hopping on homebrew bandwagon late,

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sphere9, Jun 22, 2008.

Jun 22, 2008
  1. sphere9
    OP

Member sphere9 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    so i now have the homebrew channel installed on my wii, and no nothing about wii homebrew...

what are some neat things i can do with it?

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I primarily use mine to install VC and WiiWare games or emulate N64 games.

3. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Play emulators... That is usually the reason why people have homebrew enabled Wiis. Or maybe watch some videos. There are a few other homebrew you could try though.

4. sphere9
    OP

Australia
    i have tried using the emulators that came in the apps package from the homebrew channel website, when i run them i am unable to use the wiimote, and the 64 emulator froze, i had to hold the power button to reset the console.

5. Lacius

United States
    It's completely safe. Download the WAD Manager at http://skhsarki.extra.hu/files/download/Ho...an11_Anorch.zip and put the unzipped folder in your "apps" folder. Make a "wad" folder on the SD card and put in any WADs you want to install. Run WAD Manager on the Homebrew Channel and install the VC or WiiWare games you want.

6. sphere9
    OP

Australia

how would i obtain a wad?

is having the wii connected to the internet a good idea if i am doing this?

also are there different wads for different region wiis?

7. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is a list of many homebrew applications, which you can find here. Most should be compatible with the Homebrew Channel. Since you are using the Homebrew Channel, you won't need any of the loaders, as they were mostly created for the Twilight Hack. If you are interested in any of the homebrew on this page, just click on the title of it, and follow the instructions on how to set it up.

8. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Sphere, unless your shift keys are broken, can we try to get some decent sentence structure going?

9. Lacius

United States
    Yes. However, many of them out there are Region Free (patched with Freethewads) and work on all Wii's. Visit my thread at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89964 to see what WiiWare games have been dumped onto the Internet and what works with Freethewads (some of the games will require Freethewads since not every game has been dumped in every region; some are PAL and others are NTSC-U, but they've all been dumped and work). Also, Freethewads is not recommended for VC games: Just find one from your region.

10. sphere9
    OP

Australia
    thanks alot for your post lacius, greatly appreciated.

i've managed to install a wad (didn't realize it was jap though, dammit haha)

however the one thing i do not understand is when am i supposed to use freethwads?

thanks,

UPDATE: managed to install a wad in english, but when i try to run the channel i recieve a 'this channel cannot be used' error. i have to hold the power on my wii to turn it off.

11. sphere9
    OP

Australia
    will i recieve this error with every wad i try? i'm on limited bandwith so i can't really afford to keep downloading them...

12. Lacius

United States
    Once you have downloaded the WAD and it is a different region other than your own (PAL instead of NTSC-U, NTSC-U instead of PAL, NTSC-J, etc), you use Freethewads on it while it is still on your computer. You can either set it to *Free* (works on all Wii's) or set it to same region that your Wii is.

To use Freethewads, put Freethewads (and all the files that came with it) into the same folder as the WAD you want to check/change. Go into command prompt, get into the folder, and type "freethewads [wad name goes here].wad a" without the quotes or brackets. It will tell you what region it is in and what you can change it to. There is a compatibility list on my thread that I posted earlier.

What did you install that gave you the "This channel cannot be used" error? I've only had that problem with VC games from the wrong region.