Hacking Hoping to mod my Wii soon. I have a few questions.

Howler Monkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aside from installing a firmware update off of a game that's from a different region than your Wii, how else can a person accidentally brick their Wii?

Secondly, I've heard of program called RegionFrii, which seems to, as the name implies, make games region free. I don't understand the point of this program though. Don't mod chips typically allow games from other regions to be played anyway?

And finally, I'd like to get a Wiikey, but the website has been down for a long time. Would it still be wise to purchase one regardless? Or is there a high chance of it no longer having any support?

Thanks.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
RegionFrii uses the same method for region patching the games as modchips do. So if your modchip supports region free functionality, the program is indeed not neccessary for that purpose. It can be usefull though to check the true region of the iso file. Some releases may claim to be PAL for example, but they're just a region patched NTSC release. This could lead you to believe that updating is safe, but it's not. And you might brick your wii with it. So if you're not sure about the iso's region, use RegionFrii to check it.
And also, region free functionality is only partial. Not all games will run, and others may have problems. Check out the wiki of this site for a compatiblity list.

And nobody really knows what's going on with Wiikey. It may just be maintenance, or they have been busted.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with an open source chip.
Get a free PIC Microcontroller 12f683 I\P from sample.microchip.com
Get a JDM PIC Programmer off eBay.
And get a Wlip when it comes out.
No soldering! and its open source, so anybody can code for it. You will never have to worry about support.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No soldering! and its open source, so anybody can code for it. You will never have to worry about support.
Getting a PIC Programmer + shipping off Ebay is as expensive / more expensive than getting a commercial modchip (Wiinja Deluxe, Wiikey) that can be updated via DVD... I think I will order a commercial chip, because the price difference don't justify the need of opening the Wii every time you want to update the chip...

Howler Monkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

All of that seems awfully complicated. It looks like I'd have to program the chip myself to update it. I don't think I'm up for the challenge.

Anyway, I have one more question. Let's say I end up getting a Wiikey, and it turns out that the company that makes them have been shut down or something. Thus rendering the chip support less. Obviously I'd want to get a new chip in that case, but would it be possible? Is it possible to un-solder a mod chip? I don't know anything about soldering, so naturally, I don't know if undoing a solder and removing a chip is possible.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if it's a wired installation, and done well then yes you can unsolder the chip and place a new one in. if it's quick soldered then it;s still possible but more difficult

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that. I just placed an order for 3X PIC12F683-I/P, 3X PIC12F629-I/P and 3X PIC12F675-I/P PICs. I figure if I can get some extras (they actually allow you to order 12 PICs for free, but I'll just do 9) then I can program the extra PICs for friends that are interested in a modchip - then we can all split the cost of the PIC programmer. Now, looking in to programmers... on eBay there are loads of PIC12F629 PIC programmers for about $15 with BIN. Are those programmers able to program the other PICs that I ordered or just the 12F629s?

Also, let me get this straight: if I plan to get a Wlip, all I have to do to build my own modchip is to (1) get compatible PICs, (2) get compatible PIC programmer, (3) get PIC programmer software, (4) program PIC by plugging them in to programmer and running the software. Is that all inclusive? If so, this sounds like a great route to go!

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
Getting a PIC Programmer + shipping off Ebay is as expensive / more expensive than getting a commercial modchip (Wiinja Deluxe, Wiikey) that can be updated via DVD... I think I will order a commercial chip, because the price difference don't justify the need of opening the Wii every time you want to update the chip...
It's not actually. A PIC JDM Programmer costs 20$ including delivery worldwide. The PIC costs less than 1$, and there is even a 12F629 included in this sale, which works with most open source solutions. You don't need anything else as you can solder it with wires directly.

A Wiikey costs between 30-40$.

Therefore, cost-wise the open source chip is better.

Also, if the people at wiikey decide to stop development for the chip, you're screwed. If it happens with an open source chip (as happened with the WiiFree), you can simply flash your PIC with another code (such as the YAOSM).

If you wish not to solder directly to the board, then a Wlip is neccesary. The Wlip does cost 37$, but you pay that whether you use the Wiikey or an open source solution. It is actually easier to use the Wlip with a 8-pin PIC as the Wlip includes an 8-pin socket.

It is possible to mount the chip outside your wii so you don't have to open it everytime.

All of that seems awfully complicated. It looks like I'd have to program the chip myself to update it. I don't think I'm up for the challenge.
Programming the chip requires nothing more than the ability to read a tutorial and click some buttons. Programming a chip does not involve actually writing the code, it involves flashing the chip, which just involves plugging it in, choosing the PIC, and pressing program.

