Hori to release left Joy-Con with actual D-Pad

l_5ab3312ed1b24.jpg

If you've been feeling let down by the Nintendo Switch's four detached directional buttons and miss the classic D-Pad, worry not, as gaming accessory manufacturing company Hori will soon be releasing a Joy-Con that has a real D-Pad. Hori's official Japanese site already has a picture of what it'll look like, as well as the technical specifications of the controller. Of course, there are a few drawbacks to this; you can only use it in portable mode as it has no wireless support, there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con. This third-party left JoyCon will be hitting retail in Japan sometime this July, will come in a dark blue color only, and will cost 2,480 yen, which is equivalent to about $24.99.

:arrow: Source

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games actually use the “d-pad”? Anyone asking for this is purely wanting it for that old school look and not for gameplay.

If it was a fully functioning controller licensed by Nintendo I would be all for it, but it’s not.

You can buy a modified and it will do everything a joycon is supposed to. Sometimes the price is worth it.

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What games actually use the “d-pad”? Anyone asking for this is purely wanting it for that old school look and not for gameplay.

If it was a fully functioning controller licensed by Nintendo I would be all for it, but it’s not.

You can buy a modified and it will do everything a joycon is supposed to. Sometimes the price is worth it.
Hori makes better controllers than Nintendo.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aren't there joycon shells you can install that change it to a dpad while preserving all the functionality of the regular one? Personally I wouldn't really want one - the default buttons may not be as comfortable as a dpad, but they function perfectly and are better for precision IMO. I also use single joycon for multiplayer occasionally and that would be weird with a dpad on the right side.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats cool but the lack of wireless is a shame. I prefer playing docked with the joy-con grip myself. Hopefully Nintendo will announce their own soon or Hori will release an updated model.

Reactions: Minox

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems like it'd be something I'd like to use even with the missing features. Though I don't quite get why they wouldn't consider wireless to be an essential feature at least.

Reactions: Onibi
D

Deleted User

Over at Nintendo Life translated with Google translate:
When using this product, please update the system of Nintendo Switch to the latest version and use it.
A bummer. :sad:

Reactions: Red771 and LuigiXL

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...there's no HD Rumble or gyro, and there are no SL or SR buttons on the inside of the Joy-Con.

ehh? And this for 25 Bucks? Hell No!
For that money you can grab a really nice joycon Shell, buy "used" or new joycon and make yoursef a fully functionally custom joycon WITH a D-Pad!!!! And Rumble, and Wireless etc.
Like on this picture. The shell cost around 11-15 €...

jioy.PNG

Last edited by Frexxos,

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Over at Nintendo Life translated with Google translate:
When using this product, please update the system of Nintendo Switch to the latest version and use it.
A bummer. :sad:

So that confirms that the third party support for controllers has ben expanded from 5.0.0. It is a bummer but also good news :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good cheap enough and all the features it's missing are fine since we have pro controllers for when we aren't playing in handheld mode.

But I can't help but think that this means Nintendo isn't letting any offically licensed products use wireless. The wired third party pro controllers kinda made sense but this doesn't unless Nintendo told them specifically no wireless which means if we ever do get real third party joycons they'll be some fishy off brand.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
only works in dock mode (can he even be used with a cable\extention or something?)
missing HD rumble which can mean no rumble at all, or just not the fancy trademarked nintendo rumble
no gyro, i guess since it's a dock only controller, putting a gyro is pointless

for a "propper d pad" why did they even botter?
the lack of wireless it can't even be 2nd player aftermarket controller your younger bro gets to play with

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: