of what it'll look like, as well as the technical specifications of the controller. Of course, there are a few drawbacks to this; you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con. This third-party left JoyCon will be hitting retail in Japan sometime this July, will come in a dark blue color only, and will cost 2,480 yen, which is equivalent to about $24.99.

:arrow: Source

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con.

about $24.99

Wow, with all those downgrades I wonder how it sells over $10. They don't even need to spend money in a battery for this one.

Reactions: KingVamp and Kioku

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
srs why would you wan a joycon that only works in portable mode? no rumble, no gyro, no lr buttons to do the 2 player thing since no wireless, its just useless imo.

Reactions: DarthDub and oji

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you've been feeling let down by the Nintendo Switch's four detached directional buttons and miss the classic D-Pad, worry not, as gaming accessory manufacturing company Hori will soon be releasing a Joy-Con that has a real D-Pad. Hori's official Japanese site already has a picture of what it'll look like, as well as the technical specifications of the controller. Of course, there are a few drawbacks to this; you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con. This third-party left JoyCon will be hitting retail in Japan sometime this July, will come in a dark blue color only, and will cost 2,480 yen, which is equivalent to about $24.99.

:arrow: Source
is it really that important to have a whole d-pad i never even noticed the difference on switch

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... there's none of the features that make the JoyCons have any appeal over a standard controller, and it can't be used docked at all, but now the D-pad has webbing and that's.... beeeetter?
What am I missing? The four-button layout isn't even a problem. I actually really like it for 2D-style games like Sonic Mania and Axiom Verge. Like I guess diagonals are slightly worse but that's a very small gripe compared to neutering half the functionality of the whole thing.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While the no wireless thing is a bummer, keep in mind that using the left joycon in horizontal mode with the dpad acting as action buttons would be awkward. Dpads dont allow opposing directions, or more than two directions to be pressed down at once.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
While the no wireless thing is a bummer, keep in mind that using the left joycon in horizontal mode with the dpad acting as action buttons would be awkward. Dpads dont allow opposing directions, or more than two directions to be pressed down at once.
This controller seems kinda useless though. No wireless option, or gyro or HD rumble... Essentially nothing that makes the joycon. All for a dpad.. I'd rather case swap..

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually rarely remove the JoyCons from my Switch and have no interest in Gyro or HD rumble but even still paying for these limitations seem poor. I've gotten very used to the 4 button pad that exists already as well!

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Case swapping is of course the best option, but not everyone knows these exist. Hori is basically using their distribution advantage over small time Aliexpress sellers.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Case swapping is of course the best option, but not everyone knows these exist. Hori is basically using their distribution advantage over small time Aliexpress sellers.
... And at $25 it's going to sell... Of course you're going to have the parents/grandparents that don't realize this won't work when taken off the system..

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually like the d-pad on the joy-con. I think I'm the only person in the world who does though lol. I like the clickiness. It's like a really nice keyboard that you can't help but tap 'cause the clickiness is just so nice.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of the wireless off brand PS3 controllers. Yeah, they were wireless, but instead of being Bluetooth, you had to plug a dongle into the system to use them.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I actually like the d-pad on the joy-con. I think I'm the only person in the world who does though lol. I like the clickiness. It's like a really nice keyboard that you can't help but tap 'cause the clickiness is just so nice.
I love em.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love them too. I was so disappointed with the Pro Controller Dpad; it feels so chunky and hard to press quickly by comparison. Had the same problem between the 3DS XL and the 2DS.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of the wireless off brand PS3 controllers. Yeah, they were wireless, but instead of being Bluetooth, you had to plug a dongle into the system to use them.
I didn't mind that. I actually have those. The only caveat is the lack of motion controls. Otherwise they're pretty good. I used em on my computer before I got the one controller.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games actually use the “d-pad”? Anyone asking for this is purely wanting it for that old school look and not for gameplay.

If it was a fully functioning controller licensed by Nintendo I would be all for it, but it’s not.

You can buy a modified and it will do everything a joycon is supposed to. Sometimes the price is worth it.
Ok wise guy, try celeste on the switch and see if you want a dpad by the end of it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok wise guy, try celeste on the switch and see if you want a dpad by the end of it.
TBH, Celeste plays quite OK on the Joy Con D-PAD (could be better)

And even though it plays better on my Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller (supposedly, but falsely, they have an improved D-PAD), it still shows some problems (I hate trying to dash to the right, and instead getting an up-right movement and getting KIA).

Just leave me with the Xbox One S gamepad D-PAD... it seems everybody else forgot how to make a good one.

Reactions: Daggot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.