Also, let me get this straight: if I plan to get a Wlip, all I have to do to build my own modchip is to (1) get compatible PICs, (2) get compatible PIC programmer, (3) get PIC programmer software, (4) program PIC by plugging them in to programmer and running the software. Is that all inclusive? If so, this sounds like a great route to go!
Correct. As a side note, getting a PIC programmer software isn't difficult, so its not really a step
tongue.gif

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, since Wiinja Deluxe is more or less 20$ also, the price difference is really small, especially if you consider the Wiinja is "plug-and-play", and easily updateable.

Anybody know a place where it's possible to get a cheaper PIC programmer, or someone selling/giving pre-programmed PIC with open-source code on it?

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know a place where it's possible to get a cheaper PIC programmer, or someone selling/giving pre-programmed PIC with open-source code on it?
paul1991 suggested to me the following to programmers:
paul1991If you don't plan on using your programmer for other purposes, get this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:MEWA:IT&ih=005

If you want to program all sorts of chips, get this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Newest-Design-Microchi...1QQcmdZViewItem
I'm just going to jump on the first one as it's the cheapest one available. That'd leave me with 9 extra PICs (thanks to that site paul1991 previously mentioned). So I'm actually going to flash one myself, probably keep another one around for backup, and then flash and sell the others to offset the cost of my Wlip. But that'll mean I'll sell the programmed chips for like $6 or so to friends that want a chip but not go through the process of buying one and programming it themselves.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
InfernoZeus said:
The Wlip does cost 37$, but you pay that whether you use the Wiikey or an open source solution. It is actually easier to use the Wlip with a 8-pin PIC as the Wlip includes an 8-pin socket.
Wait, where'd you come up with $37 for the cost of the Wlip? I guess that's the conversion for 24.95 Euro to US dollars, but I don't know how much I'd rely on that. I guess I've been planning to spend upwards of $50 on the Wlip, but hopefully something more like $37 will be the actual value. Has there been any US price announcement? I've got $38 in credit on GamingLagoon and would be awfully pleased to know that I have enough credit there to cover the full purchase of the Wlip. I might need to email the Wlip team and see if they're ready to announce a price...

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the extra 37$ is a bit much if you can just get a wired wiinja
tongue.gif

And I wonder if the wlip is completely fixed now.
If you are just a gamer, and that's it, there's no reason to get your own programmable chip etc. Might's well just stick with wiikey/cyclowiz/wiinja or d2ckey if you have a d2c.

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
the extra 37$ is a bit much if you can just get a wired wiinja
tongue.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Buying the Wlip is a personal choice, whether you choose wiinja or an open source chip.
'you can just get a wired wiinja' - you can also just get a wired open source chip.

And I wonder if the wlip is completely fixed now.

Again, what do you mean by that? fixed? when was it ever 'broken'?

QUOTE(manias @ Jan 7 2008, 11:23 AM)If you are just a gamer, and that's it, there's no reason to get your own programmable chip etc. Might's well just stick with wiikey/cyclowiz/wiinja or d2ckey if you have a d2c.
Even as a gamer, surely you care about the possibility of changing to the most up-to-date code with the best features.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anybody know a place, preferably in Canada, that will sell the Wlip AND a PIC modchip (Wiinja Deluxe or open-source...)? I know Modchip Central will sell Wlip, but they won't carry Wiinja anymore, so I would have to pick a Wiikey from them, which mean... soldering to the Wlip.

EDIT: Tried to order PICs from Microchip, in case I decided to go open-source by myself, and got this error while trying to register with a Gmail e-mail:

"1. Register with a valid business or university email address and place your sample order"

Obviously, I DON'T have a business or university e-mail... what did you guys used??

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
No resellers have been announced for the Wlip yet, so I don't know how you are sure that Modchip Central will sell it.

Also, did you get that message after step one or step two? I haven't used Microchip, but I managed to get past step one (where they ask for your email) with a gmail account.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No resellers have been announced for the Wlip yet, so I don't know how you are sure that Modchip Central will sell it.

Wrote to them, and they said there is a high probability they will sell it. Also said they won't sell Wiinja Deluxe anymore...
frown.gif

Also, did you get that message after step one or step two? I haven't used Microchip, but I managed to get past step one (where they ask for your email) with a gmail account.
Got this message at the "checkout" screen, after the registration and the choice of the microchips...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn