Hop into McDonald's to get Hoopa for a limited time!

hoopa_by_deco_kun1.png
Between November 27th and December 23rd, head over to select McDonald's with your 3DS to get the mystical Pokémon Hoopa. This is the first opportunity for Americans to obtain this rare monster.

All you have to do is head to McDonald's with a copy of Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS and connect your 3DS to the Nintendo Zone after logging into the free Wi-Fi.

It's nice that this promotion is available for all four of the main Pokémon games for 3DS, but when it's in OR/AS it can transform into Hoopa Unbound! There is no information yet as to if this is a US based event only. This is one of the longer Pokémon events in recent years but don't delay to get this sucker.

:arrow: source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody want to try to hack this? I can not imagine they shipped a device/firmware/something to every mcdonalds for a simple promotion like this so I imagine the streetpass mac address stuff is probably what goes. Find a mac address of the router of a participating mcdonalds (will probably want you to go there with a laptop running a copy of wireshark/general network bothering tools, though android might have some stuff capable of finding it out) and stick that on a streetpass setup.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Anybody want to try to hack this? I can not imagine they shipped a device/firmware/something to every mcdonalds for a simple promotion like this so I imagine the streetpass mac address stuff is probably what goes. Find a mac address of the router of a participating mcdonalds (will probably want you to go there with a laptop running a copy of wireshark/general network bothering tools, though android might have some stuff capable of finding it out) and stick that on a streetpass setup.
Yeah it's certainly done through the streetpass mac address and I wouldn't be surprised if people can get him using homepass. It may even be as easy as changing your router's mac address, assuming that you're using that method of Homepass.

Obligatory promotion of myself showing people my method of using homepass which may or may not be outdated because I made the video over a year ago.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i was at FNAC, (a store where i got my 3ds and where they make the events here)
the instructions was to connect to the internet.. i tried local wireless didn't get a thing...
they had a nintendo zone setup there, i didn't need to go into settings and choose a internet connection, when oppening nintendo zone in a lower firmware it asked me to update the console, and it did successfully... after that i was able to claim the gift via "internet"

however, since i will not go back there soon... i can't get the mac address...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It may be even simpler, wouldn't surprise me if all you had to do is change the SSID for a special, promotion-only one, where MAC doesn't matter.

Has it been SSID in the past? To change SSID would be something I might place above the average technical nous of mcdonalds employees the land over, I suppose they could have used remote configuration but it still seems easier to just use a list (or pattern matching) from a mac address sent from the device in question.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mind translating that for us? Looks relevant but I have no idea what I'm looking at.
It's possible to get hoopa with hba homepass.

A short video showing that it is possible to get the belgian hoopa when emulating the nintendo zone. (eng description from the video)

Last edited by Sonansune,

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will definiately be doing this. I'm very close to finishing my dex anyway (just need zapdos, moltres, weavile, gliscor, and LOTS of event digis)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol