Honestly, the hacking scene was at it's prime back in 2008

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by caffolote, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caffolote
    OP

caffolote GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2008
    United States
    Back when the DS and Wii were the most talked about for hacking, and the 360 and PS2 got quite some attention too. Now the hacking scene has turned to a new low and the Wii U and 3DS have yet to be properly hacked for their latest versions yet. What's going on?

2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Todays systems are more complex and have better security so they take more time to exploit. Also, many devs and users have moved on to mobile devices and other competitors which further shrinks the number of people hacking 3ds's and WiiUs.

KingBlank likes this.
  3. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    how old are you

1stClassZackFair likes this.
  4. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere
    Well an exploit exists in the latest wii u version but it needs some tweaking from v4 one but so far not the average person cant do anything however progress is better than nothing and 3DS gawd knows :P Sooo far 4.5 is the best but Smea might change it all if his hack would go public as his is 6.3

5. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Only someone with the Wii U Common key can port the ROP loader over to 5.0 as they can decrypt the binaries from http://nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ccs/download/ I have the binaries for 4.1 but haven't gotten to looking further into the exploit yet (I've been busy). I asked comex for them and he said "not right now", so I'll get some more knowlege and ask again later. The 3DS has a browser vulnerability which allows userland ROP (yes even for 7.2) but is unstable. The problem is that not very many people have the technical background to understand exploitation and low level operations. People who ask "so does this mean CFW" or "when can I pirate teh gamez" are a PLAGUE to the scene because they are not interested in contributing to it. They are just leeches and are a complete waste of time/life in the eyes of a developer. Developers want to talk with people who understand (or at least willing to learn) the system architecture and exploitation vectors.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Not that I want to correct you or anything, but neither has the PS3 - he hacking scene has been married to 3.55 for years now and I don't see any indication that we're going to go beyond that anytime soon. That's not to say that it's a huge obstacle, but still. The DS hacking scene hasn't been all that shiny either - 2008/2009 were the years the DSi was released, and after a couple initial exploits, I'm not seeing a lot of development in that field either. I know DSi Mode wouldn't give a whole lot of benefits, but it'd be still nice to have anyways. The 360 I'm not all that familiar with, but judging from the fact that the most popular modding techniques are still hardware hacks like RGH chips and there's no organized one-size-fits-all solution like the Homebrew Channel on the Wii, I'm going to make a lucky guess and say that things are not user friendly on that front either.

The only recent systems that were blown open are the Wii and the PSP, the PSP to a lesser extent as 6.20+ firmware still requires Fast Recovery on newer motherboards. Let's face it, manufacturers are getting smarter and smarter - they learn from previous hacks too and gradually become wiser of the scene antics. Both the Wii U and the 3DS are relatively new platforms, and although many would argue otherwise, kernel level access on the 3DS, even if only on 4.5 so early in the game is already a huge success. The Wii U recently saw a user mode exploit go public, that might shake things up a bit.

Bottom of the line is that patience is a virtue here. There isn't such a thing as a flawless system and everything can be hacked - it just takes time, and as systems become more and more complex and attack options dwindle, it gradually takes more and more of it. Stay tuned - you'll find the latest hacking information right here as soon as it pops up. ;)

Snailface likes this.
  7. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere
    That was soo confusin i understood part and that was pirate teh gamez and i laughed XD

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    More like 2005/2006

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Are you sure? Michael Bay and Brett Rattner are hacks and they're still making gangbusters!

10. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Ugh, Michael Bay is about to murder the Ninja Turtles.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

More than just murder, desecrate their corpses.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  12. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

I heard he turned one of the shells into a urinal.

the_randomizer likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Nostalgia for an age that never existed applies to hacking now?

Sterling and Foxi4 like this.
  14. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    If I had the capability to hack a system, I sure wouldn't release it for the whiny entitled little shits that just sit on their ass all day eating cheetos and crying how shitty the scene is.

SLiV3R, Sterling, NEP and 4 others like this.
  15. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    It's better this way. Save up, buy quality games, play them to completion.

SLiV3R and EZ-Megaman like this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    [looks at the OP] On the Wii U and 3ds?

An odd line of logic. From what I have seen most hackers pay them little mind save for the occasional taunt.

Satangel likes this.
  17. Some1CP

Some1CP GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I've been interested in console hacking since the Wii homebrew days but I don't have any knowledge on this field and don't know where to start. And it takes time to know what's currently going on on the scene because of how closed they are.

18. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Oh great, this topic again.

Just merge the 2 topics or close 1, can't have the same discussion 2 times.

19. klauskinski

klauskinski Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    I know very little about what's involved in console hacking, but it seems to me that the Vita is crying out to be exploited.. surely the perfect platform for mobile emulation/homebrew with it's control options & glorious screen (1st gen models)
    I know there's a few methods via game exploits atm, but the options are severely limited & not least because you need a particular game to make use of them.. Is full (PSP level) access ever likely with the Vita or should I stop dreaming?

20. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I'm glad you added "Honestly" to the start of the topic, otherwise I would have thought you were lying. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.