Hori Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by hankchill, Jun 19, 2008.

Jun 19, 2008

Hori Screen Protectors by hankchill at 12:05 PM (1,258 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. hankchill
    OP

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    So I bought some Hori screen protectors and a hard case from Play Asia. I've never seen screen protectors for such an incredibly jacked up price; I've bought a premium pack of screen protectors for the Palm for the same price, and there's 13 in the package.

Either way, I get these screen protectors, apply them, looks fine. The touch screen however is a little harder to use since the protector is on, it makes your strokes and drags a little jagged. I asked a friend (Salamantis) about that since he advised me to get the protectors, and he said to remedy this just use the cleaning cloth that came with it and wipe the screen for a few minutes.

Sure enough, I do that, try it out, and he was right, it was smooth, and stylus actions were much smoother and easier.

However there is now a tradeoff.

I opened my DS last night only to find the screen protector is totally 'smudged and blotched' up all over. I can wet my finger and wipe the screen down, and then use the cloth to clean it so it's clear again. Good, right? Wrong. This morning I open it again and it's even worse. I'd take pictures of it but I'm in the office. Basically it's difficult to see through the screen protector and even the wipe is not getting rid of the blotchy smudges. Keep in mind I'm the type of person who babys his equipment, so I would never allow my DS to look like that. I'm going to remove the screen protector, and would advise others who are considering a purchase to *not* buy these ones.

--Henry

2. Brocktree

Member Brocktree GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Wow you have the same name...Henry...
    and i have hori protectors and mine didnt end up like yours...strange.

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I got HORI fakes, and never had such "problems" ..I'm really satisfied with mine..
    They got a bit scratched, but that's the reason I got them..Maybe you got the faulty ones, probably messed or something..
    I haven't heard anybody had such experience..[​IMG]

4. Japhle

Member Japhle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's better than nothing, My DS has a thick scratch on the bottom screen about 1/2 cm, and a large ring in the middle of the screen it's pretty ugly, also my hinge has broken three times but it still works perfectly, well except the R button, but it's still the same DS lite since launch, so hahahaha.

5. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Same here. I'm on my 2nd fake Hori screen protectors as first one was so scratched, but it's partly blame to overuse of my DS. So I'm quite happy with fakes. For once!

6. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    My Genuine Hori is fine after 3 months of use. No smudges, 2 barely noticable scratches, and no problem with it what so ever.

7. PlooBloo

Member PlooBloo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My genuine Hori is finally scratching after almost a year and half. I've never had any of the problems you mentioned above.

8. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    I got some special wipes made for LCD's from the store, and wiped the screen clean with them. It makes the screen shine [​IMG]

Now the question is, will it stay shiny [​IMG]

We'll see. I'll leave the DS overnight in my case and see if it goes all smudgy again. If it's good, then Hori got off the hook this time [​IMG]

9. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    Which store did you get them from? The LCD screen wipers. I mean and what are they called?

10. hankchill
    OP

Canada
    They were from Staples, they say 'Monitor Cleaning Wipes' on them. They work pretty good for getting rid of the streaks, and they're good for CRT and LCD screens.

I think the DS screen is good, as normally after a few hours the blotchiness comes back, and it's not come back yet.

11. skagamer

Member skagamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good to hear Hank! Those Horis should last you quite a long time. =)