Hori Portable HD Gaming Monitor Pro. Does this interest you?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was watching some arms tournament on twitch, after it ended, they started showing ads for products and one of them was this. Here are specs.

HORI's new HD gaming monitor features ultra low-lag and a lightning fast refresh rate. This 15.6 inch LCD monitor is compatible with all consoles as well as PC. Featuring a premium leatherette built-in protector, a slim profile and weight under three pounds, this monitor fits inside most backpacks and computer bags. Gamers on the go and those looking for a portable second monitor for their laptop, look no further!
  • Adjustable design attaches to most consoles
  • Includes speakers and headphone outputs
  • Folds up for portability
  • Premium leatherette cover
  • Includes short HDMI cable and AC adapter
The price is $200 probably no one would want this even if the price was cheaper, lots of people would not get it. Many people seem to be focused on 4K and this is just a portable monitor for people's consoles. Not very big being 15.6 Inches, I mean I have a 17.3 inch laptop so I mean what your thoughts?

moved-cdff991404738c43ae3b650ba57992d7.jpeg

moved-58c298999af7f77895cbb48046d40238.jpeg

moved-cb722d2a223691821d70fc9a09d2a770.jpeg

moved-79b3cab008b92522fc34094346077552.jpeg

moved-1e1d5f831c17c06ce4446fd3318ba096.jpeg

moved-ba96b994e22856169b28b05223c88c5a.jpeg

http://stores.horiusa.com/universal-hd-monitor/

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Something like this is perfect for the older consoles that look like shit on bigger screen TVs. I Connected my PS3 to my 23 inch gaming monitor and it looked like crap - too fuzzy. Now admittedly that could be because I sit a lot closer to the monitor but given the fact that most PS3 games were 720p, I tend to think a smaller 720p/1080p monitor would be fine for when I want a quick blast on a PS3 game. Or even the Wii using an hdmi converter. For everything else, I guess it would be ok, but I'd be inclined to think people would want a bigger display or a higher resolution.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something like this is perfect for the older consoles that look like shit on bigger screen TVs. I Connected my PS3 to my 23 inch gaming monitor and it looked like crap - too fuzzy. Now admittedly that could be because I sit a lot closer to the monitor but given the fact that most PS3 games were 720p, I tend to think a smaller 720p/1080p monitor would be fine for when I want a quick blast on a PS3 game. Or even the Wii using an hdmi converter. For everything else, I guess it would be ok, but I'd be inclined to think people would want a bigger display or a higher resolution.
All people care about is Higher resolution, 4K GAMING HD WHOOOO! :P

Still I mean is HD and it has low lag high refresh rate so isn't that also important? I know the price is high but if it was lower, wouldn't still be a out of question purchase?:ninja:

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
All people care about is Higher resolution, 4K GAMING HD WHOOOO! :P

Still I mean is HD and it has low lag high refresh rate so isn't that also important? I know the price is high but if it was lower, wouldn't still be a out of question purchase?:ninja:

Well it's only just HD, the resolution is 768P. So it would be perfect for PS3 and Wii resolutions. For a standards PS4 you could make do. The response time isn't as good as I thought it would be at 8ms. But it all depends on what you want. I haven't jumped aboard the 4K bandwagon yet as it's swings and roundabouts. It is worth it? Is the difference that much more? What about the added cost on cpu/gpu to display at that resolution etc... I'm fine with 1080P for another couple of years.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got to be honest: I wouldn't even use it if someone gave it to me for free. Not because it's bad tech (at least: I assume it's not...if it is, I would use it even less :P ) but because it fills no niche whatsoever.

-afaics, the thing isn't usable when not plugged in, so you can't whip it out when commuting
-even if it was self-powered, you still can't whip it out on itself: you need to plug it into something. And that something (tablet, desktop, phone) tends to have a screen nowadays. The only exceptions I can think of is a raspberry pie (meaning: when you combine them, you've got a clumsy and expensive tablet) and a console (meaning: you've built the most clumsy console in existence)
EDIT: the GPD series (small android and windows handhelds) are perhaps a bit of an exception. I've got games I wouldn't play because the screen is so small that it makes things unreadable. But dragging a portable monitor around really starts to make holes in the reason someone gets a MOBILE device in the first place.
-it doesn't have an SD slot or other input devices, so even tablets are better for television on the go
-it's larger in size than a tablet, but without the all-in-one use -> it's harder to take with you AND you can do less with it
-the size and resolution mean you can't properly play hardcore games on it.

...and then the 200 dollar price point, meaning it competes with middle sized tablets. Just...wow. I don't mean to offend, but...who do they think they'll sell it to themselves? :unsure:

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what would be cool? Laptops with HDMI in. That way they could be used as portable monitors as well. Newer computers like the Surface Book 2 use USB-C for video output. Since USB-C can be used for all kinds of things, I wonder if it's possible to use it for video input on Windows 10 or something.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what would be cool? Laptops with HDMI in. That way they could be used as portable monitors as well. Newer computers like the Surface Book 2 use USB-C for video output. Since USB-C can be used for all kinds of things, I wonder if it's possible to use it for video input on Windows 10 or something.
Maybe with a software program, but wouldn't someone have to make it first? If vlc had support maybe? My laptop has a usb c cable, but I mean I thought it was for charging the system, is not. I heard usb c can charge laptops, but guess not this one. :P

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looks neat but the speakers are shit for sure.
The screen itself won't be as perfectly vertical like normal screens nor adjustable.
With cats in the house, that thing will die within 24 hours max.

On top of that, I already got a 100 quid 1080p LED telly with 2 HDMI, AV and AUX and build in speakers.

Enough reasons to pass on this "dumbed down" tablet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay